Patient Comments: Cervical Dysplasia - Experience

Please describe your experience with cervical dysplasia.

Comment from: Hera, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Two and a half years ago, I had my first pap that came back testing positive for HPV. I had my first colposcopy 2 years ago performed by a doctor at the family practice I go to, which came back with no dysplasia. I have had repeat paps every six months. In December, I was referred to a "real" obgyn. I had my second colposcopy done in January on a Thursday and was told results will be mailed to me. She called me Tuesday and made an appointment for me to have abnormal cells removed. I am so scared right now. She didn't make it sound like it was anything serious but that it just needed to be taken care of. However, since Monday I have been spotting after sex, which has NEVER happened before. So many questions, yet everything I can find online says that it takes years to progress from precancerous to cancerous cells.

Comment from: twmmsforever, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I just turned 21 and last month when I had my yearly pap, it came back abnormal and positive for HPV. I've known I've had HPV for almost three years now but have never had an abnormal pap. My doctor performed the colposcopy and said I had mild-moderate dysplasia of the cervix. Since I am young, I have decided I am going to wait another four months and see if my own immune system can fight off the abnormal cells. If not gone or improved in four months, I will go ahead with the removal of the abnormal cells. My doctor said that since there is moderate dysplasia inside my cervix and not just on the outside, that freezing wouldn't be the most productive treatment. While it's always disheartening to hear negative news about your body, I am positive that my body will pull through and that I can cope with the consequences.

Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Hi everyone, I'm 40 and just had a pap done that came abnormal, so my obgyn preformed colposcopy( still waiting on results) and an Endometrial Biopsy(normal results). A month apart. But like the rest of you I am scared to death of what the rest of the test results will say. As some of you said the doctors lied when they said the procedures would not hurt, they are both very painful, I'm still hurting from the colposcopy I had done on Tuesday and its now Thursday. Although my husband of 22 years is very supportive while I (we) go through this process. May God be with us all as we go through this painful and uncertain journey in our lives.

Comment from: debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I am 48 years old and I was diagnosed with moderate cervical dysplasia. I had the leep procedure done and had some bleeding. Then after work one morning I started to bleed heavier and passed two quarter size clots. I went to the E.R and they stopped the bleeding. They let me go home and said to take it easy for a few days and if I started to bleed more than spotting to see my doctor. This has been a scary thing to experience. I had always had normal pap tests.

Comment from: Heartbroken, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

After having an abnormal pap smear last year, I began to wonder if HPV was a possible cause because one of my close friends had experienced the same abnormal pap and was then diagnosed with HPV. My follow up 6 month pap came back normal. Now this year's annual pap came back abnormal as well, but this time I am under the care of a new OBGYN due to the passing of my other. My new OBGYN tested my abnormal pap for HPV and found it to be positive. WHY was that not done last year, especially when the severity of the abnormality was the same?! Last week I underwent a colposcopy which returned results with a high grade dysplasia of the cervix. I have been crying all day since I have gotten the results. When I was younger I received all of the Gardasil shots but somehow have still contracted a harmful strain of HPV. Next week I will be having a laser ablation procedure and am SCARED to death. I really hope that my life is not going to be forever affected. My main point: understand WHY your doctor does what he does (or doesn't do in my case) and don't rely on shots or any other preventative method against HPV.

Comment from: Menoch, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I am 26 years old. I was diagnosed with dysplasia or atypical squamous cells (ASC-H)5 years ago in 2006 and had to have a colposcopy done to remove the bad cells that year. Then just recently, December 2011, I had to have another colposcopy done because once again my PAP smear came out abnormal. I am praying that I don't have to go through the pain of having a biopsy done again just to keep from developing severe dysplasia or cervical cancer. After having it done once, I was hoping it had gone away and I would not have to go back again for the procedure but after 5 years it happened once again...Now I am worried it will progress and I have to keep getting tested regularly.

Cervical Dysplasia - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Treatment Question: What type of treatment or procedure did you have for cervical dysplasia?
Cervical Dysplasia - Laser Treatment Question: Please describe your experience with laser photoablation to treat cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Prognosis Question: Have you had a recurrence of cervical dysplasia? Please share your story.
Cervical Dysplasia - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your cervical dysplasia?