Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: maree, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

This is my third time with cellulitis, so very disappointing and I seem to be lot sicker with vomiting and diarrhea.

Comment from: Opalady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

This is the 5th time I have had cellulitis in 6 months. I caught this on holiday in Croatia. I have been on intravenous drips as well as antibiotic pills. Three days ago I had a bad case of gastritis and then the chills started and my leg started to ache and I knew I was going to end up with the cellulitis again. I went straight to the doctor for blood tests and he has put me on 500 mg Keflex. I"m so sick of this. I wish I knew how to stop the attacks.

Comment from: virginia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I had surgery and plates removed from the foot leaving a red area. It was very hot and itching near incision after surgery. IV and antibiotics were given and medications for 10 days, 3 days of IV, now a blister type rash has started.

Comment from: realfrazzled, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I now am suffering from my fifth bout of cellulitis. I am at home on oral antibiotics but the first time I contracted cellulitis I was in the hospital on IV antibiotics (3) for a month, came home on oral medication and was hospitalized again for a month on IV antibiotics. Now I know what to look for and call my physician right away. I have had it in my feet, legs, elbow, stomach, chest and back.

Comment from: ms dennis, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

My symptoms were severe pain in leg, lots of swelling and feeling very weak in the knee area.

Comment from: mnesoda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My cellulitis started with severe headache and fever. My arm then became red, and then blisters appeared and started oozing. MRSA was diagnosed with swellings in lymph nodes making the pain unbearable. A large area of over two-thirds of lower arm looked infected. It left scarring.

Comment from: rversaggi, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I had an infestation of bees in the attic crawl space, and was bitten in the finger. It swelled and then subsided. A few days later my forearm swelled and it was painful and hot, with enough itching to keep me awake for hours at night. I went to the doctor who diagnosed cellulitis and prescribed antibiotics and prednisone. It is a very slow recovery. Three days after swelling has reduced but itching continues.

Comment from: BayLady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My cellulitis symptoms are a blister on my big toe and redness, swelling, and itching of the foot. I thought I had been bitten by a spider. I had no pain at all. I went to the doctor just to get some relief from the swelling and itching after the first day. I still don't know how I contracted cellulitis.

Comment from: windspiritjan, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I was bitten on the hand by an 80-pound dog. I let it bleed, washed it out and applied hydrogen peroxide. The next day, I went to my doctor's office. He sent me to the hospital. The hand was swollen, bruised, and had two red line extending toward the elbow. X-rays showed no broken bones. Cellulitis was diagnosed and an IV of antibiotics was administered and antibiotics were prescribed.

Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.