Patient Comments: Cervical Cancer - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with cervical cancer?

Comment from: Josie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had no period for about a year, thought it was menopause. Then spotting and bleeding after sex made me go for an overdue pap smear. After the diagnosis of cervical cancer, I realized the other symptoms (tired constantly, heart palpitations, a feeling of fullness, and a constant ache around my lower back and pelvis) were all a part of the cancer. I have had my biopsy and MRI, awaiting the results to see how far it has progressed, and where we go from here.

Comment from: julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

My cycle stopped for a year or more I thought it was just menopause. Then it started back up. Afterwards, I leaked a foul smelling brown discharge which I thought was just old blood. It just keeps getting worse and I go through a bag of pads every three days. I finally went in for a pap smear and the results showed high levels of abnormal cells. I also bled alot during the pap smear. I was sent to a doctor for a colposcopy which revealed a large yellow tumor. The biopsy came out cancer. I now have lower back pain, knee pain, lethargy, and have lost over 20 pounds in a very short period of time. Still waiting on a catscan...

Comment from: sunlover, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 13

My daughter had her first smear test when she was 25 (age for the UK is 25) she had no symptoms. She had LEEP (loop electrosurgical excision procedure) but has now been diagnosed with cervical cancer. So sad.

Comment from: mommaof2, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I am 21 years old with 2 beautiful children I had went in to my GYN to get my annual pap smear and he happened to mention that after I had my 2nd child almost 3 years ago they found a high strand of HPV. Well I did not know this cause they did not call me so I am freaking out. Well I did my pap and it came back that I had cin 2 so I just had my colposcopy and biopsy done a couple days ago and I am scared that it may be worse than that the doctor said it looked pretty severe so he went inside my cervical canal and scraped cells of as well for testing. I am scared that I might I have full blown cancer. I have a lot of back pain. I have heavy bleeding during my period, and I have pain during sex so I don't know I am just scared! If anybody knows more about this please let me know!

Comment from: Tracy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

My main symptom was bleeding, that began and never stopped. It started as a little and finally increased so heavy, I required a blood transfusion. At my gynecologist they did a pap smear and it was normal. She suggested a D & C and a hysteroscopy and that was done and they took biopsies. The results came back as adenocarcinoma of the cervix and vagina. The only other symptom was some pressure in the lower pelvis and a very low back ache.

Comment from: Corpusmarielrubi1, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had a biopsy done and I had cervical cancer cells. I am having a surgery done this Friday. It's called a cold knife cone. My back hurts and all my bones hurt a lot. And I have spot bleeding every day. I am scared to get to the point where I will need chemotherapy.

Cervical Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Did you have any of the risk factors for cervical cancer at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?
Cervical Cancer - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your cervical cancer?
Cervical Cancer - Share Your Experience Question: Did you have cervical cancer or a precancerous cervical condition? Please share your experience.
Cervical Cancer - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests or exams that led to a diagnosis of cervical cancer.
Cervical Cancer - Share Surgery Experience Question: Did you have a surgical procedure to treat cervical cancer or a precancerous condition? Please share your experience.