Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: Mawmaw J, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

My initial symptoms of cellulitis were fever, vomiting and severe chills. I thought I had the flu. On the third day I awoke to tomato red, severely swollen foot and leg and 104.3 fever.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

Three years ago I got cellulitis in both legs below knee into foot. They started me on 2 IV antibiotics. My legs were red, very swollen and hurt terribly. I stayed 7 days and went home on pills cephalexin. I have had it 3 more times since and it has always been the same.

Comment from: JustHazel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My cellulitis started out as pain in my left foot; it got swollen and warm the day after. Two days later the swelling and warmth went up my leg. I also had rashes all over my body, I am not sure if this was connected to the cellulitis, and fever (38 degrees C) on the 3rd day. Both legs were and still are tender to the touch. I was put on oral antibiotics for a week (1.5 days left!) and anti-inflammatory drug for 3-5 days. I also took anti-histamine for the rashes. Now there are no more rashes, just a few red spots here and there. I still get easily tired though.

Comment from: MomoToto, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

Three months ago a cat jumped on my leg and I developed cellulitis. It spread all along the leg into the foot. I went to the hospital to get intravenous antibiotics for seven days and it responded really well to the antibiotics. I have been putting my foot up constantly and exercising it. When I wake up my foot is normal but during the day it gets swollen and hot on the top part of the foot and it also seems to dislike long walks. Since then the cat has patted me gently on the arm and I got cellulitis on the spot but taking cloxacillin immediately got rid of it and the redness was gone within 12 hours. I'm in Malaysia at the moment and it seems like local bacteria.

Comment from: SZ, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had a small spot in my abdomen area, which grew big, red and itched a lot with a burning feeling in the tissues. The tissues around the spot were hardened and swollen. It grew bigger from a 3 mm dot to 10 mm opening and reddish area of about 10 square centimeters. Only after I started heavy antibiotics and painkillers it very slowly started to improve. It has been 3 weeks now. My doctor advised to stop antibiotics but just after a day I found it growing again, so I started antibiotics again. I also used aloe vera flesh and replace the bandage almost every day. This helped a lot. Also I used homeopathic medicine silica and I think I was also aiding improvement. It is now 4 square cm.

Comment from: Isabella, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

Recently, I ran with my dogs and felt fit enough to jog farther distances at a time. The next morning, I woke up, and by 7 a.m. my upper legs were in pain, which I thought was normal due to jogging. Two hours later, I had the most terrible fever I had ever experienced. That day, I had chills and thought I'd come down with the flu. I took flu medicine, got into bed, and by Friday morning the fever was better, but my right leg was stiff and swollen. I could not bend at the back of my knee. I thought it had something to do with jogging. A couple of days later, I had a red, swollen rash on the front of my right leg, from below the knee to the ankle. I went to see my doctor, who diagnosed me with cellulitis and started me on Dalacin C antibiotics. The next morning, I had a blister the size of a golf ball on the inside of my ankle, with yellow fluid inside. Toward the front of my ankle, three more small blisters formed with fluid inside. A few days later, the big blister – now the size of a tennis ball – opened, and fluid drained. By this time, my right leg was swollen to about twice the size of my left leg, and even elevating it did not bring down the swelling. It also started to ooze and the liquid that drained was like ice water. The oozing part of my leg also felt cold, while the rest of my leg – from my ankle to above my knee -- was hot. My skin had a purplish-yellowish look. My doctor changed antibiotics and I also applied antibiotic cream on the infected skin. Since the Sunday after I was diagnosed, I have dressed my leg two or three times a day, keep it raised, drink lots of water, and minimize my intake of sugar and starches. I also use lots of moisture on my skin. It has now been five weeks since I got it, and the infected part of my skin is getting smaller and the draining of my lymph fluids is now only minimal. The swelling is better, but still far from gone. I still can't wear normal shoes, and I find it difficult to stand on my leg. Mild exercise seems to reduce the pain slightly. For the last week, I have been able to get out of bed from an elevated position without my leg feeling as if the flesh is being ripped off as the blood circulates back.

Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.