Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Published: June 13

My sister is now 28yrs. old and she has had Cellulitis 5 times and 2 of them were so bad that is was in the hospital for 8 days. It started when she was 9 yrs and she fell into and old and dirty swamp. With in a year she started to have allergies. They are so bad now that she can't see (do to red and watery eyes).

Published: June 12

Red and swollen area around a cut I had from falling. It was also very warm to the touch.

Published: June 10

I broke my ankle 4 yrs ago and had to have a metal rod placed in my leg to hold the bone together. Ever since my leg healed I have had ALOT of swelling and a red ring around my ankle and now the other ankle area too. It gets hot and looks like a burn. I just changed Dr. and he said he thinks it is cellulitis, and that was the end of that. No meds or anything. I didn't even know it was some kind of infection until I got on your web site to research it. He said it would help if I lost weight.

Published: June 09

Mine started as what I believed to be a spider bite (didn't see/feel it happen, but it itched and was bigger than a mosquito bite) on the back of my leg right above my knee. It was oval in shape. It didn't seem like a big deal for the first few days but then all of a sudden it swelled up, became larger, very painful, burning, bright red, and made me queasy if touched or brushed against. I also noticed a red trail leading to another swollen area just below my crotch (a lymph node). Finally, I went to the doctor (my worst symptoms happened Friday-Sunday so I waited till Monday instead of going to ER) even after it showed signs of improvement. He has me on amoxicillin and heat therapy. I go back in a week for follow up provided it doesn't get any worse in the meantime.

Published: June 09

Mine always starts with flu like symptoms, body aches, vomiting but nothing coming up, pain in my upper thigh (Lymph Nodes) then after a few days a red rash, redder than the twenty year old post surgical site, and appears. Poor circulation around the site leads to a nice wet warm swamp for the bacteria to grow. Sometimes it feels like my foot has been severely sunburned, sometimes like the meat is ripping off my calf when I attempt to stand, Done the hospital for 11 days on IV then another 5 at home, Done antibiotics at home. I've been prayed for and it disappeared within 24 hours. It always makes me extremely sick, fevered, and chilled with unproductive vomiting and extreme pain. I've probably had it 5-7 times and I hate it.

Published: June 09

It began on Mother's day after working 6 hours. I got home and had chills. I then began to sweat. After a few hours I went to bed. The next day I could hardly get out of bed. I was so sick and still had chills and sweats. I took my temp. It was 104. I took my daughter to school and then called work to say I had a temp and was in no shape to work. After a few days I went to see the doc. My right leg and foot had swollen, reddened, and the skin was peeling. They gave me an Antibiotic shot right away in my behind and gave me pills for the rest of the week. The inflammation is gone but now after almost 4 years my foot and leg still swell. Almost 1/4 more in size to my left side. It is not warm to the touch but cold like cold water running through my veins. Usually from my right hip down the side and back to my foot. I can't wear nice shoes because the swelling NEVER goes away. Same with certain pants. I have to make sure the leg is wide enough. In the shower I run HOT water on my leg just to warm it up. My skin is bluish in color at first but turns to red after running the water for awhile. I would like some advice to help reduce the swelling. I have been told to lose weight but this is easier said than done. I have taken water pills. Just makes me pee a lot. Putting my leg up helps, but I cannot sit like this all day.

Published: June 09

I am a 62 year old obese woman. I develop cellulitis usually twice a year. I think that this has a lot to do with my dislike for shoes. I hadn't experienced it since last fall as I wore shoes all the time I was outside. I have a large callus on the ball of my left foot when this begins to loosen I usually develop cellulitis obviously because there is an entrance for the bacteria no mater how small. Luckily there are still antibiotics that clear it up and I have learned I must wear shoes and socks in my home or out.

Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.