Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Treatments

What was your treatment for cellulitis?

Comment from: Colonel col, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had penicillin and 3 days later I am feeling much better.

Comment from: mv2469, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I got treated for a bursitis-cellulitis yesterday in the emergency room. I am also on 2 antibiotics first one is Cleocin 4 times a day and the 2nd one is Bactrim 2 times a day.

Comment from: icc87, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I had cellulitis after Thanksgiving last year! I am still recovering - June 2013! I am diabetic, had three small blisters on the back of my right calf. It got infected, the blisters joined together into one! Hurt like h*** and went to my Internist who tried to heal with antibiotics. Meds weren't strong enough, went back and received stronger antibiotics shots which helped a little but infection was too big. Pain was a 14 on a scale of 1 - 10. Finally saw a Wound Specialist who sent me to the hospital IMMEDIATELY to have the infection cut out. He "operated" 3 times over about 12 days! I came home with a wound vacuum - awesome technology and two different antibiotics! Getting close to being well! DO NOT FOOL AROUND WITH THIS SKIN DISORDER/ DISEASE! IF YOU ARE DIABETIC GET YOUR SUGARS UNDER TIGHT CONTROL! It does make a difference!

Comment from: rgonza67, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

May 6, 2013. 2 days ago develeoped a small red area about 3 inches below my armpit. Thought it was a pimple. It got bigger and bigger but no head formed. This solid feeling mass got to be about the size of a large pea, VERY painfull. Woke up this a.m. unable to sleep due to pain. Went to the ER. Doc took a quick look determined it to be cellulitis. Sent me home with Sulfamethoxazole 800mg/ Trimethoprim 160mg. Hope this works. Feels like I have an orange tucked between my arm and the side of my chest. A painfull orange.

Comment from: Marti, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

This is my third go round with cellulitis. It starts with redness and swelling and a tingling sensation. Then it feels hard. I always go to the ER because they're concerned I may have a blood clot. The only cause I can think of is that I have no fat padding on the bottoms of my feet and I get callouses. Yes, I do see a podiatrist and I go to get fitted at a good shoe store.

Comment from: carla, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

My leg began to swell and turn red and hurt for a couple of days. I didn't think much of it until I woke up one morning with a high fever and chills. My husband took me to the hospital, where I was treated for cellulitis. I was there for four days and got worse by the minute. My leg broke out with nasty blisters from the ankle to the knee. My white cells went crazy, and then my kidneys and lungs started shutting down. I turned blue and was transported to another hospital 70 miles away, where I was treated for three weeks. I am back home now, but my leg looks burned and I have to treat it and wrap it every day. I have to see the kidney doctors to treat my kidneys. This is something very serious and should not be overlooked.

Comment from: cathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I had a hysterectomy in October of 2012. I developed a wound dehiscence (splitting) and wore a wound VAC for three months. I had a small area that still needed to heal and was told it would just take time. I got cellulitis in December and was in the hospital for three days on Cipro and Flagyl. Three years later, I have cellulitis again and am on oral Cipro and Flagyl. I still have a wound opening and am making an appointment at a wound care center. I hope that healing the wound will stop the cellulitis. I had a very high fever and flu-like symptoms. Also, all the skin turned dark purple and was very hot.

Comment from: Dan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a small cut on my elbow. After setting my elbow down at work (in a high traffic area) my elbow swelled up and became painful. I went to the urgent care the next day and the doctor prescribed 875 mg of Augmentin twice a day, for 10 days. After a few days of taking the antibiotic it was obvious it was not working. The infection continued to spread until pretty much my whole arm was swollen. I went back to an urgent care and they gave me an IV of Cephalenxin and an oral prescription of 500 mg four times a day, for 10 days. The results were apparent as quick as the next day. 10 days after taking Cephalenxin my swelling/redness has been reduced to just around my elbow. I'm going to urgent care for the third time to follow up.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.