Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Infection

Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.

Comment from: worried girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

My experience with cellulitis is that the onset is quite unexpected. My body will start to ache like with flu like symptoms; then I would start to get the cold chills; and then a very high temperature like 101 to 104 or more. My leg will then start to swell and get very hot; and then red blotches would form through my leg. The pain is almost unbearable.

Comment from: Joanne - Jarvis, 55-64 (Patient) Published: September 15

I was bitten by a brown recluse spider on my right ankle. I underwent vascular surgery and 6 months of VNA (visiting nurse association) nurses in my home, dressing the wound and administering treatment. One year went by and it is hardly bearable to put on foot wear. Within 3 months the wound opened up again and I had hospital wound care and started bandaging myself. Now, 3 years have passed and my foot is so swollen and painful and I know not what to do. Antibiotics did not work. I feel I need a drainage for cellulitis, yet the doctor only says that the necrotic wound is healing. He stated I only need regular bandages and off I go. I am up all night with shooting pain up my leg and it is so difficult to even rest my ankle on the bed to sleep. I am so weary of this painful and frightening experience. Even my friend's parents will not allow me in their pool and I am not contagious.

Comment from: Marie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I was diagnosed with cellulitis after the inner parts of both my shins showed extreme red patches. The doctor gave me a steroid cream plus an antibiotic to take for 10 days. I still feel pain in the left shin although all the redness is gone.

Comment from: chanaz, 35-44 (Patient) Published: May 14

The area of cellulitis infection was the left side of my belly button all the way to pelvic area and was spreading fast, moving to my back. It was the most awful pain I have experienced, hot, cold, high temperatures, had loss of appetite, dry mouth, and felt I was dying. I couldn't do anything and was rushed to Accident and Emergency. I was also nauseous and tired.

Comment from: jordanjunction@yahoo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I started with a boil on my bottom. With medication it dried up and disappeared. Within a week I had a problem with my nose. During the previous two weeks I had a serious cold with a bad runny nose. The nose tip developed a rosy red color that would have made Santa proud. I hated it, plus it became so sore I couldn't touch it. The red spread down to my lip and up under my eyes. Then it stretched across my face so I looked like a raccoon in red. I spent 4 days in the hospital on 4 different antibiotics through the IV. The doctors called it a staph infection. That all cleared up after a matter of time. Now it's been close to a month past and I have a rash on both legs that has raised etching type lines. My daughter in law insisted it was ring worm. There are no rings. My doctor said it was cellulitis and I am now taking a prescription for it. I am losing feeling to my feet and have been told I drag my feet as I walk. I am diabetic and my sugars are running in the five hundreds. Since Christmas I have spent almost every day in bed sleeping. I am so lethargic I feel like I could stay in bed forever.

Comment from: Gilda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

If you use, as a diabetic, mupirocin and the antibiotic cephalexin, cellulitis will disappear and I mean all of it. Keep this ointment or cream handy.

Comment from: Gailjlawrence, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I had dental surgery in April and two months later I developed cellulitis in my mouth. My dental implant came out followed by lots of pus where the implant was. My dentist put me on an antibiotics, and it cleared up in a few days only to return two weeks later. I went to my doctor, who put me on an antibiotic injection and an oral antibiotic. It is very painful in your face.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?