Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Treatments

What was your treatment for cellulitis?

Comment from: old girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I suffered most of last year with many bouts of cellulitis, iv antibiotics did nothing. Eventually it subsided of own accord. Great relief for itching from apple cider vinegar, 2 tbspns neat, chased with water when itching starts. Also swab site with same, if it stings it's a relief from itching and doesn't last.

Comment from: Sad for her, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 12

My disabled daughter is 19. She went to school and came home with a swollen right foot. We thought it was sprained. We took her to the emergency room, and she was diagnosed with acute cellulitis. She's never had anything like this before. Besides, she had no open or healing wound on or around her toes, ankle, bottom or top of her foot. They gave her an injection of Rocephin and sent us home with Bactrim, Keflex, and Tylenol. She also has bruising around her ankle, above it and below it.

Comment from: msholly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I was diagnosed with cellulitis about 15 years ago under my left breast. It has only flared up three times about every five years. It is so painful. Presently my doctor has me on Bactrim, and it is taking forever to work, although other antibiotics worked in the past. It looks like a balloon-filled boil (it is not a rash), and it is red and painful all around it.

Comment from: susan b, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I developed cellulitis twice in my left breast. The last time I had this, I was in the hospital for five days with strong antibiotics.

Comment from: ARBIE, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

About a week ago I broke my elbow open. I thought nothing of it 3 days later my arm began to swell considerably. I went to a Dr. and he told me it was a bad infection. He drained it and placed packing in it. (He told me he had placed a "wick" in it that I could remove by Monday. It is very painful with a lot of body aches, fever, and general flu-like symptoms. Also I have developed a poison ivy like rash on several parts of my body.

Comment from: min, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had bad bouts of cellulitis over a period of 25 years. Each time it is harder to shift. The latest lot saw me on intravenous antibiotics for 2 weeks then 1000 mg of Keflex every 6 hours this has continued for 3 1/2 years under Doctors supervision and every time I try to get off Keflex the cellulitis starts to return. My initial lot started as a result of mosquito bites all those years ago.

Comment from: Niki, Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I am 34 years old and I have had cellulitis 3 times in the same place. Directly under my right eye. Very close to the eye. The 1st time was right after getting a hair cut, and I believe a small hair poked my skin, or at least caused me to scratch that spot. It has came back twice in the same area, not sure why.

Comment from: billie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

Was diagnosed with celluitis within 24 hours of receiving two yellow jacket stings. Redness surrounding stings grew larger, harder, with raised borders. Began keflex regimen. Pain and itch is very pronounced.

Comment from: mamaritt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had abdominal surgery 7 weeks ago. 4 weeks ago I noticed that my lower abdomen below the incision was swelling, turning red and very warm/hot to the touch. I only ran a slight fever. The doctor put me on Cipro which wasn't strong enough. I went to the ER 5 days after starting Cipro. I felt like my incision was going to burst open and in a lot of pain. The ER doctor diagnosed cellulitis caused from excess blood accumulation (perfect bacterial medium). I was given Invance intravenously for 5 days, 3 during my hospital admission and 2 as outpatient. I'm on Augmentin 875mg 2x daily, now orally for what will probably be 20 days. My drain scar has now burst open and began oozing pus and blood at first, now it won't close and is just a little blood. I have to change the dressing about every 3 hours during the day, but lying down reduces the blood flow and I can go all night without soaking through. Rest, antibiotics, and time is what I've been told. Improvement is very slow and I am depressed over this.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.