Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: linuxguru, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I had a small pimple on my left cheek about an inch from my mouth, which I accidentally grazed with my fingernail and it ruptured. There was a small amount of blood that drained. I delayed cleaning and applying Mycitracin at this location for a couple of hours, and apparently it spread then. The pimple appeared to have healed over the next few days, but there was an underlying piece of hardness below a hair follicle. I extracted that hair with tweezers, and attempted to expel the lump below it by palpating it - big mistake! Within about 30 minutes I had a reddish inflammation about the size of a quarter. I treated this with antibiotic ointments for 3 days with no apparent effect, and a slow increase in size of the lesion. Finally, I went to the clinic and it was diagnosed as cellulitis, and Cefixime 200 (oral) 1-0-1 was prescribed. By the third dose, it was clear that it was not effective and the lesion was still spreading, with a diffuse itching on the outer surface similar to the sensation of sunburn. The antibiotic was switched to Augmentin 625 (oral), which appears to have got the spread under control after just one dose; the inflammation is less severe and is not spreading further. The course may have to be extended beyond 5 days, but it's still a relief. Moral of the story: never palpate a prior infection below an infected hair follicle.

Comment from: dziner05, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I have no idea how I contracted cellulitis. One day I just noticed that my calf was red and swollen, as was my foot. No pain whatsoever, or any other symptoms besides severe itching. I'm on day three of antibiotics, and the redness seems to be subsiding. Although, I now seem to have pain in my upper leg. I am not sure if it's related or not. They did blood work, and there was no infection in my system. So, hopefully this isn't related.

Comment from: Terri, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 05

It was Saturday morning, and I was feeling fine. I was doing some inside light cleaning. At 1 PM, I suddenly got cold and started uncontrolled shivering. I put a sweater on and went to bed with blankets on and could not stop constant shivering for an hour and a half. Later, I took my temperature and it was 101. I stayed in bed because I didn't have any energy. Next morning my right arm had a red rash and hurt, and was swollen. My left knee hurt and was swollen but not red. I went to the doctor the next day and it was diagnosed as cellulitis. I was subscribed with antibiotic cephalexin and ibuprofen.

Comment from: Chazzy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

My cellulitis started on my eyelid and I thought it was just a stye. Within a day's time it was 10 times worse. It looked like a giant pimple on my eye lid. In two days it had spread to my lymph nodes. I went to the emergency room and they gave me a shot in the hip and gave me drops, cream, and antibiotics. Well, I wasn't feeling any better and had to go to walk-in clinic to get stronger antibiotics. Finally I'm on Bactrim and getting a little better after 2 weeks. I've lost 17 pounds which probably isn't good. I just want to be 100% again. Cellulitis tends to hang around. It sucks!

Comment from: etltfd, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

I came into contact with poison Ivy and for three weeks was developing rash on arms body side and groin area. I developed blisters on right foot which was very itchy. I busted the blister to drain and saw doctor for rash. I was given prednisone and was told to call back if condition worsened. I developed fever two days later and went back to doctor who prescribed antibiotics. One day later leg became swollen and lymph nodes tender with pain on the side of leg were reddest. I was admitted to hospital for three days taking antibiotics intravenously. I'm still dealing with symptoms. Ankle swells during day after minor activity.

Comment from: TallGaloot, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

The first time I had cellulitis, I thought I was having a recurrence of the blot clot I had previously had - but in the other leg. Instead, I was in the hospital for a week with IV antibiotics. The leg was red to above the knee. The second time, I went to the doctor when I saw the redness on my ankle. It looks like I will be going in again tomorrow. Each time I initially ran a very high fever. I now believe that once you get this, you will have recurrences unless you are very careful and lucky.

Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.