Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Treatments

What was your treatment for cellulitis?

Comment from: Tony, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

No swelling, but slight redness with a few darker spots, tightness of ankle, a very tender sole as if walking on hot coals. On and off foot numb. Possibly developed from angioplasty, which also seems to have been a failure. Not sure if this is cellulitis, but still lots of pain and antibiotics stopped after seven days. Now on Lyrica Pregabalin which does not as yet seem to have kicked in - only been on for two days.

Comment from: cej517, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I went to the beach yesterday and was bitten by a horse fly. It burned and itched at first. 6 hours later my thigh was red, hot and very swollen. I had to work today and drew a line around the inflammation to see if it had spread, of course it did. My doctor has put me on Cephalexin. Hopefully this will work. I have to take 2000 MG a day for 7 days.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 12

My husband has had 5 bouts with cellulitus and/or Shingles. Some doctors had different opinions. It started with temp, chills, lightly red area between waist and buttocks. Treatments have varied first and second times a fairly large blister developed. I was hospitalized for a week or so on high doses of antibiotics. The third time he received high dose antibiotics at the emergency room within a few hours of symptoms starting and was sent home with antibiotic, anti viral and Prednisone. No blister formed and he was fine in 3 days. 4th time the doctor waffled about what it was. Admitted him and started high dose antibiotics, no anti viral or Prednisone. He was in the hospital a week and had an open wound about 5 inches tall and about 10 inches long. 5th time he received high dose antibiotic at emergency room, sent home with anti viral and Prednisone, no blister and cleared in a few days. Getting in quickly and beginning the 3 drugs quickly seems to be key to avoid bigger problems. Note, he has congestive heart problems and diabetes. No wound in area when it starts.

Comment from: Suitcasey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I have cellulitis in my baby toe on my left foot. It started 6 days ago with my toe really hurting and continuing to get worse for a few days. I couldn't see anything when I looked at it. No bite, no marks etc. and I had not injured it. By the 3rd day I woke up to a very red and swollen toe and a lot of pain. It continued to worsen so I finally saw my doctor yesterday and he diagnosed cellulitis and started me on antibiotics (ciprofloxacin) for 7 days as well as Tylenol 3 for pain. I'm surprised at how painful it is as I can't even put my shoe on and I have a high pain threshold. I've never had anything like this before and my doctor could not see any break in the skin on my toe so is uncertain how I got it.

Comment from: Victoria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

The most effective treatment I have found for my bouts of cellulitis is the drug Biaxin or Biaxin XL. I have had a few bouts of cellulitis with no obvious cause. I was even hospitalized once for seven days on Keflex by IV. It was not effective for me and I continued with four additional oral prescriptions before it was under control. Biaxin begins to start the decrease of redness and swelling on the second day of treatment for me. I now ask my doctor for this antibiotic if cellulitis is suspected.

Comment from: Greg, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I first had a small itch on my chest anterior wall that I scratched. Within 4hours it was very warm and inflamed and developed a black crust at the centre. Within 12 hours it was extremely painful and I had a temp of 103.1 with cold sweats and shivers. When to the doctor next morning and I was put straight into hospital. Initially I was treated with IV antibiotics every 6 hours but due to allergic to penicillin it made treatment very difficult. Within 24 hours it had spread across entire left side of chest around under arm with area turning dark purple. Additional antibiotic of lycamiacin was given and by 72 hours infection had stopped spreading but a large abscess about 150x200 had formed in chest muscle. Had the site been surgically opened, cleaned and dead tissue removed at 120 hours it would have been okay. I spent 7 days total in hospital continually on IV antibiotics. Now on oral Keflex 500mg every 6 hours with a large hole still in chest after 14 days that needs constant repacking and cleaning. Doctors have told me it will take several weeks for the wound to fully heal.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.