Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: Ginny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have extreme pain like burning in my leg just above the ankle. It is not broken skin but it is a little warm and not red. I wonder if it could still be cellulitis.

Comment from: thelma, 25-34 (Patient) Published: January 06

My cellulitis started with a boil on the head and later I discovered that my eyes were swollen.

Comment from: bonnie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I went in the hospital for a minor procedure, a scope. Due to the negligence of the lady putting in the IV, I contracted cellulitis. It was extremely painful. I was given a high dose of an antibiotic called clindamycin 300 mg. It does not seem to be working!

Comment from: Paula, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

With cellulitis I had a small itchy spot that was slightly red.

Comment from: maree, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

This is my third time with cellulitis, so very disappointing and I seem to be lot sicker with vomiting and diarrhea.

Comment from: Opalady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

This is the 5th time I have had cellulitis in 6 months. I caught this on holiday in Croatia. I have been on intravenous drips as well as antibiotic pills. Three days ago I had a bad case of gastritis and then the chills started and my leg started to ache and I knew I was going to end up with the cellulitis again. I went straight to the doctor for blood tests and he has put me on 500 mg Keflex. I"m so sick of this. I wish I knew how to stop the attacks.

Comment from: virginia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I had surgery and plates removed from the foot leaving a red area. It was very hot and itching near incision after surgery. IV and antibiotics were given and medications for 10 days, 3 days of IV, now a blister type rash has started.

Comment from: realfrazzled, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I now am suffering from my fifth bout of cellulitis. I am at home on oral antibiotics but the first time I contracted cellulitis I was in the hospital on IV antibiotics (3) for a month, came home on oral medication and was hospitalized again for a month on IV antibiotics. Now I know what to look for and call my physician right away. I have had it in my feet, legs, elbow, stomach, chest and back.

Comment from: ms dennis, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

My symptoms were severe pain in leg, lots of swelling and feeling very weak in the knee area.

Comment from: mnesoda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My cellulitis started with severe headache and fever. My arm then became red, and then blisters appeared and started oozing. MRSA was diagnosed with swellings in lymph nodes making the pain unbearable. A large area of over two-thirds of lower arm looked infected. It left scarring.

Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.