Patient Comments: Cervical Cancer - Risk Factors

Did you have any of the risk factors for cervical cancer at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?

Comment from: g, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I am 26 have 2 children 5 years and 2 years old. When pregnant with my 1st child I had a very bad bleed during sex and was told by my doctor to have a smear test after I had the baby. Everything was ok, I never bled again so I never got the smear test done. In the last few months I have started bleeding during sex and sometimes between periods. For 3 weeks I've had a very bad pain in my lower back that pain killers will not take away. I went for a smear test yesterday and bled a lot. My dad has head and neck cancer, at the moment I am really scared, everything online says cancer.

Comment from: jmon42709, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I tested positive 3 years ago for the HPV virus. I have had only one abnormal pap smear in the past. I have had 2 husbands in 37 years. Which means that I have had 2 sex partners during that time. I am scared. I am also a survivor of bladder cancer with 4 surgeries for that cancer. I have been free for 3 and 1/2 years. I do not know which husband was the carrier. I am not mad at him for the symptoms are silent in men. I made the mistake of not having a new pap smear in 3 years. I lost my job and insurance so I could not afford it. I am scared. I want to learn more and pass the information to others who do not understand. That is the key/education. We must educate all ages. As I talk to people, at least 75% do not know what it is. That is scary. My grand daughter is going to be vaccinated. She just turned 15 years old. This is real!

Comment from: Savannah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I had always been very careful about having regular, annual GYN check-ups. So it was in December that my doctor told me I had an irregular pap test result which indicated precancerous cells (stage II) were present. I knew from previous pelvic exams that I had apparently been born with a 'cervical lesion'. This had a tendency to cause infrequent, mild infections requiring antibiotics 2-3x's over a 10 year span. However, when I returned for a second pap test in February the cervical cancer had advanced to stage IV cancer. They initially did two cryogenic fezzes if the area which did not stop the cell growth. I also required a more radical procedure, punch biopsy to remove all cancerous cells surrounding the opening of my cervix. Thankfully, this treatment has produced normal pap tests ever since. On another note, I did not have any medical coverage at that time and the hospital provided full coverage under their "uncompensated medical services” policy. I believe all hospitals have some funds set aside for just such cases, but one must simply inquire (insist!) and fill-out appropriate forms. I urge all women to get regular pap tests. It could save your life.

Comment from: Timaima Dau, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I was detected of cervical cancer on January this year after attending my pap smear, which I usually did at the end of every year beginning from 1994.The doctor said that it was the 1st stage but when my biopsy result came, it was in stage three. I just need to take some antibiotics and to be reviewed in the next three months. I didn't know that I had cancer because I did not experience all the signs and symptoms that the doctor said should be happening to me. So, sometimes when you get the signs, you might be in the later stages. Come on women: Attend your pap test regularly, and don't take the risk.

Comment from: k;'s grandma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had regular pap tests. I was bleeding very heavy and had bad cramps. My bleeding would last for 18 to 20 days and stop for a couple days, then start all over again. I wasn't diagnosed with cervical cancer until a doctor could see the tumor, which was golf-ball size. Women have got to know that just because the pap test comes back normal does not mean everything is fine. Any big change in bleeding, and you have got to have a biopsy done.

Comment from: nikki, Female (Patient) Published: August 14

The only sign I had was bleeding after sex. I let this go on for 6 months before I finally went in to see my doctor. I am glad I did. I ended up having my uterus and cervix removed at age 26. I do wish they would have offered other treatments besides the hysterectomy, but they didn't. I am alive so please don't wait to get tested!

Cervical Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with cervical cancer?
Cervical Cancer - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your cervical cancer?
Cervical Cancer - Share Your Experience Question: Did you have cervical cancer or a precancerous cervical condition? Please share your experience.
Cervical Cancer - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests or exams that led to a diagnosis of cervical cancer.
Cervical Cancer - Share Surgery Experience Question: Did you have a surgical procedure to treat cervical cancer or a precancerous condition? Please share your experience.