Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Treatments

What was your treatment for cellulitis?

Comment from: MLPNY, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 04

My husband's cellulitis was treated for weeks with numerous antibiotics, none of which worked to cure the infection. He saw an infectious disease doctor who put him on plain penicillin - that is the only thing that worked. His infection was gone in 2 days!

Comment from: katie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had the flu with temperatures of 104 + for two days; and lower temperatures on other days. After getting over the flu I noticed a couple of reddish places on my knee and side of my leg. It started getting bigger so I went to the doctor. He first gave me an ointment which didn"t work. Then two doctors looked at it and immediately sent me for outpatient intravenous injection of the new antibiotic, Cubicin for 4 days. Then I was given oral antibiotics for a week. The intravenous injection was amazing! I am doing well and have learned so much. I had never heard of this cellulitis.

Comment from: Eltorow, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

My treatment for cellulitis was as follows. After I was admitted to the hospital, I was put on antibiotic drips with Augmentin and Ciprobay. My skin lesions and infection continued for three to four days even after the IV. I oozed yellowish liquid from my skin and wounds. The doctor said it's serum but I just don't know. I had my right leg, ankle and calf cleaned and dressed twice a day. It was extremely painful cleaning the surrounding skin, etc. I had to take Oxycontin to get some relief. After nine days my condition improved enough for me to be discharged.

Comment from: SeniorCellulitis, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 14

My mom was in the hospital for 17 days for bronchitis and was released. Her legs were still swollen and within a week started to turn red, tender to the touch and she could barely walk on her feet. The doctor prescribed an antibiotic and gave her Lasix for the swelling. Two days later she was admitted to the hospital for cellulitis. It is important to listen to the patient and monitor progress. She needed hospital intravenous antibiotics. The pills didn't work. Thank goodness we went to the emergency room.

Comment from: Lorilee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

My tinnitus sounds like standing next to a tree that is full of a thousand birds chirping. I also have hearing sensitivity to average to loud noises.

Comment from: Evamarie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

See your primary doctor as soon as possible. I went to her, and she sent for some blood work. It so happened that my white cells were low and the spleen was enlarged and it was not going through. Yesterday I went to the hospital. The doctor told me I have cellulitis. She referred me to a hematologist and he will make the decision of sending me to a surgeon, to remove spleen. Good luck.

Comment from: DeeCee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I got cellulitis. Three months ago, I had ingrown hair and spent a week in the hospital. I had 2 rounds of antibiotics from the primary care physician. The area still has pain and if I am on my feet the area where it seems to have 'settled' swells. This is an awfully painful infection and I really don't think we fully recover from it. I would love to hear from patients that had it years ago and it didn't return, but it seems that's not the case.

Comment from: mb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

Bactrim was my treatment for cellulitis, nothing else will touch it.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.