Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Treatments

What was your treatment for cellulitis?

Comment from: liz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had a small pimple at the back of my thigh. I squeezed it and after 2 days I had terrible pain and heat around the site. Within a few hours I the swelling increased to the size of a base ball and the heat was unbearable. My doctor gave me oral antibiotics flucloxalin 500mg to take 3 times a day. I did but after 2 days the swelling was getting worse and unbearable. I had no fever but went back to my doctor who told me it was cellulitis and I was put on IV antibiotics cefuroxime and gave me 6 probenecid tablets to take orally. I will have another dose of IV abs tomorrow and hopefully that will fix it. The swelling is still there but the heat and pain are a lot better.

Comment from: Mssig, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I have a red warm spot on my foot. It is about the size of a half dollar. I have had it before and was given antibiotics. After about the 5th time I did not take the antibiotics and it went away on its own. The Drs. have called it cellulitis, and they tested for gout which was negative. I even had a bone scan. It is really bad again and spreading. I went to the urgent care and told the Dr. my story and he gave me some cream called triamcinolone acetonide. I'm afraid to use it because he said if it is cellulitis it could make it worse.

Comment from: swannin, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I felt like someone punched me in the bridge of my nose and no one had. It was very tender and a bit red. I had pain when I lightly touched the bridge of my nose for over a week and then I started with a bad headache, sporadic ringing in my ears, and at times pain that would go down to my teeth. Oh, and to boot I'm pregnant. I went to the doctor with the feeling like someone punched me in the nose. The doctor told me my blood pressure was 147/80 which is very high for me. Mine is normally 107/70. She prescribed me Dexamehasone (steriod) 3 days and Amox-Clav (antibiotic) 5 days. In 1 day I am feeling much better. I even went out to have my blood pressure checked and it dropped to 121/76.

Comment from: cindypoo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I put on a glove from a garage the other day, got some kind of a stinging bite, shook the glove off and anything in there, the pain was a sharp pain, kind of like a bee sting, the next day there was redness, some swelling, the next day large red blotched and more swelling on the hand, I finally went to ER and was put on IV antibiotic and steroids for a few days, 6 hours apart for treatment, diagnosis was cellulitis. There was a small puncture in pinky finger, still now sure what bit me, but am on pill forms antibiotics 2 every 6 hours until gone.

Comment from: ldymargaret, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I was told I had an insect bite that caused extreme swelling in my lower leg which was very painful. I was given a cream by the doctor and was told the swelling would go down. It didnt, in fact the swelling went to my foot and was so large (the size of a small football). I couldn't wear shoes or slippers, and finally after 2 weeks of severe pain I had chelation therapy. After the first treatment I was able to walk no pain. I continued the therapy and within the first week and all swelling and pain was gone. I have not had any reoccurences.

Comment from: Dee Dee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 19

This is about the 10th time for cellulitis since my Mastectomy 28 years ago. Most recently 2 weeks ago I recieced Augmentin orally for 6 days with 2 IM injections of Rochepin-followed by 9 days of Out-Patient I .V. therapy of Rocephin. This episode occurred in the pointer finger of my right hand and spread to all the fingers and I had swelling in whole hand-very painful. I had no temperature.

Comment from: DD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I was diagnosed with cellulitis. The doctor originally thought it was gout. No breaks in skin or wounds. I got antibiotics, it went away after a week, but 10 days later it came back on the other foot. Now it started again a month later in a different area. I am not overweight nor do I have Diabetes.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.