Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: kert, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

My forehead and my right eye were swollen, and both my right and left cheeks were red. I had a fever of 101.8 with the cellulitis. I also have Bell's palsy. I was in the hospital 3 days and my stools were black. I am on clindamycin HCL 150.

Comment from: cabo79, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

I was playing with a dog, young, got lots of dog slobber on my hands and the skin was broke in a couple of places. On the second night I woke up with my hands itching. By morning it had spread almost to my elbows. My hands had blisters on them, and I thought it was an allergic reaction to new sheets I had on the bed. It got worse through the day even though I was taking Benadryl. I could not find a doctor that day. I had some Augmentin around and as I could not see a doctor until the following Tuesday, I started taking the Augmentin (600 mg every 8 hours). It did the trick. The doctor would not write me a prescription for more Augmentin, he too thought it was an allergic reaction, so I started taking more Benadryl and using a cortisone cream. The infection came back fast and I woke up with bad looking and itchy hands and red and brown spots up my arm, and also splotches on my stomach. I went back on Augmentin, it came back under control. I ran out of Augmentin and started using Levaquin (750 once a day and taking Benadryl also). I will see the doctor again tomorrow. I hope I can get a prescription for Augmentin. The Levaquin does not seem to being as good a job, but is ok. I also got a different type of cellulitis on my left leg starting at the ankle (ant bites got infected I guess), real bad chills and sweats. Someone said I looked like I had ringworm on my leg. I had a friend over who was a doctor, and she told me what it was and I needed to see a doctor. I think this is what he gave me, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole. It took care of it.

Comment from: pbaczuk, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 17

With cellulitis I had pain in the foot followed by swelling, and the foot was red and purple. I could not even touch it let alone put weight on it. I had chills and fever.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

My symptom of cellulitis was redness all the way down my leg.

Comment from: BrandiShae, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 04

My husband was diagnosed with cellulitis last night. He is very fair skinned and prone to infection. No wound at all on site of cellulitis except there is a scar there from a different episode of infection from 20 years ago. It began as a slight pain on Monday. By Thursday (yesterday) it became almost unbearable to walk. We went to Urgent Care/Emergency Room (ER) Clinic and the doctor said it was a bruise and to go home. My husband disagreed and told her he felt like it was not just a bruise. We ended up being sent to the main hospital ER for an MRI and sure enough they saw cellulitis. They gave a dose of IV antibiotic vancomycin and sent him home with doxycycline. If he hadn't been adamant about knowing he had an infection (with his history of infections that they were aware of), this could have escalated pretty bad. Take charge of your care and follow your gut feelings.

Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.