Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Treatments

What was your treatment for cellulitis?

Comment from: mb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

Bactrim was my treatment for cellulitis, nothing else will touch it.

Comment from: June, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had a diagnosis of cellulitis in my right Leg – ankle and foot. I had 4 weeks of erythromycin and was told that the infection was gone, but to concentrate on getting rid of the swelling. It is now 6 weeks and my ankle is still swollen, even though I did the elevating of leg, but I was given furosemide to take in the morning and lunch time. Then the doctor wanted to up the dosage from 20 mg to 40 mg, I haven"t taken them as I am allergic to furosemide, in the past when I had it, it started my Sciatica pain off. I just don"t know what options I have to get rid of the pain in my ankle and now my whole leg as the sciatica seems to have started, and my ankle is still swollen.

Comment from: lefkasman, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

My hand was bitten by a dog, I went to hospital where it was treated and bandaged. I went back a week later as the hand had swelled massively so I was admitted immediately. I spent 3 days on a drip and then sent home, very much better and the swelling has receded.

Comment from: Sharon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I can't remember how many times now I have gotten a small scratch on my leg down by my ankle in the same spot every time and it has turned into a wound, along with a full blown case of cellulitis. It took me two years to get one of my wounds to heal up all the way. No one understands how very painful this disease is until they actually experience it. I just got a new wound in the same spot again but this time it has made a sore about the size of my hand. I have found a wound care doctor is your only hope of getting rid of the sores. I did learn though that those support socks help a lot in the treatment process. After I get past the hot inflamed part wearing those helps with the circulation and both of my wound care doctors insisted I wear them.

Comment from: noglassslippers, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am diabetic and have been undergoing skin grafts for a deep crack in my foot. The day after my very last visit to wound center, I developed chills and low-grade temperature. My ankle became hot and red and painful. My doctor diagnosed it as cellulitis and put me on 10 days of Keflex. It is starting to improve. I'm keeping a close watch on the "hot spot" and staying off my foot as much as possible.

Comment from: Mike43, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

Two weeks ago a known dog bit me on my lower leg (calf muscle). I did not go to the hospital that day, and the dog bite (4 punctures) started to get swollen and painful. After two days, I went to my doctor and was diagnosed with Cellulitis, and prescribed Augmentin 800mg/twice a day. After a few days, this did not work, and my doctor changed it to Bactrin 1g/12 hours. Meanwhile, the wound got bigger, with the whole calf red, painful, with smelly discharge leaking down my bandages. Now after two weeks, I'm out of medicine, the wound got smaller but still leaks yellow matter, it looks like doctors don't learn anything in school nowadays about this prehistoric illness. I am very disappointed of all my doctors and their care!

Comment from: trace, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

Was going for my Saturday morning 30k run. Car was speeding, lost control, veered right at me. I don't know how, but I survived and ended up in the bush with a badly cut knee. 2 massive gashes. Being stubborn and obviously in shock, I refused to go to hospital and kept running. By the end, very sore and went to hospital. Treated with intravenous antibiotics, and oral, cleaned and around 25-30 stitches all up, some inside some outside. By the Mon. huge pain, back to hospital to be admitted. Hot, sick, headaches like never before and just rotten. Got transferred to a public hospital, left in waiting room for 4hrs sweating and feeling awful then more antibiotics. Also the diagnosis. I cannot believe it as I am so healthy and fit and now can't run and it isn't healing as it should. Not sure if the headaches are from the antibiotics or what, but whatever it is, it hurts going in. I hope this works.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.