Patient Comments: Cervical Dysplasia - Experience

Please describe your experience with cervical dysplasia.

Comment from: Hershey Girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

At age 38, married, I was diagnosed with HPV; a virgin when married with one sex partner ever. I had freezing done in office. Now, I am age 61 years. I am divorced. I had no sex for nine years and practiced safe sex before that. I had atypical cells, and had to have a LEEP procedure from the same area noted from flap of tissue growth there. It was never biopsied from first procedure over 30 years ago. Pap test every year is fine. This pap atypical cells indicating cervical dysplasia.

Comment from: CmLawrence, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I'm a 32 year old female who has always had normal Paps. Two months ago I had my usual Pap and I had atypical cells and inconclusive results of HPV. The next month I repeated the Pap and the Pap was negative with positive HPV. Three weeks later I had a biopsy done and a small, very small white patch was found during the exam. I'm still awaiting the results. I personally opted to be biopsied. I'm glad I did, it just may have saved my life!

Comment from: girlie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

When I was 16 I was told by my doctor I had cervical dysplasia. They sent me for a biopsy right after because of the severity and I went in for laser surgery 2 weeks later. I"m now 27 years old and pregnant with my first child. No problems thus far but worried because I just read it can cause preterm labor.

Comment from: Julia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am 27 years old, and I have been diagnosed with severe dysplasia. I had been told before, during and after my pregnancy that there were a few abnormal cells on my cervix but nothing for me to be worried about. I then went two years without having a PAP smear (not having a doctor, and having a small child can keep your mind off of these things). I am going in tomorrow to have the cells lasered off, and I am terrified. They did the biopsy and told me that there would be no pain involved! Boy were they ever wrong!!! I hurt like crazy for the rest of the day. My husband seems to be entertaining the idea that I've cheated on him (which I have NOT) because this was caused by this HPV. I'm worried, embarrassed, and unsure as to the future possibility of having another child. I've read some of the other comments on here, about hysterectomies, and I know my mother had to have one, albeit for different reasons, but still. Wish me luck, and for Pete's sake, get your PAP smears done, on schedule!!!! Save yourself some of the emotional upheaval that some of us have had to go through.

Comment from: ds77, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I am a 50-year-old female. I contracted a mild-to-moderate case of cervical dysplasia when I was 23 years old. I had laser surgery. I got married and had three children. When I turned 36, it came back severe with CIN2. I had a LEEP procedure. When I turned 43, I developed severe bleeding and was diagnosed with HPV with the deadliest cancer-causing strain. A uterine ablation was performed but ultimately failed. My gynecologist prescribed additional testing and found tumors and fibroids. My radical hysterectomy came at the age of 46. I strongly recommend being an advocate for your health and wellness. I lost a friend at the age of 31 to cervical cancer because she could not find a doctor that would take a radical move to cure her. After, she passed, her oncologist also died. Seek treatment and second opinions; it just might save your life. I know first-hand, and I am grateful that I did. I am doing quite well.

Comment from: Jade, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I"m 24 years old. I went in for a routine Pap smear and honestly didn"t expect any abnormality to be detected as the last two came back normal. Cervical Dysplasia was detected and I had to have a colposcopy and a punch biopsy done a few days later. The biopsy felt like a pinch that lasted less than 5 seconds and I wouldn"t describe it as painful but more so a strange feeling. I had a little bit of spotting for two days afterwards.

Comment from: bgsu1983, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

In 1991 I was diagnosed with cervical dysplasia, cryotherapy was performed and I had no abnormal Pap smears until 2010. During this time I was going through a difficult period within my marriage. I suspected my husband was seeing someone else, and passed the new HPV on to me. I now am scheduled for a loop, colposcopy, hysteroscopy and D & C, and I am scared and angry.

Cervical Dysplasia - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Treatment Question: What type of treatment or procedure did you have for cervical dysplasia?
Cervical Dysplasia - Laser Treatment Question: Please describe your experience with laser photoablation to treat cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Prognosis Question: Have you had a recurrence of cervical dysplasia? Please share your story.
Cervical Dysplasia - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your cervical dysplasia?