Patient Comments: Cervical Cancer - Risk Factors

Did you have any of the risk factors for cervical cancer at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?

Comment from: sam, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I am 34 and have three children. Last year, I was diagnosed with cervical cancer, stage II. I used to smoke, and my smear test was six months late. After a visit to my general practitioner, he told me to take some tablets to stop my slightly unusual bleeding. Eventually, I lost two liters of blood and was rushed to the hospital where they discovered the cancer.

Published: July 02

I have cervical cancer and have had a LEEP. I now have an incompetent cervix. A couple years later when I became pregnant I was on bed rest for 6 months and had to have stitches put in my cervix to hold it shut so I would not loss the baby. Just make sure if you have this procedure done you talk things over with them right away if you become pregnant. I now have a beautiful healthy daughter.

Comment from: barann42, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I knew something was wrong but didn't have any Idea that it was Cervical Cancer, I was spotting and had real bad leg pains, my back started hurting, and when I would have sex it was painful. I went to the Doctor and had a paps and that's when I found out. Now I have to go in for more tests and treatment. They said it was in its early stages.

Comment from: Debra, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was diagnosed with cervical cancer and severe dysplasia years ago. I was lucky that they caught it in the 1st stages. For years my paps had come back normal. It was my nurse practitioner who was concerned with my cervix bleeding at the slightest touch. Whenever I had a pap who insisted on making sure I got a LEEP. I had a radical hysterectomy and was lucky it had not spread to my lymph nodes. I was also able to keep my ovaries. For all the years my paps came back normal, my Gynecologist had said my cervix bled easily, but did not press for further tests. I'm lucky I had already had my son. I was 33 at the time. I hope this helps. Push for tests at any abnormality.

Comment from: desiann, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I am scared. I am 20 years old and have an 18 month old son. I am recently divorced. My ex husband cheated very regularly, but I didn't find out about it for some time. Now I am with a great guy and have been with him for a year. I went to the health dept to get on birth control because I am about to go back to college. They did a pap and they found precancerous cells. They said I may have cervical cancer and need to be farther tested. I have no insurance my ex doesn't even help me with the baby. I don't even know what to do next.

Comment from: Tammy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

June 1st I was told I have cervical cancer. I had very heavy bleeding the end of May. I did not have a regular pap test. I received chemo, internal, and external radiation (which by the way was no joke). It has been a hard climb, but I did make it over the mountain with good news!

Comment from: carry, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have been bleeding in between periods for nearly 2 years now and my doctor just put it down to a miss carriage now its getting worse I was watching a program on TV and there was a women on it who had the same symptoms as me and she was diagnosed with cervical cancer. I have now been to another doctor who has transferred me to a specialist.

Comment from: mommy zycheen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I'm 29, married and with one son, who just turned 2 years. Prior to my son's 2nd birthday, I had my DNC/ fractional curettage. My OB had my tissue/cell under biopsy. It was found out that I have cervical cancer. I have no symptoms, no discharge, and no bleeding or even pains. My only fear for this moment in time is about financial worries. I'm very positive about my remission. I believe in God, I believe in technology.

Cervical Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with cervical cancer?
Cervical Cancer - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your cervical cancer?
Cervical Cancer - Share Your Experience Question: Did you have cervical cancer or a precancerous cervical condition? Please share your experience.
Cervical Cancer - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests or exams that led to a diagnosis of cervical cancer.
Cervical Cancer - Share Surgery Experience Question: Did you have a surgical procedure to treat cervical cancer or a precancerous condition? Please share your experience.