Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Infection

Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.

Comment from: Heather, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I woke up one day with 3 small bumps in a row under my left nipple, at first they looked like pimples. They went from small to the largest being on the edge of the nipple. It was so painful to the touch and inflamed. It kept my nipple hard and swollen at all times. I tried everything from Epsom salts to triple antibiotic ointment, drawing salves, and hot baths and heating pads. I had some Bactrim DS 800/160 mg and took it for 3 days and I was still in pain and miserable, needless to say I felt totally drained. I finally said I can't handle this pain anymore. That night I went to the hospital my whole left breast was extremely red and inflamed. They prescribed me clindamycin 300 mg 3 times a day for 10 days and Lortab 7.5 for the pain and to help with the swelling. The strain of cellulitis that I contracted somehow was the staphylococcus version of it. I am now on my second day of antibiotics and it is helping a lot. I actually felt half human today rather than just constantly sleeping and crying. Hopefully this takes care of it but I am still following up with the breast specialist to be on the safe side.

Comment from: hardyparty, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 07

The cellulitis infection started with swollen foot, black spots on toes and then skin inflamed. Skin would just disappear and open wounds that would never heal. It was painful to walk or touch. I kept bandages on the foot with Bactrim. Three emergency room visits and numerous doctors and MRI, I was gout/diabetes negative. Finally I had cellulitis diagnosis. Steroids almost cleared it with heavy antibiotics but it is now getting worse and I'm back to the doctor for help. Cold and wet weather seems to make worse.

Comment from: Nawas, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a cut in my left foot, not exactly sure how it had happened. As a moved to a hostel with this small cut and slightly swollen leg, my foot's condition just worsened day by day. Finally fifth day I went to a doctor where I was diagnosed with cellulitis and doubts about vasculitis. I returned to my native place to receive proper treatment. I was admitted for 15 days to receive proper antibiotics. This bacteria had already infected my left lung. The ulcer on my foot had blocked all the veins in my left foot. But what all the doctors were stunned in my case was with my age. I was just 18 when this happened to me. I'm 20 now and wonder whether I'm in risk of developing it again.

Comment from: llmc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

My cellulitis started at my wrist. I had no wounds, at first I thought I had sprained it, did not know how; maybe in my sleep I bumped it? By the end of the day I could not use my hand or wrist, the pain was bad but aspirin seemed to make it not ache unless I tried to use my hand. The next day my hand was worse but I also had a cold. After three days of over the counter pain relievers, Aleve, Ibuprofen and aspirin, my cold was better but the pain in my wrist and now hand was constant and debilitating. I had no health insurance, was not working, so I kept thinking it would get better. My wrist after a day had a swollen spot on the inside. Slowly my fingers began to swell and then my whole hand and fingers swelled and were very painful and I could not move my fingers. After 9 days I could not stand the pain anymore, I went to the emergency room. I was admitted and given 2 kinds of IV antibiotics and morphine for the pain, I was there for 5 days. The swelling went down but it still hurt to use my hand and wrist. I was given a weeks' worth of antibiotics and took them like clockwork. Pain is still apparent when I use my wrist and or fingers, I have been out of the hospital for 10 days and I am starting another seven days of antibiotics (clindamycin) and today I am have large areas on my hand that the top layer of skin is blistered up and seems to want to slough off. I hope this is normal we will see.

Comment from: mike d, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

The cellulitis infection started out as dry nasal passages, possibly a mild sinus infection on left side of nose on Wednesday. On Thursday morning the right side of my face was swollen and red. That night I went to the emergency room and $700 later the doctor said sinus infection. On Monday morning I got in to the primary care and was diagnosed with cellulitis and given amoxcillin. It has still not cleared up.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?