Patient Comments: Cervical Dysplasia - Experience

Please describe your experience with cervical dysplasia.

Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Hi everyone, I'm 40 and just had a pap done that came abnormal, so my obgyn preformed colposcopy( still waiting on results) and an Endometrial Biopsy(normal results). A month apart. But like the rest of you I am scared to death of what the rest of the test results will say. As some of you said the doctors lied when they said the procedures would not hurt, they are both very painful, I'm still hurting from the colposcopy I had done on Tuesday and its now Thursday. Although my husband of 22 years is very supportive while I (we) go through this process. May God be with us all as we go through this painful and uncertain journey in our lives.

Comment from: debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I am 48 years old and I was diagnosed with moderate cervical dysplasia. I had the leep procedure done and had some bleeding. Then after work one morning I started to bleed heavier and passed two quarter size clots. I went to the E.R and they stopped the bleeding. They let me go home and said to take it easy for a few days and if I started to bleed more than spotting to see my doctor. This has been a scary thing to experience. I had always had normal pap tests.

Comment from: Heartbroken, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

After having an abnormal pap smear last year, I began to wonder if HPV was a possible cause because one of my close friends had experienced the same abnormal pap and was then diagnosed with HPV. My follow up 6 month pap came back normal. Now this year's annual pap came back abnormal as well, but this time I am under the care of a new OBGYN due to the passing of my other. My new OBGYN tested my abnormal pap for HPV and found it to be positive. WHY was that not done last year, especially when the severity of the abnormality was the same?! Last week I underwent a colposcopy which returned results with a high grade dysplasia of the cervix. I have been crying all day since I have gotten the results. When I was younger I received all of the Gardasil shots but somehow have still contracted a harmful strain of HPV. Next week I will be having a laser ablation procedure and am SCARED to death. I really hope that my life is not going to be forever affected. My main point: understand WHY your doctor does what he does (or doesn't do in my case) and don't rely on shots or any other preventative method against HPV.

Comment from: Menoch, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I am 26 years old. I was diagnosed with dysplasia or atypical squamous cells (ASC-H)5 years ago in 2006 and had to have a colposcopy done to remove the bad cells that year. Then just recently, December 2011, I had to have another colposcopy done because once again my PAP smear came out abnormal. I am praying that I don't have to go through the pain of having a biopsy done again just to keep from developing severe dysplasia or cervical cancer. After having it done once, I was hoping it had gone away and I would not have to go back again for the procedure but after 5 years it happened once again...Now I am worried it will progress and I have to keep getting tested regularly.

Comment from: Meghan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I was recently told that I have more abnormal cell growth around the area of my vaginal opening that I had laser ablation on a year and a half ago. My cervix is normal and I have clean paps but I experience a lot of pain and tearing during sex where these abnormal cells are growing. I went through physical therapy after my surgery to break down the scar tissue that developed from biopsies and the ablation. (Yes, there is such a thing. I was skeptical in the beginning but it was amazing how it helped the pain.) Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation is what saved me from a life of painful sex. It's not 100% pain free but it is leaps and bounds from where I started. This disease has taken a lot from me. Money, time off of work, the ability to be intimate with the man I love, and ultimately my marriage. I just paid off my last medical bill from the surgery that took place a year and a half ago last month thinking that the experience was behind me only to go in for a checkup and be referred to another oncologist for the same thing. I am worried that my current boyfriend won't stick around while I go through this painful, expensive and disheartening experience all over again. I'm not scared of cancer, surgery, pain, or embarrassment, just that I will once again lose someone I love because of this awful disease.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: December 05

My sexual partner (at the time) did not disclose that he had the HPV, although he knew. He said his GP told him not to worry, that everyone gets it. Thanks to him, I now have to do the rounds of colposcopy, biopsy etc etc, after having normal smears for the last 35 years (I'm now 53). I am so angry that because of his negligence in not advising me, I now have to endure the expense, stress and frustration of ongoing procedures. Men need to understand that for them, it's not potentially life threatening but for us women it is. They should have to pay all medical bills when they are aware that they carry the virus and do not disclose this to their partners.

Cervical Dysplasia - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Treatment Question: What type of treatment or procedure did you have for cervical dysplasia?
Cervical Dysplasia - Laser Treatment Question: Please describe your experience with laser photoablation to treat cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Prognosis Question: Have you had a recurrence of cervical dysplasia? Please share your story.
Cervical Dysplasia - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your cervical dysplasia?