Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: SZ, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had a small spot in my abdomen area, which grew big, red and itched a lot with a burning feeling in the tissues. The tissues around the spot were hardened and swollen. It grew bigger from a 3 mm dot to 10 mm opening and reddish area of about 10 square centimeters. Only after I started heavy antibiotics and painkillers it very slowly started to improve. It has been 3 weeks now. My doctor advised to stop antibiotics but just after a day I found it growing again, so I started antibiotics again. I also used aloe vera flesh and replace the bandage almost every day. This helped a lot. Also I used homeopathic medicine silica and I think I was also aiding improvement. It is now 4 square cm.

Comment from: Isabella, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

Recently, I ran with my dogs and felt fit enough to jog farther distances at a time. The next morning, I woke up, and by 7 a.m. my upper legs were in pain, which I thought was normal due to jogging. Two hours later, I had the most terrible fever I had ever experienced. That day, I had chills and thought I'd come down with the flu. I took flu medicine, got into bed, and by Friday morning the fever was better, but my right leg was stiff and swollen. I could not bend at the back of my knee. I thought it had something to do with jogging. A couple of days later, I had a red, swollen rash on the front of my right leg, from below the knee to the ankle. I went to see my doctor, who diagnosed me with cellulitis and started me on Dalacin C antibiotics. The next morning, I had a blister the size of a golf ball on the inside of my ankle, with yellow fluid inside. Toward the front of my ankle, three more small blisters formed with fluid inside. A few days later, the big blister – now the size of a tennis ball – opened, and fluid drained. By this time, my right leg was swollen to about twice the size of my left leg, and even elevating it did not bring down the swelling. It also started to ooze and the liquid that drained was like ice water. The oozing part of my leg also felt cold, while the rest of my leg – from my ankle to above my knee -- was hot. My skin had a purplish-yellowish look. My doctor changed antibiotics and I also applied antibiotic cream on the infected skin. Since the Sunday after I was diagnosed, I have dressed my leg two or three times a day, keep it raised, drink lots of water, and minimize my intake of sugar and starches. I also use lots of moisture on my skin. It has now been five weeks since I got it, and the infected part of my skin is getting smaller and the draining of my lymph fluids is now only minimal. The swelling is better, but still far from gone. I still can't wear normal shoes, and I find it difficult to stand on my leg. Mild exercise seems to reduce the pain slightly. For the last week, I have been able to get out of bed from an elevated position without my leg feeling as if the flesh is being ripped off as the blood circulates back.

Comment from: Ginny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have extreme pain like burning in my leg just above the ankle. It is not broken skin but it is a little warm and not red. I wonder if it could still be cellulitis.

Comment from: thelma, 25-34 (Patient) Published: January 06

My cellulitis started with a boil on the head and later I discovered that my eyes were swollen.

Comment from: bonnie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I went in the hospital for a minor procedure, a scope. Due to the negligence of the lady putting in the IV, I contracted cellulitis. It was extremely painful. I was given a high dose of an antibiotic called clindamycin 300 mg. It does not seem to be working!

Comment from: Paula, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

With cellulitis I had a small itchy spot that was slightly red.

Comment from: maree, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

This is my third time with cellulitis, so very disappointing and I seem to be lot sicker with vomiting and diarrhea.

Comment from: Opalady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

This is the 5th time I have had cellulitis in 6 months. I caught this on holiday in Croatia. I have been on intravenous drips as well as antibiotic pills. Three days ago I had a bad case of gastritis and then the chills started and my leg started to ache and I knew I was going to end up with the cellulitis again. I went straight to the doctor for blood tests and he has put me on 500 mg Keflex. I"m so sick of this. I wish I knew how to stop the attacks.

Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.