Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: thissucks, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I decided to get a Brazilian wax and it turned out to be a mistake. I got small, red, hard, painful bumps the next day that filled with pus. I thought they were zits, so I popped one and felt better for about eight hours, but then they filled with pus again and I knew that it was an infection.

Comment from: g, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I've had these recurring bumps between my legs that are painful at times. I went to a pharmacist, who prescribed Pinaclav. The bumps are gone, but I just decided to look up what might have caused the bumps.

Comment from: shann, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I first got it when I was camping with a friend last year. I have it now but I do not want to do anything about it as I do not like touching that area with cream or anything. I'm just going to leave it this time and let it get better on its own.

Published: June 25

My symptoms started on a Friday and by Sunday night I had a temp of 102.2. I had alot of pain and swelling in my buttock region and could not understand it; I thought that because I do CNA work I may have lifted a patient incorrectly. On Monday I went to the doctor who informed me that I had a bacterial skin infection and upon talking with my job they stated that it was cellulitis. I am still not sure how I got it, but I am also diabetic so it has and is taking quite a bit from me physically even to type this. I am taking Keflex and Vicodin and I hope to be feeling better soon.

Published: June 18

I started out with pain on the lower part of my left leg. I limped around but didn't really 'look' at my leg. I went to bed and woke up in a lot of pain. When I got out of bed I noticed immediately that the pain in my leg was almost too much to walk. When I looked it, it was red, swollen and bumpy. I had chills and sweats, my temperature was 103.4. I finally woke up my husband and we headed to the ER. My bloodwork came back with elevated white cells count so I was admitted and started my first round of antibiotics via IV. The swelling, redness and pain continued for another day - the cellulitus even spread to the back of my leg. After several IV antibiotic treatments my white cell counts went down and the redness diminished enough to discharge. Four weeks later, I'm on my 5th round of antibiotics and I still have a spot the size of a baseball on the back/side of my left leg. It's painful and red - and just doesn't seem to want to go away.

Published: June 18

I developed cellulitis 3 weeks post op for a spinal cord stimulator implant. Infection is at the generator incision site at my buttock area. I am still battling the infection and fever. Removal of SCS system implanted in jeopardy for fear of infection spreading, causing spinal meningitis. The infection came on suddenly, the day after I charged the generator for the first time.

Published: June 18

Initially I had a fever of 101 for one day, felt very weak. My physician thought it to be viral and recommended fluid and rest. The next day the fever had subsided. I had to travel and during the travel my lower leg swelled. I had had vein surgery on that leg and initially I thought it was from being on a plane and a bus for 12 hours, but when I examined my leg later is was red, swollen and warm from the knee down. I tried cortisone cream, which did no good. The next day I called my physician; from my description they thought it might be a blood clot. I went to an ER where the diagnosis was cellulitis. I was given IV antibiotics and then a prescription for Keflex, which I am still taking. The symptoms have subsided, but I will take the full course of antibiotics (10 days).

Published: June 18

My child was given a clinical diagnosis (observational) of Lyme with a secondary infection of bacterial cellulitis. Although we never saw an attached tick, we live in a heavily deer-tick/Lyme disease infested area and my child plays in the woods most days for long periods of time. The doctor decided that the bulls-eye on the skin was indicative of Lyme. But because the area was also terribly swollen, hot, red, with elevated fever, fatigue, and getting progressively worse, that this was caused by an additional secondary bacterial infection probably from the irritation of and break in the skin from the bite. The doctor explained that these two conditions do not tend to have overlapping symptoms, so that because both sets of symptoms were present meant that they were most likely caused by two different problems. My child has now started on 100mg doxycycline 2x/day for 21 days, which should punch-down both nasty microorganisms.

Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.