Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: carra13, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I was out browsing yesterday afternoon when out of the blue I felt as if I was bitten by something. In a matter of minutes my ankle and right leg became beet red, swollen, hot and very tender areas that hurt to touch, also I could barely put pressure on foot to walk. This is the third time I develop this kind of cellulitis infection. I drove myself to the emergency room and all the while I developed chills, shaking uncontrollably. I had to put the heater in my car to keep warm, luckily I didn"t blackout. I was put on IVs of clindamycin two capsules every 6 hours and two tablets of Bactrim DS 800 MSG that I"m taking orally at home.

Comment from: Rocklike, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I drove 15 hours and had shoes on that were tight, and ankle socks. I took off shoes and socks to sleep and noticed ankles were thick and feet swollen. Next morning feet were red and hot. Right calf was tight and hurt. I went to the emergency room that night and had ultrasound for blood clots which was negative. The doctor diagnosed me with cellulitis. I am taking Keflex and Bactrim. I think I was bitten by a spider. I contracted MRSA 4 years ago in the hospital. Now I believe they are related. I have heard nothing but horror stories and I"m one of them. It is incredibly painful and scary. I"m stuck here until the 27th, another week. I hope I don"t die in the meantime.

Comment from: gonedrake, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had been feeling really tired over the period of a day or two. I slept in late and woke up late afternoon, and had a slight pain in my right breast/armpit area. Within an hour or two the pain got a lot worse, I had really bad chills and shaking, all my joints/muscles hurt, and I had a fever of almost 103. That night, the pain spread to my chest and shoulder, making it really painful to take a deep breath. My breast was swollen, hot, and streaked with pink. I went to the hospital the next morning and was put on an antibiotic IV for four days and am now on an oral antibiotic treatment. I had nipple piercings so the doctors say that the right piercing was the source of the cellulitis.

Comment from: mumof2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I first felt tired and lethargic, went home to sleep, and couldn't sleep. Within 3 hours I developed a lump in my groin lymph node. I went to the emergency room, they ran blood tests and I had fever and chills and was put on IV antibiotic for 4 days. I developed red rash on lower leg next morning, burning hot but no wound, I'm not sure how I got it. I was sent home with ten days of oral antibiotic, not improved so I had 6 days of IV antibiotic, then 5 days oral again, now on another 5 days of oral; the redness has reduced but not gone. It helped to draw a line around rash to monitor movement. I am still feel wiped out, leg still swollen and I have to rest often and elevate. I got on to this cellulitis very quickly - it is a serious condition - don't wait, get it treated quickly. I have been advised I may need several weeks more of antibiotics.

Comment from: Melinda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I had been in a car accident two years earlier and my right leg was broken so badly that we talked about amputation. I was stubborn and wanted to keep my leg. What a mistake that was... I had an ulcer that developed and everyday it got worse. I kept it clean and dressed only to go to the doctor every week to have him look at it and tell me that I needed a skin graft. Too many surgeries in a short time had left my ankle swollen and useless. I developed a fever of 102 that rose to 104 quickly one morning and could not stop vomiting. Nothing stayed down and all I wanted to do was sleep. I went to the emergency room directly the next morning after my leg turned purple. They diagnosed with cellulitis and showed me where the fluid was green and yellow and came out when they pinched the skin together. I stayed in the hospital for two months on IV antibiotics and came home with a home health care nurse on IV antibiotics. I lost my leg in the end anyway and it was for the best.

Comment from: joyful, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I hit my left leg on a rusty metal bar sticking out in a field, 10 days ago. It was painful but I didn't pay much attention to it then. Four days later my leg was swollen. I don"t like to slow down, which didn"t help, but I went to the doctor who gave me antibiotics; leg is still swollen with blood and pus from cellulitis. I"m resting now, with leg up and being patient. After all, I am my own doctor.

Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.