Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: runningbunny, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I got bit on the wrist by a cat one morning, and cleansed the wound thoroughly; or so I thought. I woke up with a raging fever, felt confused and disorientated to the point where I was convinced I was dying. Red rash had spread from the wound site up my arm almost to the elbow, arm had swollen, almost doubling in size. A quick trip to Accident & Emergency resulted in oral antibiotics, with IV route considered if there was no improvement. The rash site was drawn round in biro and I was sent home with the instruction to return straight away if the rash spread beyond those boundaries. Oral antibiotics worked a treat, thankfully.

Comment from: carra13, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I was out browsing yesterday afternoon when out of the blue I felt as if I was bitten by something. In a matter of minutes my ankle and right leg became beet red, swollen, hot and very tender areas that hurt to touch, also I could barely put pressure on foot to walk. This is the third time I develop this kind of cellulitis infection. I drove myself to the emergency room and all the while I developed chills, shaking uncontrollably. I had to put the heater in my car to keep warm, luckily I didn"t blackout. I was put on IVs of clindamycin two capsules every 6 hours and two tablets of Bactrim DS 800 MSG that I"m taking orally at home.

Comment from: Rocklike, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I drove 15 hours and had shoes on that were tight, and ankle socks. I took off shoes and socks to sleep and noticed ankles were thick and feet swollen. Next morning feet were red and hot. Right calf was tight and hurt. I went to the emergency room that night and had ultrasound for blood clots which was negative. The doctor diagnosed me with cellulitis. I am taking Keflex and Bactrim. I think I was bitten by a spider. I contracted MRSA 4 years ago in the hospital. Now I believe they are related. I have heard nothing but horror stories and I"m one of them. It is incredibly painful and scary. I"m stuck here until the 27th, another week. I hope I don"t die in the meantime.

Comment from: gonedrake, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had been feeling really tired over the period of a day or two. I slept in late and woke up late afternoon, and had a slight pain in my right breast/armpit area. Within an hour or two the pain got a lot worse, I had really bad chills and shaking, all my joints/muscles hurt, and I had a fever of almost 103. That night, the pain spread to my chest and shoulder, making it really painful to take a deep breath. My breast was swollen, hot, and streaked with pink. I went to the hospital the next morning and was put on an antibiotic IV for four days and am now on an oral antibiotic treatment. I had nipple piercings so the doctors say that the right piercing was the source of the cellulitis.

Comment from: mumof2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I first felt tired and lethargic, went home to sleep, and couldn't sleep. Within 3 hours I developed a lump in my groin lymph node. I went to the emergency room, they ran blood tests and I had fever and chills and was put on IV antibiotic for 4 days. I developed red rash on lower leg next morning, burning hot but no wound, I'm not sure how I got it. I was sent home with ten days of oral antibiotic, not improved so I had 6 days of IV antibiotic, then 5 days oral again, now on another 5 days of oral; the redness has reduced but not gone. It helped to draw a line around rash to monitor movement. I am still feel wiped out, leg still swollen and I have to rest often and elevate. I got on to this cellulitis very quickly - it is a serious condition - don't wait, get it treated quickly. I have been advised I may need several weeks more of antibiotics.

Comment from: joyful, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I hit my left leg on a rusty metal bar sticking out in a field, 10 days ago. It was painful but I didn't pay much attention to it then. Four days later my leg was swollen. I don"t like to slow down, which didn"t help, but I went to the doctor who gave me antibiotics; leg is still swollen with blood and pus from cellulitis. I"m resting now, with leg up and being patient. After all, I am my own doctor.

Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.