Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: pbaczuk, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 17

With cellulitis I had pain in the foot followed by swelling, and the foot was red and purple. I could not even touch it let alone put weight on it. I had chills and fever.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

My symptom of cellulitis was redness all the way down my leg.

Comment from: BrandiShae, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 04

My husband was diagnosed with cellulitis last night. He is very fair skinned and prone to infection. No wound at all on site of cellulitis except there is a scar there from a different episode of infection from 20 years ago. It began as a slight pain on Monday. By Thursday (yesterday) it became almost unbearable to walk. We went to Urgent Care/Emergency Room (ER) Clinic and the doctor said it was a bruise and to go home. My husband disagreed and told her he felt like it was not just a bruise. We ended up being sent to the main hospital ER for an MRI and sure enough they saw cellulitis. They gave a dose of IV antibiotic vancomycin and sent him home with doxycycline. If he hadn't been adamant about knowing he had an infection (with his history of infections that they were aware of), this could have escalated pretty bad. Take charge of your care and follow your gut feelings.

Comment from: FeHope, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

My initial cellulitis symptoms were unusually bad pain and redness outside a wound. I fell on a run on a Sunday and got a few abrasions, one on the inside of my forearm. I washed my wounds with soap and water at the time, put on some antibiotic cream, and bandaged them. I didn't think much of it. The abrasion on the inside of my forearm was the worst of them- about 1/2 the size of a dollar bill. By Wed, the other wounds were healing and this one did not seem to be healing well. Then, on Friday, my arm began getting severely painful (clothes touching my arm hurt). The nearby tissue that was not injured turned red (wrapping around my forearm, maybe 20 square inches), and I saw it progressing down my arm during the workday. I was not feeling well, really tired. As soon as I got out of work (I own a business, there are no sick days), I went to urgent care as my doctor did not have an appointment for weeks. They diagnosed it as cellulitis. I've been on antibiotics (Bactrim) for 3 days now. Yesterday was rough as I felt really bad and had a slight fever, but today I feel better. Redness is subsiding a bit, although still extends about 2 inches past the wound and my arm is still really painful. Moving my fingers/thumb on that arm hurts. Doctors want to recheck me tomorrow. Hopefully the pain will be getting better soon. I thought I cleaned the abrasion pretty well, but, in the future, I am going to really scrub them, even if it hurts.

Comment from: vjc1020, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 24

My 17 year old daughter started with a small lesion that looked like the picture provided for cellulitis. I rinsed it with peroxide and put Neosporin on it with a Band-Aid. A few days later it looked like it is drying out and more brownish instead of reddish. Then all of a sudden there are 4 small additional lesions near the original one (on the back of her arm). We went to the doctor who prescribed doxycycline 100 mg which she has taken 3 tablets so far. Now there is a new one that has formed on the back of her leg. We live in rural area and I don't know how knowledgeable area doctors are. It takes 6 months to get to any nearby dermatologist.

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: May 17

Initially I thought my cellulitis was a hernia.

Comment from: Pradeep K A., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I had pain in my knee and heavy swelling on my leg from knee to foot and heavy pain. For 40 days I had taken antibiotics injections and bed rest in hospital for 7 days for my cellulitis.

Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.