Patient Comments: Cervical Dysplasia - Experience

Please describe your experience with cervical dysplasia.

Published: June 04

In 2002 at the age of 30, I was diagnosed carcinoma-in-situ after dysplasia and a cone biopsy. I had a partial hysterectomy. Then in 2004, at 32, I had my ovaries removed due to very large cysts. Now, at 40, I just had an annual exam with my Oncologist and the results of my PAP were abnormal with mild/moderate dysplasia again. I'm scheduled to go back this Thursday for a biopsy. I don't know what the next steps will be.

Comment from: zoie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I am 24 and was just diagnosed a couple weeks ago with having mild dysplasia cin1. Now is the waiting game I was told, It's not too severe to do a procedure but it's not, not there. Should I go in for a second opinion right now even though it's only mild dysplasia or should I wait. I'm not really sure as to what to do, this was my first abnormal pap and finding out I have a low grade of HPV. I have read endless info on everything to do with HPV and so forth I am just confused on what to do next.

Comment from: Grandma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I am so sorry, all of you are going through the pain and agony of abnormal Pap tests, dysplasia and cancer. I was 24 in 1975 when I received a post card in the mail saying I needed to call the office, They did a repeat PAP test that came back as Class 3 dysplasia, I then had a D&C. They decided to follow it for a few months. I felt very lucky because I was married with 2 children. I wanted more children but I didn't have a clue what as going to happen next. I did know my grandmother had died at 31 of uterine cancer, and I didn't want that to happen. After two years of biopsies and colpops, they did a full hysterectomy. My doctor said I was very lucky because it had spread outside the uterus but he thought they had gotten it all. My biopsy report said the margins of resection are clean - those were the best words I ever heard. That was very scary at 25 years of age. I went through menopause three times, at 25, at 38 and again at 55. I never had another problem after the hysterectomy. Two things I wanted to say, I was a virgin when I married and never had sex with anyone else. Neither did my husband. So HPV isn't the only cause of dysplasia and uterine cancer. Secondly, if you are young, I would have some eggs stored away so if need be you can have children by surrogate. I know it's not the way you want to do it, but you are better off prepared and then if you have to have a hystero - if won't be as horrific. Women today are lucky in that most men are more informed, my husband never understood why I was upset and after the hysto - he pretty much said, there is nothing to be upset about - if it fixed. Hang in there; always get a second or third opinion on both the diagnosis and on what to do for surgery. It is well worth the extra time and effort.

Comment from: momofthree, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I am 38 years old. I gave birth to my third child 4 months ago. During my pregnancy precancerous cells were discovered. It was said to be mild and I was not treated, other than colopo for monitoring during the pregnancy. I have just returned for my after birth follow-up regarding these abnormal cells. Yesterday I had a biopsy of one of the spots that now looks "bad" according to my doctor. I will return in 2 weeks to discuss the results and see what the future holds regarding treatments, etc. I have three sons who need their mommy and I'm counting on this being treatable! Have any of you had a similar experience and if so, please share...good, bad, or ugly...I just want to be as informed as possible. Thanks.

Comment from: Hera, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Two and a half years ago, I had my first pap that came back testing positive for HPV. I had my first colposcopy 2 years ago performed by a doctor at the family practice I go to, which came back with no dysplasia. I have had repeat paps every six months. In December, I was referred to a "real" obgyn. I had my second colposcopy done in January on a Thursday and was told results will be mailed to me. She called me Tuesday and made an appointment for me to have abnormal cells removed. I am so scared right now. She didn't make it sound like it was anything serious but that it just needed to be taken care of. However, since Monday I have been spotting after sex, which has NEVER happened before. So many questions, yet everything I can find online says that it takes years to progress from precancerous to cancerous cells.

Comment from: twmmsforever, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I just turned 21 and last month when I had my yearly pap, it came back abnormal and positive for HPV. I've known I've had HPV for almost three years now but have never had an abnormal pap. My doctor performed the colposcopy and said I had mild-moderate dysplasia of the cervix. Since I am young, I have decided I am going to wait another four months and see if my own immune system can fight off the abnormal cells. If not gone or improved in four months, I will go ahead with the removal of the abnormal cells. My doctor said that since there is moderate dysplasia inside my cervix and not just on the outside, that freezing wouldn't be the most productive treatment. While it's always disheartening to hear negative news about your body, I am positive that my body will pull through and that I can cope with the consequences.

Cervical Dysplasia - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Treatment Question: What type of treatment or procedure did you have for cervical dysplasia?
Cervical Dysplasia - Laser Treatment Question: Please describe your experience with laser photoablation to treat cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Prognosis Question: Have you had a recurrence of cervical dysplasia? Please share your story.
Cervical Dysplasia - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your cervical dysplasia?