Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Treatments

What was your treatment for cellulitis?

Comment from: noglassslippers, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am diabetic and have been undergoing skin grafts for a deep crack in my foot. The day after my very last visit to wound center, I developed chills and low-grade temperature. My ankle became hot and red and painful. My doctor diagnosed it as cellulitis and put me on 10 days of Keflex. It is starting to improve. I'm keeping a close watch on the "hot spot" and staying off my foot as much as possible.

Comment from: Mike43, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

Two weeks ago a known dog bit me on my lower leg (calf muscle). I did not go to the hospital that day, and the dog bite (4 punctures) started to get swollen and painful. After two days, I went to my doctor and was diagnosed with Cellulitis, and prescribed Augmentin 800mg/twice a day. After a few days, this did not work, and my doctor changed it to Bactrin 1g/12 hours. Meanwhile, the wound got bigger, with the whole calf red, painful, with smelly discharge leaking down my bandages. Now after two weeks, I'm out of medicine, the wound got smaller but still leaks yellow matter, it looks like doctors don't learn anything in school nowadays about this prehistoric illness. I am very disappointed of all my doctors and their care!

Comment from: trace, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

Was going for my Saturday morning 30k run. Car was speeding, lost control, veered right at me. I don't know how, but I survived and ended up in the bush with a badly cut knee. 2 massive gashes. Being stubborn and obviously in shock, I refused to go to hospital and kept running. By the end, very sore and went to hospital. Treated with intravenous antibiotics, and oral, cleaned and around 25-30 stitches all up, some inside some outside. By the Mon. huge pain, back to hospital to be admitted. Hot, sick, headaches like never before and just rotten. Got transferred to a public hospital, left in waiting room for 4hrs sweating and feeling awful then more antibiotics. Also the diagnosis. I cannot believe it as I am so healthy and fit and now can't run and it isn't healing as it should. Not sure if the headaches are from the antibiotics or what, but whatever it is, it hurts going in. I hope this works.

Comment from: Tony, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

No swelling, but slight redness with a few darker spots, tightness of ankle, a very tender sole as if walking on hot coals. On and off foot numb. Possibly developed from angioplasty, which also seems to have been a failure. Not sure if this is cellulitis, but still lots of pain and antibiotics stopped after seven days. Now on Lyrica Pregabalin which does not as yet seem to have kicked in - only been on for two days.

Comment from: cej517, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I went to the beach yesterday and was bitten by a horse fly. It burned and itched at first. 6 hours later my thigh was red, hot and very swollen. I had to work today and drew a line around the inflammation to see if it had spread, of course it did. My doctor has put me on Cephalexin. Hopefully this will work. I have to take 2000 MG a day for 7 days.

Comment from: sweet, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I started having chills in the afternoon and feeling real bad. I was at a cookout and left there feeling cold and nauseated. I went to bed and woke up early the next morning with fever and I was soaking wet with sweat. I stayed in bed all day sleeping off and on with fever and loss of appetite, my left thigh and leg were sore but I didn't notice anything, I drank hot tea and apple juice and Gatorade. On the 3rd day I was feeling worse and noticed my left leg was swollen, red and hot to touch and very painful especially around my ankle. I went to ER and was given IV antibiotics numerous test including ultrasound for blood clots, I had no high temperature but my WBC was 2300 which meant I had inflammation. The ultrasound was negative I was sent home with pain meds, oral antibiotics and given instructions to keep leg elevated as much as possible and two days off of work. Well I went back to work and my leg got bigger, red and hurt to touch and walk I called my doctor and they told me to go back to ER. I did but they said give it a day or two for the antibiotics to work and elevate. This is something I would want my worst enemy to deal with, it is not a joke. My legs are still swollen and sore around ankles; I elevate them much as possible and have been off work three and half weeks. I was put on antibiotics again but I still have same symptoms. If it is not better in a week or so my doctor is considering IV antibiotics at home.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.