Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: virginia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I had surgery and plates removed from the foot leaving a red area. It was very hot and itching near incision after surgery. IV and antibiotics were given and medications for 10 days, 3 days of IV, now a blister type rash has started.

Comment from: realfrazzled, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I now am suffering from my fifth bout of cellulitis. I am at home on oral antibiotics but the first time I contracted cellulitis I was in the hospital on IV antibiotics (3) for a month, came home on oral medication and was hospitalized again for a month on IV antibiotics. Now I know what to look for and call my physician right away. I have had it in my feet, legs, elbow, stomach, chest and back.

Comment from: ms dennis, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

My symptoms were severe pain in leg, lots of swelling and feeling very weak in the knee area.

Comment from: mnesoda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My cellulitis started with severe headache and fever. My arm then became red, and then blisters appeared and started oozing. MRSA was diagnosed with swellings in lymph nodes making the pain unbearable. A large area of over two-thirds of lower arm looked infected. It left scarring.

Comment from: rversaggi, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I had an infestation of bees in the attic crawl space, and was bitten in the finger. It swelled and then subsided. A few days later my forearm swelled and it was painful and hot, with enough itching to keep me awake for hours at night. I went to the doctor who diagnosed cellulitis and prescribed antibiotics and prednisone. It is a very slow recovery. Three days after swelling has reduced but itching continues.

Comment from: BayLady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My cellulitis symptoms are a blister on my big toe and redness, swelling, and itching of the foot. I thought I had been bitten by a spider. I had no pain at all. I went to the doctor just to get some relief from the swelling and itching after the first day. I still don't know how I contracted cellulitis.

Comment from: windspiritjan, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I was bitten on the hand by an 80-pound dog. I let it bleed, washed it out and applied hydrogen peroxide. The next day, I went to my doctor's office. He sent me to the hospital. The hand was swollen, bruised, and had two red line extending toward the elbow. X-rays showed no broken bones. Cellulitis was diagnosed and an IV of antibiotics was administered and antibiotics were prescribed.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 03

I had an itching, burning sensation on arm. Scratching makes it worse, but it feels like small bumps below the surface that itch, like I am being bitten. It goes away and then erupts again. It's a sharp, stabbing pain and itching. I want to tear my arm off.

Comment from: Kimmy2005, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 30

We went fishing last weekend and my husband was eaten up by the sand flies. He scratched at the bites and was bleeding. On Sunday afternoon, his legs and feet started to swell. By Monday – after drinking beer all day – he sat and cried because his legs and feet hurt so badly that he could not walk. I called the doctor, thinking it was fluid built up because he missed taking his pill for two days. The doctor says he didn't think it was fluid, and that it was probably from the bites. I brought my husband to the doctor on Tuesday and he was diagnosed with cellulitis. He got a shot and prescriptions for antibiotics. This is the third day, and my husband is still red and swollen. If he's not better by tomorrow, the doctor will hear from me again! My husband was raised on the water and has been bitten before, but this is something new to us.

Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.