Patient Comments: Cerebral Palsy - Symptoms

What are the main symptoms associated with cerebral palsy in you or a relative?

Comment from: Sharon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

At 51, I am walking with crutches. I used AFOs (ankle foot orthosis) at various times. I've had four joint replacements as an adult and several surgeries as a child. Cerebral palsy affects my motor control and speech somewhat. Otherwise, I drive a car, got married, received my graduate degree, worked as a counselor, and had a son who is now 20. After my divorce, I raised my son by myself for 12 years. Currently, I live alone and receive help from aides four hours daily.

Comment from: a mother, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

The main symptoms associated with cerebral palsy are that she doesn't speak, she punches herself in the face and she pulls her hair out. The doctors have said she has got too much white matter in the brain. She has a lot of phlegm on her chest.

Comment from: faithb, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 18

I have a 10 year old granddaughter with cerebral palsy. She has good motor skills except for her legs. She is overweight. She talks well and she understands what you say or mean. She is confined to a wheelchair. When she sits on the floor she sits on the back of her legs.

Comment from: Tony, (Caregiver) Published: August 12

Our two sons have cerebral palsy (CP). The older turns 4 years in October, he is able to walk with assistance, but not yet able to speak. His brother is 1 year 6 months and now struggling to crawl.

Comment from: rjp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I have CP (cerebral palsy). My disability is described best by saying that I am spastic and rigid and my balance is affected as well. Lucky for me I can drive without supports. I have recently started using a cane that helps steady me for balance. Without the cane I fall a lot.

Comment from: Dana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I am 46 years old, now I walk with slight limp and my speech is a bit raspy and quivery. I can jog short distances (2-3 miles). But there are things I can't do, and I just accept that, and be grateful for what I can do.

Comment from: nene moreland, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I have a little cerebral Palsy but I dont have any problems. I can walk but I limp on my right leg. I am doing very well for a person with CP.

Comment from: Cindy, 0-2 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

My child's symptoms include stiffness, tiptoeing, conductive hearing loss in the left ear, hypothyroidism, pronated feet, and low muscle tone.

Cerebral Palsy - Share Your Experience Question: Do you, a relative, or friend have cerebral palsy? Please describe your experience.
Cerebral Palsy - Treatment and Therapy Question: What kinds of treatment and therapy has your child received for cerebral palsy?
Cerebral Palsy - Other Conditions Question: What other conditions do you or a relative have in addition to cerebral palsy? Please share your story.