Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Infection

Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.

Comment from: Greenie, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 24

My husband had a pimple on his nose and two days later his face all got red hard and swollen. He took antibiotics for a day, but no change. He is in hospital on IV antibiotics for cellulitis, been on it a day and no change yet.

Comment from: MAN WTF, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I am not sure how I contracted cellulitis. I felt a small lump in my groin and thought I had an inguinal hernia. A few days later the pain increased and my skin from my pelvis to my penis started bubbling and swelling. I went to the emergency room. While at the emergency room I noticed I had a pimple like bump on the underside of my penis. I wondered if it was spider bite but the doctor said it was not likely. I also work in a hospital so may have got it from a bathroom in the hospital. Blood work came back fine and so did urine. I started antibiotic treatments and began to get bad headaches, fevers and chills. Five days into the antibiotics I got a rash on my upper body and went into the emergency room and got an IV. No more symptoms after this visit and I stopped antibiotics.

Comment from: nosey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had what I thought was an ingrown hair just inside my nose and it was a little sore. Two days later my nose started swelling and the pain was so bad that I could not touch my nose. By the third day I developed a redness on the outside of my nose and swelling all over that side of my face. I went to the doctor who told me it was cellulitis and gave me a shot of antibiotics and sent me away with 2 prescriptions for more antibiotics. On day 5, yet another antibiotic and the swelling is starting to go down, but the redness is getting worse. I am seriously worried now.

Comment from: worried girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

My experience with cellulitis is that the onset is quite unexpected. My body will start to ache like with flu like symptoms; then I would start to get the cold chills; and then a very high temperature like 101 to 104 or more. My leg will then start to swell and get very hot; and then red blotches would form through my leg. The pain is almost unbearable.

Comment from: Joanne - Jarvis, 55-64 (Patient) Published: September 15

I was bitten by a brown recluse spider on my right ankle. I underwent vascular surgery and 6 months of VNA (visiting nurse association) nurses in my home, dressing the wound and administering treatment. One year went by and it is hardly bearable to put on foot wear. Within 3 months the wound opened up again and I had hospital wound care and started bandaging myself. Now, 3 years have passed and my foot is so swollen and painful and I know not what to do. Antibiotics did not work. I feel I need a drainage for cellulitis, yet the doctor only says that the necrotic wound is healing. He stated I only need regular bandages and off I go. I am up all night with shooting pain up my leg and it is so difficult to even rest my ankle on the bed to sleep. I am so weary of this painful and frightening experience. Even my friend's parents will not allow me in their pool and I am not contagious.

Comment from: michaelmc, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I developed cellulitis in my left knee and there was no open wound anywhere around the infected area. After two days I could hardly walk.

Comment from: billybob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I have a red rash from cellulitis. It feels like a lot of pressure on my right leg.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?