Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Infection

Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.

Comment from: Pattycake, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I was in a mosquito infected area and got bitten. About a day later I noticed my right leg felt painful to the touch. After two days I couldn't walk or even touch my leg. It was swollen and discolored with cellulitis. I spent a few days in the hospital under large dosages of pain medication and antibiotics.

Comment from: DeannlackDebra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

Three weeks prior I felt like I may have had a sliver or splinter but it was so very small I never saw it. It was on the end of my elbow. At first it swelled a little and I tried to see why but couldn't see anything. When I finally went to the doctor my elbow and entire forearm were 3 times the right size, and it was warm to the touch. My primary told me to go to the emergency room. They did an x-ray and 2 different sonograms and they saw an abscess and a large part of my arm cobblestone infected meaning little bubbles deeps in the skin. They drained the large one and put me on IV antibiotics for 12 hours in the hospital. They sent me home with 3 more different antibiotics. Glad I went!

Comment from: Greenie, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 24

My husband had a pimple on his nose and two days later his face all got red hard and swollen. He took antibiotics for a day, but no change. He is in hospital on IV antibiotics for cellulitis, been on it a day and no change yet.

Comment from: MAN WTF, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I am not sure how I contracted cellulitis. I felt a small lump in my groin and thought I had an inguinal hernia. A few days later the pain increased and my skin from my pelvis to my penis started bubbling and swelling. I went to the emergency room. While at the emergency room I noticed I had a pimple like bump on the underside of my penis. I wondered if it was spider bite but the doctor said it was not likely. I also work in a hospital so may have got it from a bathroom in the hospital. Blood work came back fine and so did urine. I started antibiotic treatments and began to get bad headaches, fevers and chills. Five days into the antibiotics I got a rash on my upper body and went into the emergency room and got an IV. No more symptoms after this visit and I stopped antibiotics.

Comment from: nosey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had what I thought was an ingrown hair just inside my nose and it was a little sore. Two days later my nose started swelling and the pain was so bad that I could not touch my nose. By the third day I developed a redness on the outside of my nose and swelling all over that side of my face. I went to the doctor who told me it was cellulitis and gave me a shot of antibiotics and sent me away with 2 prescriptions for more antibiotics. On day 5, yet another antibiotic and the swelling is starting to go down, but the redness is getting worse. I am seriously worried now.

Comment from: michaelmc, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I developed cellulitis in my left knee and there was no open wound anywhere around the infected area. After two days I could hardly walk.

Comment from: worried girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

My experience with cellulitis is that the onset is quite unexpected. My body will start to ache like with flu like symptoms; then I would start to get the cold chills; and then a very high temperature like 101 to 104 or more. My leg will then start to swell and get very hot; and then red blotches would form through my leg. The pain is almost unbearable.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?