Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Treatments

What was your treatment for cellulitis?

Comment from: katie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had the flu with temperatures of 104 + for two days; and lower temperatures on other days. After getting over the flu I noticed a couple of reddish places on my knee and side of my leg. It started getting bigger so I went to the doctor. He first gave me an ointment which didn"t work. Then two doctors looked at it and immediately sent me for outpatient intravenous injection of the new antibiotic, Cubicin for 4 days. Then I was given oral antibiotics for a week. The intravenous injection was amazing! I am doing well and have learned so much. I had never heard of this cellulitis.

Comment from: Eltorow, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

My treatment for cellulitis was as follows. After I was admitted to the hospital, I was put on antibiotic drips with Augmentin and Ciprobay. My skin lesions and infection continued for three to four days even after the IV. I oozed yellowish liquid from my skin and wounds. The doctor said it's serum but I just don't know. I had my right leg, ankle and calf cleaned and dressed twice a day. It was extremely painful cleaning the surrounding skin, etc. I had to take Oxycontin to get some relief. After nine days my condition improved enough for me to be discharged.

Comment from: SeniorCellulitis, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 14

My mom was in the hospital for 17 days for bronchitis and was released. Her legs were still swollen and within a week started to turn red, tender to the touch and she could barely walk on her feet. The doctor prescribed an antibiotic and gave her Lasix for the swelling. Two days later she was admitted to the hospital for cellulitis. It is important to listen to the patient and monitor progress. She needed hospital intravenous antibiotics. The pills didn't work. Thank goodness we went to the emergency room.

Comment from: June, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had a diagnosis of cellulitis in my right Leg – ankle and foot. I had 4 weeks of erythromycin and was told that the infection was gone, but to concentrate on getting rid of the swelling. It is now 6 weeks and my ankle is still swollen, even though I did the elevating of leg, but I was given furosemide to take in the morning and lunch time. Then the doctor wanted to up the dosage from 20 mg to 40 mg, I haven"t taken them as I am allergic to furosemide, in the past when I had it, it started my Sciatica pain off. I just don"t know what options I have to get rid of the pain in my ankle and now my whole leg as the sciatica seems to have started, and my ankle is still swollen.

Comment from: lefkasman, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

My hand was bitten by a dog, I went to hospital where it was treated and bandaged. I went back a week later as the hand had swelled massively so I was admitted immediately. I spent 3 days on a drip and then sent home, very much better and the swelling has receded.

Comment from: terribleaumont, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 18

After a year of cellulitis infection under the skin in belly area my friend still has it. Also, many surgeries have been done to clean it and stitch it. Very depressing.

Comment from: moecanic, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

My pain started with a golf ball size red spot in the middle of rib cage in the middle of my chest on my right side. Within 72 hours it covered an area from my belt to within a thumb with of my armpit. My skin is really tight and it looks like a sunburn and is sore to the touch. The medical team could not find a point of origin. I was told that it was possible when I was in the hospital 2 months ago for pneumonia, that I could have been carrying a staph blood infection. That I may have bumped my side and it bruised the top of my ribs and the staph germ entered the area that way .The only thing is, I don't remember bumping my side, but it is possible. My treatment was a shot in my hip (can't remember the medicine) and a regiment of Keflex taking orally.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.