Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: Twiggy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

My cellulitis developed in the tissue around the eye. It was very inflamed and sore, worse still, it took doctors a long time to realize what it was, describing it as an allergy. Eventually I was given an antibiotic, after my eye closed over from the swelling; it was not a good experience. I seem to get it around every October, once I was hospitalized with an IV.

Comment from: marie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I had had a cyst removed from the right side of my head just above my ear. In a couple of days I felt sick and had a headache. I went to the doctor as it was a Friday and I didn't want to end up in the emergency room on the weekend. The doctor sent me to a 24 hour surgery clinic where I was monitored for about 4 hours and there was no sign of cellulitis yet I felt sick and had a high temperature and a headache. I was sent to the hospital and luckily for me I had the head of infectious diseases on duty. He realized it was cellulitis in my face. They were going to cut my face open to drain the fluid, it was touch and go for 24 hours. I would have died had I not gone to the doctor, as it was I ended up staying in the hospital for a week and one side of my face was three times its normal size. If something in your body doesn't feel right its best to seek medical help.

Comment from: Frustrated, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had tenderness on my right inner thigh for a couple of weeks before the large red mark appeared. Looked like a whitish circle around the red area. The doctor first thought it was a bite. Though the thigh was tender, after a couple of days pain began through my whole body, neck to toe. I went to the emergency room because the pain was so bad. The emergency room doctor said it was cellulitis, not a bite. They changed my antibiotic and pain pill. I went back to the doctor again for follow-up and the pain was even worse. I have a herniated disc between c5 and c6 vertebrae so the doctor sent me back to the surgeon. The surgeon thought it was carpal tunnel and was prepared to do surgery. He ordered EMG and it was determined that it was not carpel tunnel and he didn't know what was causing pain. I slept in recliner for almost 2 weeks and could not even get out of bed at times because the pain was so excruciating, especially in my upper body. I told the surgeon I needed blood work to see if infection had spread to my bloodstream. All tests showed high inflammation. My doctor then sent me to a rheumatologist. There was more blood work, we still can't find why I was in so much pain. The rheumatologist sent me for a bilateral temporal biopsy. That was negative. Still seeing doctors and have been on steroids. The pain is gone now, but no one can really tell me if it was the cellulitis that caused the excruciating pain through my whole body or what. It is still a mystery. This all begin end of July 2013 and it is now mid-October. Really? I still say it was from cellulitis, but who am I, not the doctor of course.

Comment from: guyslittleacre, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

It started out with intense pain in my left breast, and the pain became more intense each day. My whole body ached, and the breast swelled more each day. A small pink spot showed up on the breast, and each day it spread until the entire breast was a pink color. The pain became unbearable, and I went to the hospital emergency room after four days. I was diagnosed with cellulitis. At that time, I was given an IV containing an antibiotic and a prescription for additional antibiotics and medication for pain. It was totally well within a week. I had not had an open wound or any exposure to animals, etc. I still don't know exactly what caused this condition. I shower, twice daily, don't have animals and keep a very clean house!

Comment from: littlebit1971, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

My cellulitis symptoms are swelling of ankles, peeling of the skin and reddish brown color, and it is very painful.

Comment from: mathovich, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I have intense burning headache, fever, and I feel like dog meat! This is the second time this cellulitis has happened. I have no idea how I got it!

Comment from: Insman2, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I felt itching on my right cheek, didn"t pay much attention to it until a couple days later the redness began moving up to my eye. I went to the doctor and she thought it was shingles so she gave me antibiotics to take and said to call if it got worse. It did and I went back and was directly admitted to hospital for 3 days for cellulitis. I had antibiotics thru IV. I had something similar one other time in my ankle but you could follow the red line moving up my leg. I was in the hospital 10 days that time with antibiotics.

Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.