Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Treatments

What was your treatment for cellulitis?

Comment from: cindypoo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I put on a glove from a garage the other day, got some kind of a stinging bite, shook the glove off and anything in there, the pain was a sharp pain, kind of like a bee sting, the next day there was redness, some swelling, the next day large red blotched and more swelling on the hand, I finally went to ER and was put on IV antibiotic and steroids for a few days, 6 hours apart for treatment, diagnosis was cellulitis. There was a small puncture in pinky finger, still now sure what bit me, but am on pill forms antibiotics 2 every 6 hours until gone.

Comment from: ldymargaret, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I was told I had an insect bite that caused extreme swelling in my lower leg which was very painful. I was given a cream by the doctor and was told the swelling would go down. It didnt, in fact the swelling went to my foot and was so large (the size of a small football). I couldn't wear shoes or slippers, and finally after 2 weeks of severe pain I had chelation therapy. After the first treatment I was able to walk no pain. I continued the therapy and within the first week and all swelling and pain was gone. I have not had any reoccurences.

Comment from: Dee Dee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 19

This is about the 10th time for cellulitis since my Mastectomy 28 years ago. Most recently 2 weeks ago I recieced Augmentin orally for 6 days with 2 IM injections of Rochepin-followed by 9 days of Out-Patient I .V. therapy of Rocephin. This episode occurred in the pointer finger of my right hand and spread to all the fingers and I had swelling in whole hand-very painful. I had no temperature.

Comment from: DD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I was diagnosed with cellulitis. The doctor originally thought it was gout. No breaks in skin or wounds. I got antibiotics, it went away after a week, but 10 days later it came back on the other foot. Now it started again a month later in a different area. I am not overweight nor do I have Diabetes.

Comment from: mysterylady, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

My symptoms started last Wednesday at work my arm started to itch and I was scratching it and it was a little red then that night I got home the arm kept itching and I kept scratching it an then the next morning it was big an swollen and red like fire the only thing that helped was the hot water. I didn't know what to do so I called my doctor and got an appt. when I got there the arm was so big it was ugly and burning I got sum antibiotics and the swelling went down but the pain was still there I was told it was cellulitis.

Comment from: lilaudrey, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: January 03

Clindamycin was prescribed. It has been taken every once in a while for three years. The cellulitis doesn't seem to go away.

Comment from: gddog89, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

It started for me last week, I noticed pain and swelling to my left ankle. Not sure what I did I ignored it and hobbled around Sunday until it became quite red, swollen, hard, and started to spread. I went to the emergency room via driving myself and went through ultrasound to rule out a blood clot. Thankfully a blood clot was ruled out and it was determined to be cellulitis. On my first 24 hours of antibiotics and it has dissipated a bit (redness and swelling) and I go back in two days for a follow-up, will keep you advised. Painful but I can walk on it.

Comment from: DCmama, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I developed cellulitis in my left cheek. Very painful and spreading toward my eye. This is apparently very dangerous (because the brain could be infected through the eye). I was hospitalized for several days and put on intravenous antibiotics and pain killers. I was in intensive care for several days. When it spread to one of my teeth (one with an old, long root canal), I had to have the tooth removed and was again treated with antibiotics.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.