Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: Scott, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I pulled a muscle in my leg on Sunday. Tuesday morning it started to hurt and bother me. Wednesday night it was hot to the touch, a little swollen, and sore to the touch but still didn't seem a big problem. It seemed to feel better at times and worse at other times. By Saturday morning I had a lot of pain while walking on it. The entire calf was swollen with a big area red and hot to the touch. I went to urgent care, and was sent to the emergency room and then to hospital to treat the cellulitis.

Comment from: kert, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

My forehead and my right eye were swollen, and both my right and left cheeks were red. I had a fever of 101.8 with the cellulitis. I also have Bell's palsy. I was in the hospital 3 days and my stools were black. I am on clindamycin HCL 150.

Comment from: cabo79, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

I was playing with a dog, young, got lots of dog slobber on my hands and the skin was broke in a couple of places. On the second night I woke up with my hands itching. By morning it had spread almost to my elbows. My hands had blisters on them, and I thought it was an allergic reaction to new sheets I had on the bed. It got worse through the day even though I was taking Benadryl. I could not find a doctor that day. I had some Augmentin around and as I could not see a doctor until the following Tuesday, I started taking the Augmentin (600 mg every 8 hours). It did the trick. The doctor would not write me a prescription for more Augmentin, he too thought it was an allergic reaction, so I started taking more Benadryl and using a cortisone cream. The infection came back fast and I woke up with bad looking and itchy hands and red and brown spots up my arm, and also splotches on my stomach. I went back on Augmentin, it came back under control. I ran out of Augmentin and started using Levaquin (750 once a day and taking Benadryl also). I will see the doctor again tomorrow. I hope I can get a prescription for Augmentin. The Levaquin does not seem to being as good a job, but is ok. I also got a different type of cellulitis on my left leg starting at the ankle (ant bites got infected I guess), real bad chills and sweats. Someone said I looked like I had ringworm on my leg. I had a friend over who was a doctor, and she told me what it was and I needed to see a doctor. I think this is what he gave me, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole. It took care of it.

Comment from: pbaczuk, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 17

With cellulitis I had pain in the foot followed by swelling, and the foot was red and purple. I could not even touch it let alone put weight on it. I had chills and fever.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

My symptom of cellulitis was redness all the way down my leg.

Comment from: sunshine, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 02

This is my son who has the problem of cellulitis. We have been to numerous doctors, they can't tell us what this is, but the pictures I have just seen look just like what my son has. It keeps spreading and the redness and swelling have climbed up from his feet in the last year up to his crotch.

Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.