Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Treatments

What was your treatment for cellulitis?

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

Mine started from a cat scratch but there was MRSA in the house also. It started as a round, and very tender to the touch, spot that felt like liquid underneath almost like a big blister. It enlarged and became very painful and also spread to the other leg. It made sort of a line and proceeded to move slowly around my calf and feet. Doc threw every antibiotic he could at it to the point that my stomach felt raw. They would slow it down for a day or two for each different antibiotic but then went back to full throttle. I was in very much pain so I finally went to hospital and was admitted and they put two IV's in and ran antibiotics into me plus other stuff. It finally stopped but had spread all the way around my lower legs. It damaged my skin and nerves to the point that I can no longer stay on them very long. The pain is like someone stabbing you, all over the lower legs and feet, with ice picks. After surgeons looking and other specialists, there is nothing that can be done to stop the pain. Cold weather makes it extremely worse. If you get this, go to hospital and have it taken care of asap. After the fluid feeling red spot passed over, it left a mess of my legs. Because I trusted the doc I now have to deal with the pain and ugliness for the rest of my life.

Comment from: terribleaumont, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 18

After a year of cellulitis infection under the skin in belly area my friend still has it. Also, many surgeries have been done to clean it and stitch it. Very depressing.

Comment from: moecanic, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

My pain started with a golf ball size red spot in the middle of rib cage in the middle of my chest on my right side. Within 72 hours it covered an area from my belt to within a thumb with of my armpit. My skin is really tight and it looks like a sunburn and is sore to the touch. The medical team could not find a point of origin. I was told that it was possible when I was in the hospital 2 months ago for pneumonia, that I could have been carrying a staph blood infection. That I may have bumped my side and it bruised the top of my ribs and the staph germ entered the area that way .The only thing is, I don't remember bumping my side, but it is possible. My treatment was a shot in my hip (can't remember the medicine) and a regiment of Keflex taking orally.

Comment from: Colonel col, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had penicillin and 3 days later I am feeling much better.

Comment from: mv2469, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I got treated for a bursitis-cellulitis yesterday in the emergency room. I am also on 2 antibiotics first one is Cleocin 4 times a day and the 2nd one is Bactrim 2 times a day.

Comment from: icc87, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I had cellulitis after Thanksgiving last year! I am still recovering - June 2013! I am diabetic, had three small blisters on the back of my right calf. It got infected, the blisters joined together into one! Hurt like h*** and went to my Internist who tried to heal with antibiotics. Meds weren't strong enough, went back and received stronger antibiotics shots which helped a little but infection was too big. Pain was a 14 on a scale of 1 - 10. Finally saw a Wound Specialist who sent me to the hospital IMMEDIATELY to have the infection cut out. He "operated" 3 times over about 12 days! I came home with a wound vacuum - awesome technology and two different antibiotics! Getting close to being well! DO NOT FOOL AROUND WITH THIS SKIN DISORDER/ DISEASE! IF YOU ARE DIABETIC GET YOUR SUGARS UNDER TIGHT CONTROL! It does make a difference!

Comment from: rgonza67, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

May 6, 2013. 2 days ago develeoped a small red area about 3 inches below my armpit. Thought it was a pimple. It got bigger and bigger but no head formed. This solid feeling mass got to be about the size of a large pea, VERY painfull. Woke up this a.m. unable to sleep due to pain. Went to the ER. Doc took a quick look determined it to be cellulitis. Sent me home with Sulfamethoxazole 800mg/ Trimethoprim 160mg. Hope this works. Feels like I have an orange tucked between my arm and the side of my chest. A painfull orange.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.