Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Treatments

What was your treatment for cellulitis?

Comment from: susan b, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I developed cellulitis twice in my left breast. The last time I had this, I was in the hospital for five days with strong antibiotics.

Comment from: ARBIE, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

About a week ago I broke my elbow open. I thought nothing of it 3 days later my arm began to swell considerably. I went to a Dr. and he told me it was a bad infection. He drained it and placed packing in it. (He told me he had placed a "wick" in it that I could remove by Monday. It is very painful with a lot of body aches, fever, and general flu-like symptoms. Also I have developed a poison ivy like rash on several parts of my body.

Comment from: min, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had bad bouts of cellulitis over a period of 25 years. Each time it is harder to shift. The latest lot saw me on intravenous antibiotics for 2 weeks then 1000 mg of Keflex every 6 hours this has continued for 3 1/2 years under Doctors supervision and every time I try to get off Keflex the cellulitis starts to return. My initial lot started as a result of mosquito bites all those years ago.

Comment from: Niki, Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I am 34 years old and I have had cellulitis 3 times in the same place. Directly under my right eye. Very close to the eye. The 1st time was right after getting a hair cut, and I believe a small hair poked my skin, or at least caused me to scratch that spot. It has came back twice in the same area, not sure why.

Comment from: billie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

Was diagnosed with celluitis within 24 hours of receiving two yellow jacket stings. Redness surrounding stings grew larger, harder, with raised borders. Began keflex regimen. Pain and itch is very pronounced.

Comment from: Davey, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I kicked the skin off my toe. Nothing serious and thought nothing of it. 2 days later my leg around the shin bone was extremely tender and got sorer by the minute. A couple of hours later I had uncontrolable shivers and my leg was red and hot and extremely painful. Pain like I have never felt before. That was 2 weeks ago and after 9 days in hospital. I have had continual IV antibiotics and it's only been the last 2 days that I have been able to walk again. The skin didn't burst but peeled like a bad sunburn. Was like my leg was cooking from the inside out! It is still very painful but I can see the infection is on it's way out. I will continue antibiotics until this thing is dead. I do not want to go through this again. At one stage I would have been happy for them to take my leg off as the pain was that bad!

Comment from: mamaritt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had abdominal surgery 7 weeks ago. 4 weeks ago I noticed that my lower abdomen below the incision was swelling, turning red and very warm/hot to the touch. I only ran a slight fever. The doctor put me on Cipro which wasn't strong enough. I went to the ER 5 days after starting Cipro. I felt like my incision was going to burst open and in a lot of pain. The ER doctor diagnosed cellulitis caused from excess blood accumulation (perfect bacterial medium). I was given Invance intravenously for 5 days, 3 during my hospital admission and 2 as outpatient. I'm on Augmentin 875mg 2x daily, now orally for what will probably be 20 days. My drain scar has now burst open and began oozing pus and blood at first, now it won't close and is just a little blood. I have to change the dressing about every 3 hours during the day, but lying down reduces the blood flow and I can go all night without soaking through. Rest, antibiotics, and time is what I've been told. Improvement is very slow and I am depressed over this.

Comment from: JJ, 0-2 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

My daughter is 6 months 3 weeks and at first I got scared so I took her to the clinic I had thought something had bit her but then they decided to do some blood test and they left us in the hospital. She had iv put in her and antibiotics it got really big swollen and purple so her doctor thought it would be best to poke it with a needle and bring out the puss so they put some numbing cream on her little breast which that's where it was; and covered it with clear tape while they got ready and then 5 min later I noticed a whole bunch of blood and puss on her gown so I called the nurse in right away. That made it all easier from there the doc just squeezed out the puss and the swelling went down dramatically by the next day we were already home.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.