Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: dziner05, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I have no idea how I contracted cellulitis. One day I just noticed that my calf was red and swollen, as was my foot. No pain whatsoever, or any other symptoms besides severe itching. I'm on day three of antibiotics, and the redness seems to be subsiding. Although, I now seem to have pain in my upper leg. I am not sure if it's related or not. They did blood work, and there was no infection in my system. So, hopefully this isn't related.

Comment from: Terri, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 05

It was Saturday morning, and I was feeling fine. I was doing some inside light cleaning. At 1 PM, I suddenly got cold and started uncontrolled shivering. I put a sweater on and went to bed with blankets on and could not stop constant shivering for an hour and a half. Later, I took my temperature and it was 101. I stayed in bed because I didn't have any energy. Next morning my right arm had a red rash and hurt, and was swollen. My left knee hurt and was swollen but not red. I went to the doctor the next day and it was diagnosed as cellulitis. I was subscribed with antibiotic cephalexin and ibuprofen.

Comment from: Chazzy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

My cellulitis started on my eyelid and I thought it was just a stye. Within a day's time it was 10 times worse. It looked like a giant pimple on my eye lid. In two days it had spread to my lymph nodes. I went to the emergency room and they gave me a shot in the hip and gave me drops, cream, and antibiotics. Well, I wasn't feeling any better and had to go to walk-in clinic to get stronger antibiotics. Finally I'm on Bactrim and getting a little better after 2 weeks. I've lost 17 pounds which probably isn't good. I just want to be 100% again. Cellulitis tends to hang around. It sucks!

Comment from: etltfd, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

I came into contact with poison Ivy and for three weeks was developing rash on arms body side and groin area. I developed blisters on right foot which was very itchy. I busted the blister to drain and saw doctor for rash. I was given prednisone and was told to call back if condition worsened. I developed fever two days later and went back to doctor who prescribed antibiotics. One day later leg became swollen and lymph nodes tender with pain on the side of leg were reddest. I was admitted to hospital for three days taking antibiotics intravenously. I'm still dealing with symptoms. Ankle swells during day after minor activity.

Comment from: TallGaloot, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

The first time I had cellulitis, I thought I was having a recurrence of the blot clot I had previously had - but in the other leg. Instead, I was in the hospital for a week with IV antibiotics. The leg was red to above the knee. The second time, I went to the doctor when I saw the redness on my ankle. It looks like I will be going in again tomorrow. Each time I initially ran a very high fever. I now believe that once you get this, you will have recurrences unless you are very careful and lucky.

Comment from: Tara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

First the cellulitis area (ankles and feet) gets really warm to the touch, then it starts itching, the area turns red. Try not to scratch the area, it only makes it worse. Within the next few hours my foot and ankle are swollen, the skin where it's swollen is tight and my foot feels like it's full of water. It's very painful. I can't put any pressure on the foot that's swollen. It sometimes also starts making red discolorations in my skin going up my calf and shin.

Comment from: sad mom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I got a pedicure and she used a razor scraper and took off a chunk of skin. Within 24 hours my whole leg and foot was swollen, blotchy, red, burning, and hot to the touch. I spent 4 hours in the emergency room. They wanted to admit me for the cellulitis, but I didn"t want to stay so they let me go home on bed rest for 4 days. What was a lovely Mother"s Day gift with my daughter turned into a nightmare! Moral: Never let them use a razor-scraper on your feet, they are never cleaned, used from patient to patient.

Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.