Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 03

I had an itching, burning sensation on arm. Scratching makes it worse, but it feels like small bumps below the surface that itch, like I am being bitten. It goes away and then erupts again. It's a sharp, stabbing pain and itching. I want to tear my arm off.

Comment from: Kimmy2005, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 30

We went fishing last weekend and my husband was eaten up by the sand flies. He scratched at the bites and was bleeding. On Sunday afternoon, his legs and feet started to swell. By Monday – after drinking beer all day – he sat and cried because his legs and feet hurt so badly that he could not walk. I called the doctor, thinking it was fluid built up because he missed taking his pill for two days. The doctor says he didn't think it was fluid, and that it was probably from the bites. I brought my husband to the doctor on Tuesday and he was diagnosed with cellulitis. He got a shot and prescriptions for antibiotics. This is the third day, and my husband is still red and swollen. If he's not better by tomorrow, the doctor will hear from me again! My husband was raised on the water and has been bitten before, but this is something new to us.

Comment from: Starshadow, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was able to see my cheek because it was so swollen, hard, heavy, and painful to touch.

Comment from: thissucks, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I decided to get a Brazilian wax and it turned out to be a mistake. I got small, red, hard, painful bumps the next day that filled with pus. I thought they were zits, so I popped one and felt better for about eight hours, but then they filled with pus again and I knew that it was an infection.

Comment from: g, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I've had these recurring bumps between my legs that are painful at times. I went to a pharmacist, who prescribed Pinaclav. The bumps are gone, but I just decided to look up what might have caused the bumps.

Comment from: shann, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I first got it when I was camping with a friend last year. I have it now but I do not want to do anything about it as I do not like touching that area with cream or anything. I'm just going to leave it this time and let it get better on its own.

Published: June 25

My symptoms started on a Friday and by Sunday night I had a temp of 102.2. I had alot of pain and swelling in my buttock region and could not understand it; I thought that because I do CNA work I may have lifted a patient incorrectly. On Monday I went to the doctor who informed me that I had a bacterial skin infection and upon talking with my job they stated that it was cellulitis. I am still not sure how I got it, but I am also diabetic so it has and is taking quite a bit from me physically even to type this. I am taking Keflex and Vicodin and I hope to be feeling better soon.

Published: June 18

I started out with pain on the lower part of my left leg. I limped around but didn't really 'look' at my leg. I went to bed and woke up in a lot of pain. When I got out of bed I noticed immediately that the pain in my leg was almost too much to walk. When I looked it, it was red, swollen and bumpy. I had chills and sweats, my temperature was 103.4. I finally woke up my husband and we headed to the ER. My bloodwork came back with elevated white cells count so I was admitted and started my first round of antibiotics via IV. The swelling, redness and pain continued for another day - the cellulitus even spread to the back of my leg. After several IV antibiotic treatments my white cell counts went down and the redness diminished enough to discharge. Four weeks later, I'm on my 5th round of antibiotics and I still have a spot the size of a baseball on the back/side of my left leg. It's painful and red - and just doesn't seem to want to go away.

Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.