Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: mathovich, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I have intense burning headache, fever, and I feel like dog meat! This is the second time this cellulitis has happened. I have no idea how I got it!

Comment from: Insman2, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I felt itching on my right cheek, didn"t pay much attention to it until a couple days later the redness began moving up to my eye. I went to the doctor and she thought it was shingles so she gave me antibiotics to take and said to call if it got worse. It did and I went back and was directly admitted to hospital for 3 days for cellulitis. I had antibiotics thru IV. I had something similar one other time in my ankle but you could follow the red line moving up my leg. I was in the hospital 10 days that time with antibiotics.

Comment from: joyful, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I hit my left leg on a rusty metal bar sticking out in a field, 10 days ago. It was painful but I didn't pay much attention to it then. Four days later my leg was swollen. I don"t like to slow down, which didn"t help, but I went to the doctor who gave me antibiotics; leg is still swollen with blood and pus from cellulitis. I"m resting now, with leg up and being patient. After all, I am my own doctor.

Comment from: Mawmaw J, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

My initial symptoms of cellulitis were fever, vomiting and severe chills. I thought I had the flu. On the third day I awoke to tomato red, severely swollen foot and leg and 104.3 fever.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

Three years ago I got cellulitis in both legs below knee into foot. They started me on 2 IV antibiotics. My legs were red, very swollen and hurt terribly. I stayed 7 days and went home on pills cephalexin. I have had it 3 more times since and it has always been the same.

Comment from: JustHazel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My cellulitis started out as pain in my left foot; it got swollen and warm the day after. Two days later the swelling and warmth went up my leg. I also had rashes all over my body, I am not sure if this was connected to the cellulitis, and fever (38 degrees C) on the 3rd day. Both legs were and still are tender to the touch. I was put on oral antibiotics for a week (1.5 days left!) and anti-inflammatory drug for 3-5 days. I also took anti-histamine for the rashes. Now there are no more rashes, just a few red spots here and there. I still get easily tired though.

Comment from: MomoToto, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

Three months ago a cat jumped on my leg and I developed cellulitis. It spread all along the leg into the foot. I went to the hospital to get intravenous antibiotics for seven days and it responded really well to the antibiotics. I have been putting my foot up constantly and exercising it. When I wake up my foot is normal but during the day it gets swollen and hot on the top part of the foot and it also seems to dislike long walks. Since then the cat has patted me gently on the arm and I got cellulitis on the spot but taking cloxacillin immediately got rid of it and the redness was gone within 12 hours. I'm in Malaysia at the moment and it seems like local bacteria.

Comment from: SZ, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had a small spot in my abdomen area, which grew big, red and itched a lot with a burning feeling in the tissues. The tissues around the spot were hardened and swollen. It grew bigger from a 3 mm dot to 10 mm opening and reddish area of about 10 square centimeters. Only after I started heavy antibiotics and painkillers it very slowly started to improve. It has been 3 weeks now. My doctor advised to stop antibiotics but just after a day I found it growing again, so I started antibiotics again. I also used aloe vera flesh and replace the bandage almost every day. This helped a lot. Also I used homeopathic medicine silica and I think I was also aiding improvement. It is now 4 square cm.

Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.