Patient Comments: Cervical Cancer - Risk Factors

Did you have any of the risk factors for cervical cancer at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was 25 years old at the time I had severe vaginal bleeding for 8 months back and hip pain before final diagnosis of severe discarriaosis which ended up being stage 3 grade 2 cervical cancer. A year after months of chemotherapy and radiotherapy I have been told I am in remission for now.

Comment from: whaddyano, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I went for my usual six-month checkup and was told that I likely had an increase in my white cell count. I was told to go to a specialist to have it further tested. I went to the specialist and had a biopsy. She told me it would require “treatments.” It turns out that I had a fast growing cancer. Four months later, I had a radical hysterectomy, and thankfully, no cancer was found in my surrounding lymph nodes, which meant the chance for a cure was great. There was no cancer before ever. I went to my appointments every six months. I have no family history of cervical cancer (only breast cancer); I've never had any STDs; I haven't had multiple sex partners; and I don't HPV. Perhaps, when people are aware that one has cervical cancer, they won't look at it as being a "dirty woman" disease like my family did. What a disgrace! Cervical cancer happens because it happens, the risk factors increase chances.

Comment from: Mel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in May. It took 11 months for the doctors to figure this out. I went to the doctor in June because of very heavy vaginal discharge. I bled on occasion during intercourse. At 1st they thought I had polyps, then they thought I had an infection and gave me antibiotics and was told to come back in three months. After three months they gave me an appointment for a colposcopy. In mid May I had my appointment for the colposcopy, but by then the tumor had grown so quickly that my only option for treatment was a radical hysterectomy and a pelvic lymphoidectomy. I had that June 4. They say they got all the cancer, but I still have to go for chemo and radiation as a preventative measure to reduce the chances of the cancer reoccurring.

Published: July 31

I was diagnosed with Cervical Cancer. I do not know the: stage/grade as yet. My symptoms included: heavy bleeding (changing pads every hour), bleeding while not menstruating, back pain that radiates from hip to hip, severe cramping, diarrhea, discharge, and fatigue. From the amount of physical/sexual abuse I suffered as a child, I hadn't had a pap smear in 9 years. I had begun periods at 10 years of age, which had always been irregular. I have felt unwell for a long time, but when I started to bleed in this way, I knew I had to seek out help. I am 41 years old, never given birth to child, have NOT used birth control pills, and am scheduled for a CT scan of my abdomen/pelvis tomorrow.

Comment from: Clara , 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 17

I went for a routine pap smear after my second son was born and was shocked to be diagnosed with pre cancerous cells. I was 30 years old and was not sexually active as a teenager, did not have multiple partners, and there was no other cancer in my family. I was shocked for about a month. I was given counseling and was told to complete my family and have myself retested and to remove my cervix. (I have to add that I am a nurse and knew what cervical cancer looked like when it's at its worst.) I separated from my partner and moved to another city. Once there, I had to get my life on track again and make peace with me having cancer. I was working with this good obstetrician and learned to trust and respect him. I decided to have another pap smear two years after the initial one and was diagnosed with no precancerous cells at all. It was as if I was living a dream. I asked this doctor if the cancer might have gone into remission, and he said no, it was never there to begin with.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

My daughter was diagnosed with small cell carcinoma of the cervix. Her symptoms were pain during sex and a slight discharge. After two weeks, she went to the doctor. A pap was done, and they found a tumor the size of a softball. She was hospitalized right away and chemo was started. She came through great, and then they did radiation. That has been two years ago. A positive attitude and a supportive family is very important. I also would like to add that she received no help from the American Cancer Society or any other organization. I made 22 calls, and if she would have had breast cancer she could have received all kinds of help!

Cervical Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with cervical cancer?
Cervical Cancer - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your cervical cancer?
Cervical Cancer - Share Your Experience Question: Did you have cervical cancer or a precancerous cervical condition? Please share your experience.
Cervical Cancer - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests or exams that led to a diagnosis of cervical cancer.
Cervical Cancer - Share Surgery Experience Question: Did you have a surgical procedure to treat cervical cancer or a precancerous condition? Please share your experience.