Patient Comments: Cervical Cancer - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with cervical cancer?

Comment from: T. Rene, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I am 53, 1.5 years post-menopausal. I have never had any spotting since my last period whatsoever. I've had fairly extreme fatigue for the past year, lower back and hip pain. I have very little appetite, and fill up very easily. I have been to the doctors and they always tell me all is ok. Two days ago, I started some (mild) vaginal bleeding and rectal bleeding. I am very sure it is both. I do have appointments with both my primary and my obstetrician/gynecologist. Obviously, I am worried about cancer.

Comment from: ASN16, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I am 69, and I was just diagnosed with cervical cancer. I was spotting and having pain around left hip area shooting down into my leg. I'm not sure how advanced it is at this time, but I do know that surgery will be involved. I have been referred to a specialist. The irony of this is that I asked my doctor 18 months ago for a Pap smear because I was suspicious. Her reply was that women over 65 do not need a pap smear. My sister passed away at 52 from ovarian cancer. I should have known better, and I should have insisted on one. Ladies keep getting those Pap smears no matter what age you are.

Comment from: Josie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had no period for about a year, thought it was menopause. Then spotting and bleeding after sex made me go for an overdue pap smear. After the diagnosis of cervical cancer, I realized the other symptoms (tired constantly, heart palpitations, a feeling of fullness, and a constant ache around my lower back and pelvis) were all a part of the cancer. I have had my biopsy and MRI, awaiting the results to see how far it has progressed, and where we go from here.

Comment from: julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

My cycle stopped for a year or more I thought it was just menopause. Then it started back up. Afterwards, I leaked a foul smelling brown discharge which I thought was just old blood. It just keeps getting worse and I go through a bag of pads every three days. I finally went in for a pap smear and the results showed high levels of abnormal cells. I also bled alot during the pap smear. I was sent to a doctor for a colposcopy which revealed a large yellow tumor. The biopsy came out cancer. I now have lower back pain, knee pain, lethargy, and have lost over 20 pounds in a very short period of time. Still waiting on a catscan...

Comment from: Kaylee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I just had an ultrasound today to check for cervical cancer and I am really scared. I have had back and hip pain since I was a teenager but it is so much worse now. Granted I have also gained weight since I was pregnant, but I suddenly lost 10 pounds in a month when I went to see another doctor. My little angel of a son is 15 months old now and we are looking for a house and I dream of the future and this is why I am so scared. I have intense pain that jets through my thighs and on average I will bleed vaginally for 3 to 5 days then stop for 2 or 3 and start again and this has been the process for a couple months now. Sex really hurts too. I also bloat and just have abdominal pain in general.

Comment from: RLZ123, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I go in for a colposcopy/biopsy on Monday. I tested positive for HPV (human papillomavirus) in 2014. This year I went in for my Pap smear test and was called over a week later stating that I have had low grade changes and my HPV has worsened. I tested positive for all high risk HPV strains including 16 and 18. I am nervous about my biopsy as I had a breast tumor removed in 2014.

Cervical Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Did you have any of the risk factors for cervical cancer at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?
Cervical Cancer - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your cervical cancer?
Cervical Cancer - Share Your Experience Question: Did you have cervical cancer or a precancerous cervical condition? Please share your experience.
Cervical Cancer - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests or exams that led to a diagnosis of cervical cancer.
Cervical Cancer - Share Surgery Experience Question: Did you have a surgical procedure to treat cervical cancer or a precancerous condition? Please share your experience.