Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: Pradeep K A., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I had pain in my knee and heavy swelling on my leg from knee to foot and heavy pain. For 40 days I had taken antibiotics injections and bed rest in hospital for 7 days for my cellulitis.

Comment from: Desi64, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I woke up one morning feeling fine and got busy with my day. I dropped some green beans off at my sister's house and as I left her driveway my legs started tingling, by the time I got home (20 minutes) I was nauseous and could barely move. Everything ached. My fever hit 103.9 that evening and we went to urgent care who sent me to the emergency room (ER). Two days later the rash appeared on my left ankle and I could not walk. Again to the ER then a three night stay in the hospital with IV antibiotics, oral antibiotics and my relief finally came with an antibiotic for staph and MRSA. One month and 5 days later I am able to walk again. My foot and leg are swollen and I still have minor pain. Nothing like early on. That was pain like I had never experienced before. There is still much I am not able to do but I feel more like myself. It has truly been a horrific time of my life.

Comment from: Maurice, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

It started with sore pain above thumb knuckle. No visible cut or scrape. Overnight fingers and wrist had swollen up. After days popping painkillers I attended the Accident and Emergency. I was diagnosed with cellulitis, kept in for 3 weeks on two types of IV antibiotics. I was informed I had septic arthritis/osteomyelitis and discharged with a further 2 weeks of antibiotic tablets.

Comment from: deb4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I almost missed knowing that I had cellulitis. I think what threw me off was that I had had dry cracked skin on my elbow for a couple of weeks. Then it began to swell and turn red over a couple of days. I also noticed quite a bit of pain beneath my underarm and I thought I had pulled a muscle. However after a couple of days, it was clear to me that something was amiss with my elbow beyond dry skin gone wild. The area was hot and puffy and red. I realized too that the pain and golf ball feeling in my underarm was swollen lymph nodes. Often cellulitis presents without any known broken skin, so I think this is how I did not realize initially that I had cellulitis.

Comment from: linuxguru, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I had a small pimple on my left cheek about an inch from my mouth, which I accidentally grazed with my fingernail and it ruptured. There was a small amount of blood that drained. I delayed cleaning and applying Mycitracin at this location for a couple of hours, and apparently it spread then. The pimple appeared to have healed over the next few days, but there was an underlying piece of hardness below a hair follicle. I extracted that hair with tweezers, and attempted to expel the lump below it by palpating it - big mistake! Within about 30 minutes I had a reddish inflammation about the size of a quarter. I treated this with antibiotic ointments for 3 days with no apparent effect, and a slow increase in size of the lesion. Finally, I went to the clinic and it was diagnosed as cellulitis, and Cefixime 200 (oral) 1-0-1 was prescribed. By the third dose, it was clear that it was not effective and the lesion was still spreading, with a diffuse itching on the outer surface similar to the sensation of sunburn. The antibiotic was switched to Augmentin 625 (oral), which appears to have got the spread under control after just one dose; the inflammation is less severe and is not spreading further. The course may have to be extended beyond 5 days, but it's still a relief. Moral of the story: never palpate a prior infection below an infected hair follicle.

Comment from: dziner05, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I have no idea how I contracted cellulitis. One day I just noticed that my calf was red and swollen, as was my foot. No pain whatsoever, or any other symptoms besides severe itching. I'm on day three of antibiotics, and the redness seems to be subsiding. Although, I now seem to have pain in my upper leg. I am not sure if it's related or not. They did blood work, and there was no infection in my system. So, hopefully this isn't related.

Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.