Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Published: June 25

My symptoms started on a Friday and by Sunday night I had a temp of 102.2. I had alot of pain and swelling in my buttock region and could not understand it; I thought that because I do CNA work I may have lifted a patient incorrectly. On Monday I went to the doctor who informed me that I had a bacterial skin infection and upon talking with my job they stated that it was cellulitis. I am still not sure how I got it, but I am also diabetic so it has and is taking quite a bit from me physically even to type this. I am taking Keflex and Vicodin and I hope to be feeling better soon.

Published: June 18

I started out with pain on the lower part of my left leg. I limped around but didn't really 'look' at my leg. I went to bed and woke up in a lot of pain. When I got out of bed I noticed immediately that the pain in my leg was almost too much to walk. When I looked it, it was red, swollen and bumpy. I had chills and sweats, my temperature was 103.4. I finally woke up my husband and we headed to the ER. My bloodwork came back with elevated white cells count so I was admitted and started my first round of antibiotics via IV. The swelling, redness and pain continued for another day - the cellulitus even spread to the back of my leg. After several IV antibiotic treatments my white cell counts went down and the redness diminished enough to discharge. Four weeks later, I'm on my 5th round of antibiotics and I still have a spot the size of a baseball on the back/side of my left leg. It's painful and red - and just doesn't seem to want to go away.

Published: June 18

I developed cellulitis 3 weeks post op for a spinal cord stimulator implant. Infection is at the generator incision site at my buttock area. I am still battling the infection and fever. Removal of SCS system implanted in jeopardy for fear of infection spreading, causing spinal meningitis. The infection came on suddenly, the day after I charged the generator for the first time.

Published: June 18

Initially I had a fever of 101 for one day, felt very weak. My physician thought it to be viral and recommended fluid and rest. The next day the fever had subsided. I had to travel and during the travel my lower leg swelled. I had had vein surgery on that leg and initially I thought it was from being on a plane and a bus for 12 hours, but when I examined my leg later is was red, swollen and warm from the knee down. I tried cortisone cream, which did no good. The next day I called my physician; from my description they thought it might be a blood clot. I went to an ER where the diagnosis was cellulitis. I was given IV antibiotics and then a prescription for Keflex, which I am still taking. The symptoms have subsided, but I will take the full course of antibiotics (10 days).

Published: June 18

My child was given a clinical diagnosis (observational) of Lyme with a secondary infection of bacterial cellulitis. Although we never saw an attached tick, we live in a heavily deer-tick/Lyme disease infested area and my child plays in the woods most days for long periods of time. The doctor decided that the bulls-eye on the skin was indicative of Lyme. But because the area was also terribly swollen, hot, red, with elevated fever, fatigue, and getting progressively worse, that this was caused by an additional secondary bacterial infection probably from the irritation of and break in the skin from the bite. The doctor explained that these two conditions do not tend to have overlapping symptoms, so that because both sets of symptoms were present meant that they were most likely caused by two different problems. My child has now started on 100mg doxycycline 2x/day for 21 days, which should punch-down both nasty microorganisms.

Published: June 17

I am a Crohns patient, had surgery 2 month ago but my Dr. told me to stay on Remicade infusion. I noticed after 5 or 6 treatments with Remicade, about 2-3 weeks later after the treatment I started to get skin infections like abscesses. I went to the ER just today and they had to cut this abscess, it grew rapidly in 3 days that I couldn't walk. My Doctor said it is called cellulitis, and I think it is related to Remicade.

Published: June 17

It happened 3 days after my 15th birthday. First, I got sore eyes, my eyes are really scary because the white part in my eyes turned into solid dark red color. Then afterwards I can't walk normally, I wasn't able to walk because my left ankle really aches. It became swollen and red. I got fever all the time and I feel that my feet are warm. After 2 days I decided to go to a doctor. Then after 4 hours they have determined my illness, it's a cellulitis, and they believe that it is because of a bite of something that I really didn't feel, I have noticed it a week ago before I suffer cellulitis. Actually, cellulitis is not familiar at me. Until now I can't walk normally, but I'm trying my best to go to school. Now I know the real meaning thanks for the information and I hope you understand my experience.

Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.