Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Treatments

What was your treatment for cellulitis?

Published: June 20

Recently, I noticed that my knee was starting to hurt. By Tuesday, it got worse and continued to swell and be tender and hot to touch. I was having chills and feeling sick as the week ended. I finally couldn't walk; I was in so much pain. I went in to my doctor, and he told me I had to go to the hospital right away! He even told me I might lose my leg. I went right in to the emergency room. I spent a whole week in the hospital before I was released. My body was pumped with antibiotics. I was told I had cellulitis and bursitis. Since being home, I am on 2,900 mg a day of antibiotics. My knee is still red and sore, and my ankle is still swollen. I am almost out of my meds with no refill. I am going back to the emergency room to make sure I am OK. This is no joke. I don't ever want to go through this again! It's very hard to get rid of. I am still fatigued.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 12

My husband has had 5 bouts with cellulitus and/or Shingles. Some doctors had different opinions. It started with temp, chills, lightly red area between waist and buttocks. Treatments have varied first and second times a fairly large blister developed. I was hospitalized for a week or so on high doses of antibiotics. The third time he received high dose antibiotics at the emergency room within a few hours of symptoms starting and was sent home with antibiotic, anti viral and Prednisone. No blister formed and he was fine in 3 days. 4th time the doctor waffled about what it was. Admitted him and started high dose antibiotics, no anti viral or Prednisone. He was in the hospital a week and had an open wound about 5 inches tall and about 10 inches long. 5th time he received high dose antibiotic at emergency room, sent home with anti viral and Prednisone, no blister and cleared in a few days. Getting in quickly and beginning the 3 drugs quickly seems to be key to avoid bigger problems. Note, he has congestive heart problems and diabetes. No wound in area when it starts.

Comment from: Suitcasey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I have cellulitis in my baby toe on my left foot. It started 6 days ago with my toe really hurting and continuing to get worse for a few days. I couldn't see anything when I looked at it. No bite, no marks etc. and I had not injured it. By the 3rd day I woke up to a very red and swollen toe and a lot of pain. It continued to worsen so I finally saw my doctor yesterday and he diagnosed cellulitis and started me on antibiotics (ciprofloxacin) for 7 days as well as Tylenol 3 for pain. I'm surprised at how painful it is as I can't even put my shoe on and I have a high pain threshold. I've never had anything like this before and my doctor could not see any break in the skin on my toe so is uncertain how I got it.

Comment from: Victoria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

The most effective treatment I have found for my bouts of cellulitis is the drug Biaxin or Biaxin XL. I have had a few bouts of cellulitis with no obvious cause. I was even hospitalized once for seven days on Keflex by IV. It was not effective for me and I continued with four additional oral prescriptions before it was under control. Biaxin begins to start the decrease of redness and swelling on the second day of treatment for me. I now ask my doctor for this antibiotic if cellulitis is suspected.

Comment from: Greg, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I first had a small itch on my chest anterior wall that I scratched. Within 4hours it was very warm and inflamed and developed a black crust at the centre. Within 12 hours it was extremely painful and I had a temp of 103.1 with cold sweats and shivers. When to the doctor next morning and I was put straight into hospital. Initially I was treated with IV antibiotics every 6 hours but due to allergic to penicillin it made treatment very difficult. Within 24 hours it had spread across entire left side of chest around under arm with area turning dark purple. Additional antibiotic of lycamiacin was given and by 72 hours infection had stopped spreading but a large abscess about 150x200 had formed in chest muscle. Had the site been surgically opened, cleaned and dead tissue removed at 120 hours it would have been okay. I spent 7 days total in hospital continually on IV antibiotics. Now on oral Keflex 500mg every 6 hours with a large hole still in chest after 14 days that needs constant repacking and cleaning. Doctors have told me it will take several weeks for the wound to fully heal.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

Mine started from a cat scratch but there was MRSA in the house also. It started as a round, and very tender to the touch, spot that felt like liquid underneath almost like a big blister. It enlarged and became very painful and also spread to the other leg. It made sort of a line and proceeded to move slowly around my calf and feet. Doc threw every antibiotic he could at it to the point that my stomach felt raw. They would slow it down for a day or two for each different antibiotic but then went back to full throttle. I was in very much pain so I finally went to hospital and was admitted and they put two IV's in and ran antibiotics into me plus other stuff. It finally stopped but had spread all the way around my lower legs. It damaged my skin and nerves to the point that I can no longer stay on them very long. The pain is like someone stabbing you, all over the lower legs and feet, with ice picks. After surgeons looking and other specialists, there is nothing that can be done to stop the pain. Cold weather makes it extremely worse. If you get this, go to hospital and have it taken care of asap. After the fluid feeling red spot passed over, it left a mess of my legs. Because I trusted the doc I now have to deal with the pain and ugliness for the rest of my life.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.