Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Treatments

What was your treatment for cellulitis?

Comment from: cathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I had a hysterectomy in October of 2012. I developed a wound dehiscence (splitting) and wore a wound VAC for three months. I had a small area that still needed to heal and was told it would just take time. I got cellulitis in December and was in the hospital for three days on Cipro and Flagyl. Three years later, I have cellulitis again and am on oral Cipro and Flagyl. I still have a wound opening and am making an appointment at a wound care center. I hope that healing the wound will stop the cellulitis. I had a very high fever and flu-like symptoms. Also, all the skin turned dark purple and was very hot.

Comment from: Dan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a small cut on my elbow. After setting my elbow down at work (in a high traffic area) my elbow swelled up and became painful. I went to the urgent care the next day and the doctor prescribed 875 mg of Augmentin twice a day, for 10 days. After a few days of taking the antibiotic it was obvious it was not working. The infection continued to spread until pretty much my whole arm was swollen. I went back to an urgent care and they gave me an IV of Cephalenxin and an oral prescription of 500 mg four times a day, for 10 days. The results were apparent as quick as the next day. 10 days after taking Cephalenxin my swelling/redness has been reduced to just around my elbow. I'm going to urgent care for the third time to follow up.

Comment from: old girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I suffered most of last year with many bouts of cellulitis, iv antibiotics did nothing. Eventually it subsided of own accord. Great relief for itching from apple cider vinegar, 2 tbspns neat, chased with water when itching starts. Also swab site with same, if it stings it's a relief from itching and doesn't last.

Comment from: Sad for her, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 12

My disabled daughter is 19. She went to school and came home with a swollen right foot. We thought it was sprained. We took her to the emergency room, and she was diagnosed with acute cellulitis. She's never had anything like this before. Besides, she had no open or healing wound on or around her toes, ankle, bottom or top of her foot. They gave her an injection of Rocephin and sent us home with Bactrim, Keflex, and Tylenol. She also has bruising around her ankle, above it and below it.

Comment from: msholly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I was diagnosed with cellulitis about 15 years ago under my left breast. It has only flared up three times about every five years. It is so painful. Presently my doctor has me on Bactrim, and it is taking forever to work, although other antibiotics worked in the past. It looks like a balloon-filled boil (it is not a rash), and it is red and painful all around it.

Comment from: susan b, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I developed cellulitis twice in my left breast. The last time I had this, I was in the hospital for five days with strong antibiotics.

Comment from: ARBIE, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

About a week ago I broke my elbow open. I thought nothing of it 3 days later my arm began to swell considerably. I went to a Dr. and he told me it was a bad infection. He drained it and placed packing in it. (He told me he had placed a "wick" in it that I could remove by Monday. It is very painful with a lot of body aches, fever, and general flu-like symptoms. Also I have developed a poison ivy like rash on several parts of my body.

Comment from: min, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had bad bouts of cellulitis over a period of 25 years. Each time it is harder to shift. The latest lot saw me on intravenous antibiotics for 2 weeks then 1000 mg of Keflex every 6 hours this has continued for 3 1/2 years under Doctors supervision and every time I try to get off Keflex the cellulitis starts to return. My initial lot started as a result of mosquito bites all those years ago.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.