Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Treatments

What was your treatment for cellulitis?

Comment from: old girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I suffered most of last year with many bouts of cellulitis, iv antibiotics did nothing. Eventually it subsided of own accord. Great relief for itching from apple cider vinegar, 2 tbspns neat, chased with water when itching starts. Also swab site with same, if it stings it's a relief from itching and doesn't last.

Comment from: Sad for her, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 12

My disabled daughter is 19. She went to school and came home with a swollen right foot. We thought it was sprained. We took her to the emergency room, and she was diagnosed with acute cellulitis. She's never had anything like this before. Besides, she had no open or healing wound on or around her toes, ankle, bottom or top of her foot. They gave her an injection of Rocephin and sent us home with Bactrim, Keflex, and Tylenol. She also has bruising around her ankle, above it and below it.

Comment from: msholly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I was diagnosed with cellulitis about 15 years ago under my left breast. It has only flared up three times about every five years. It is so painful. Presently my doctor has me on Bactrim, and it is taking forever to work, although other antibiotics worked in the past. It looks like a balloon-filled boil (it is not a rash), and it is red and painful all around it.

Comment from: susan b, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I developed cellulitis twice in my left breast. The last time I had this, I was in the hospital for five days with strong antibiotics.

Comment from: ARBIE, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

About a week ago I broke my elbow open. I thought nothing of it 3 days later my arm began to swell considerably. I went to a Dr. and he told me it was a bad infection. He drained it and placed packing in it. (He told me he had placed a "wick" in it that I could remove by Monday. It is very painful with a lot of body aches, fever, and general flu-like symptoms. Also I have developed a poison ivy like rash on several parts of my body.

Comment from: min, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had bad bouts of cellulitis over a period of 25 years. Each time it is harder to shift. The latest lot saw me on intravenous antibiotics for 2 weeks then 1000 mg of Keflex every 6 hours this has continued for 3 1/2 years under Doctors supervision and every time I try to get off Keflex the cellulitis starts to return. My initial lot started as a result of mosquito bites all those years ago.

Comment from: Niki, Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I am 34 years old and I have had cellulitis 3 times in the same place. Directly under my right eye. Very close to the eye. The 1st time was right after getting a hair cut, and I believe a small hair poked my skin, or at least caused me to scratch that spot. It has came back twice in the same area, not sure why.

Comment from: billie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

Was diagnosed with celluitis within 24 hours of receiving two yellow jacket stings. Redness surrounding stings grew larger, harder, with raised borders. Began keflex regimen. Pain and itch is very pronounced.

Comment from: Davey, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I kicked the skin off my toe. Nothing serious and thought nothing of it. 2 days later my leg around the shin bone was extremely tender and got sorer by the minute. A couple of hours later I had uncontrolable shivers and my leg was red and hot and extremely painful. Pain like I have never felt before. That was 2 weeks ago and after 9 days in hospital. I have had continual IV antibiotics and it's only been the last 2 days that I have been able to walk again. The skin didn't burst but peeled like a bad sunburn. Was like my leg was cooking from the inside out! It is still very painful but I can see the infection is on it's way out. I will continue antibiotics until this thing is dead. I do not want to go through this again. At one stage I would have been happy for them to take my leg off as the pain was that bad!

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.