Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Treatments

What was your treatment for cellulitis?

Comment from: Marti, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

This is my third go round with cellulitis. It starts with redness and swelling and a tingling sensation. Then it feels hard. I always go to the ER because they're concerned I may have a blood clot. The only cause I can think of is that I have no fat padding on the bottoms of my feet and I get callouses. Yes, I do see a podiatrist and I go to get fitted at a good shoe store.

Comment from: carla, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

My leg began to swell and turn red and hurt for a couple of days. I didn't think much of it until I woke up one morning with a high fever and chills. My husband took me to the hospital, where I was treated for cellulitis. I was there for four days and got worse by the minute. My leg broke out with nasty blisters from the ankle to the knee. My white cells went crazy, and then my kidneys and lungs started shutting down. I turned blue and was transported to another hospital 70 miles away, where I was treated for three weeks. I am back home now, but my leg looks burned and I have to treat it and wrap it every day. I have to see the kidney doctors to treat my kidneys. This is something very serious and should not be overlooked.

Comment from: cathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I had a hysterectomy in October of 2012. I developed a wound dehiscence (splitting) and wore a wound VAC for three months. I had a small area that still needed to heal and was told it would just take time. I got cellulitis in December and was in the hospital for three days on Cipro and Flagyl. Three years later, I have cellulitis again and am on oral Cipro and Flagyl. I still have a wound opening and am making an appointment at a wound care center. I hope that healing the wound will stop the cellulitis. I had a very high fever and flu-like symptoms. Also, all the skin turned dark purple and was very hot.

Comment from: Dan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a small cut on my elbow. After setting my elbow down at work (in a high traffic area) my elbow swelled up and became painful. I went to the urgent care the next day and the doctor prescribed 875 mg of Augmentin twice a day, for 10 days. After a few days of taking the antibiotic it was obvious it was not working. The infection continued to spread until pretty much my whole arm was swollen. I went back to an urgent care and they gave me an IV of Cephalenxin and an oral prescription of 500 mg four times a day, for 10 days. The results were apparent as quick as the next day. 10 days after taking Cephalenxin my swelling/redness has been reduced to just around my elbow. I'm going to urgent care for the third time to follow up.

Comment from: old girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I suffered most of last year with many bouts of cellulitis, iv antibiotics did nothing. Eventually it subsided of own accord. Great relief for itching from apple cider vinegar, 2 tbspns neat, chased with water when itching starts. Also swab site with same, if it stings it's a relief from itching and doesn't last.

Comment from: Sad for her, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 12

My disabled daughter is 19. She went to school and came home with a swollen right foot. We thought it was sprained. We took her to the emergency room, and she was diagnosed with acute cellulitis. She's never had anything like this before. Besides, she had no open or healing wound on or around her toes, ankle, bottom or top of her foot. They gave her an injection of Rocephin and sent us home with Bactrim, Keflex, and Tylenol. She also has bruising around her ankle, above it and below it.

Comment from: msholly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I was diagnosed with cellulitis about 15 years ago under my left breast. It has only flared up three times about every five years. It is so painful. Presently my doctor has me on Bactrim, and it is taking forever to work, although other antibiotics worked in the past. It looks like a balloon-filled boil (it is not a rash), and it is red and painful all around it.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.