Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Infection

Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.

Comment from: Grammy1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I got cellulitis two months ago. Out of nowhere, I became chilled, my body ached, and I had a fever. I thought I was getting the flu but it happened so quickly. I went to bed and slept for 24 hours until my daughters said something must be wrong. They checked my legs and my left leg down by my ankle was red and warm to the touch. I was so out of it, I could barely walk and had severe pain in my leg. I went to the ER and was admitted to the hospital, where I received an IV with antibiotics. Within four days, my legs were red, swollen to the knee, with lots of blisters and pus pockets. Fortunately, I had a wonderful surgeon who intervened, took me to the OR and debrided my leg. He scraped all the blisters and pus pockets off, and cut two incisions in my leg to release the infection. I had it wrapped with gauze and an ace bandage. The dressing was changed every day. I was in the hospital for three weeks and was on two different antibiotics. It has been four weeks since I've been home. My leg is healing wonderfully. However, I wish I had gone directly to the ER when I started feeling ill. I may have saved myself from getting such a severe case of cellulitis.

Comment from: Gilda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

If you use, as a diabetic, mupirocin and the antibiotic cephalexin, cellulitis will disappear and I mean all of it. Keep this ointment or cream handy.

Comment from: gzhea42, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have cellulitis in my arms and this is the third break out in a month.

Comment from: Laverne, 65-74 (Patient) Published: January 03

I had cellulitis infection following colon resectioning in 2010. Now I have it again after a breast lumpectomy in October 2013.

Published: August 08

I believe in super-natural healing so going to doctors is rare for me. I had fever and swelling in my legs for longer than I even remember. A nurse friend told me I needed to go to a doctor; I went, two years and 3 months ago. I was given antibiotics which seemed to dry up the infection and turn my legs into elephant legs. Two months ago I went back to the doctor I was given 2 antibiotics but it didn't help. I was given wound gel I think it's helping but I'm also praying. I want and need a miracle!!! I'm claiming it and when it's manifested I'll write all about it. I'm in severe pain right now. I've taken Extra strength Excedrin and Aleve but it still hurts.

Comment from: marianne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I Want To Die! I can't stand the PAIN the itchiness. Nothing has helped, I have been to the er 5 times in 3 months. I do have eczema and psoriasis. I have thyroid problems, I have diabetes (or was told so). I can't take it. I was just in the ER and was on an IV for 1 day, they diagnosed me, but let me go due to no insurance! I have to use a walker, I feel like a recluse. I would never not take care of my self but because I am homeless and no job due to this ailment I get swept under a rug! I need help.

Comment from: justjen7504, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I was cleaning my basement after water had gotten in and I was wearing flip flops. The next morning I woke up and my left foot was red, swollen and hurt very bad to walk. I made an appointment and the Dr said it was cellulitis so I was put on oral meds for a week where it continued to get worse and much more painful, I wasn't responding to the meds so I was hospitalized for almost 2 weeks with IV meds. The cellulitis went halfway up my leg before it started to get better and finally went away. I was sent home for a month then the infection came back, I was hospitalized again and finally given another drug that worked well. Its been 5 years and I have not gotten it back however I get tingling, and sometimes itchy feelings once and awhile. I am careful to keep my feet clean and dry to prevent this from happening again.

Comment from: Paulina, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

One morning, I stubbed my toe -- not very hard. I thought nothing of it, but 30 minutes later, my whole foot and ankle area had turned black and blue. Since I have diabetes, I know I have to take care of my feet. So the next morning I was off to the doctor. I was surprised when he prescribed antibiotics because I thought it was a bruise. I had never heard of cellulitis. The antibiotics cleared it up within a couple of days. I have good control of my diabetes, and I was a bit shocked to see how easily things could go wrong though.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?