Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Treatments

What was your treatment for cellulitis?

Comment from: Suitcasey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I have cellulitis in my baby toe on my left foot. It started 6 days ago with my toe really hurting and continuing to get worse for a few days. I couldn't see anything when I looked at it. No bite, no marks etc. and I had not injured it. By the 3rd day I woke up to a very red and swollen toe and a lot of pain. It continued to worsen so I finally saw my doctor yesterday and he diagnosed cellulitis and started me on antibiotics (ciprofloxacin) for 7 days as well as Tylenol 3 for pain. I'm surprised at how painful it is as I can't even put my shoe on and I have a high pain threshold. I've never had anything like this before and my doctor could not see any break in the skin on my toe so is uncertain how I got it.

Comment from: Victoria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

The most effective treatment I have found for my bouts of cellulitis is the drug Biaxin or Biaxin XL. I have had a few bouts of cellulitis with no obvious cause. I was even hospitalized once for seven days on Keflex by IV. It was not effective for me and I continued with four additional oral prescriptions before it was under control. Biaxin begins to start the decrease of redness and swelling on the second day of treatment for me. I now ask my doctor for this antibiotic if cellulitis is suspected.

Comment from: Greg, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I first had a small itch on my chest anterior wall that I scratched. Within 4hours it was very warm and inflamed and developed a black crust at the centre. Within 12 hours it was extremely painful and I had a temp of 103.1 with cold sweats and shivers. When to the doctor next morning and I was put straight into hospital. Initially I was treated with IV antibiotics every 6 hours but due to allergic to penicillin it made treatment very difficult. Within 24 hours it had spread across entire left side of chest around under arm with area turning dark purple. Additional antibiotic of lycamiacin was given and by 72 hours infection had stopped spreading but a large abscess about 150x200 had formed in chest muscle. Had the site been surgically opened, cleaned and dead tissue removed at 120 hours it would have been okay. I spent 7 days total in hospital continually on IV antibiotics. Now on oral Keflex 500mg every 6 hours with a large hole still in chest after 14 days that needs constant repacking and cleaning. Doctors have told me it will take several weeks for the wound to fully heal.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

Mine started from a cat scratch but there was MRSA in the house also. It started as a round, and very tender to the touch, spot that felt like liquid underneath almost like a big blister. It enlarged and became very painful and also spread to the other leg. It made sort of a line and proceeded to move slowly around my calf and feet. Doc threw every antibiotic he could at it to the point that my stomach felt raw. They would slow it down for a day or two for each different antibiotic but then went back to full throttle. I was in very much pain so I finally went to hospital and was admitted and they put two IV's in and ran antibiotics into me plus other stuff. It finally stopped but had spread all the way around my lower legs. It damaged my skin and nerves to the point that I can no longer stay on them very long. The pain is like someone stabbing you, all over the lower legs and feet, with ice picks. After surgeons looking and other specialists, there is nothing that can be done to stop the pain. Cold weather makes it extremely worse. If you get this, go to hospital and have it taken care of asap. After the fluid feeling red spot passed over, it left a mess of my legs. Because I trusted the doc I now have to deal with the pain and ugliness for the rest of my life.

Comment from: terribleaumont, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 18

After a year of cellulitis infection under the skin in belly area my friend still has it. Also, many surgeries have been done to clean it and stitch it. Very depressing.

Comment from: moecanic, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

My pain started with a golf ball size red spot in the middle of rib cage in the middle of my chest on my right side. Within 72 hours it covered an area from my belt to within a thumb with of my armpit. My skin is really tight and it looks like a sunburn and is sore to the touch. The medical team could not find a point of origin. I was told that it was possible when I was in the hospital 2 months ago for pneumonia, that I could have been carrying a staph blood infection. That I may have bumped my side and it bruised the top of my ribs and the staph germ entered the area that way .The only thing is, I don't remember bumping my side, but it is possible. My treatment was a shot in my hip (can't remember the medicine) and a regiment of Keflex taking orally.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.