Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Infection

Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.

Comment from: Baconknightt, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 16

I was 18 years old, and in the U.S. Marine Corps boot camp. Normally the drill instructors bemoan people who go to sick call, as they see a few recruits who abuse the privilege. So, I avoided going for little aches and pains. During the field training, I thought I bent my middle finger. It was starting to hurt, swell up, and became almost impossible to bear. After three days of trying to put up and tough it out, it wasn't working. I had mentioned it to one drill instructor who essentially told me to "go away" and quit complaining about small stuff. Two days after that, I was passing out and having blackouts with flashing white lights. I couldn't move fast, and I was in constant pain. Finally, I asked another drill instructor to see the corpsman. As soon as I described to him what was wrong, he rolled up my sleeve and looked at my hand. He pointed out the red lines that went all the way up to my armpit. At that point, he yelled at the series chief drill instructor what he saw. I didn't even know what cellulitis was. Immediately, I was thrown on a Humvee and taken to the battalion aid station at the main part of the camp. There, several corpsmen were being brought in to look -- one to get their opinion, and secondly, to show what a huge infection it was. The doctor told me as I was going into surgery that I may lose the finger. I didn't, but my use of the hand has been altered forever. I've since had three more surgeries on the hand to try and repair motion. That was 20 years ago. It still hurts to this day.

Comment from: Jim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I am going through the worst case of cellulitis that the doctors rate as bad as they have seen! My entire right foot and leg nearly up to my knee had horrendous growths, swollen 4 times original, and ended with various sizes of yellow and black lumps! I was on intravenous antibiotics for 2 weeks, and now continue daily oral tablet intake! I would never wish this on my worst enemies! Horrendous best describes it all!

Comment from: crystaltc, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had MRSA in my lungs when I was in labor. After they treated it though I seem to get cellulitis often and I am about to go back to the hospital for it again. I had to have a bursectomy done because it was so bad in my knee that antibiotics wouldn"t treat it, and had a 2 week stay in the hospital when it got in my eye area and swelled them shut, which I fear is happening again. Fingers crossed that the doctor gives me oral antibiotics and my eyes don"t swell shut again. It's not an easy condition to deal with!

Comment from: janebaguette, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have lost count of my attacks of cellulitis. Since the age of 14, I developed a leg swelling problem which the doctors said was chronic, what followed was these attacks on one leg then the other. This would happen after a month or two. Now I know the symptoms and I always carry antibiotics in my bag. I am 30 years now and as I write this I have cellulitis on my left arm.

Comment from: jules1234, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was treated in the emergency room four weeks ago for cellulitis and given a pack of antibiotics. My legs were reduced in swelling redness and warmth in three days. I returned to my primary doctor seven days later and my symptoms were in only left leg. Once again I got a Z-pack and got better. Now for the last week my left leg is swollen, red-hot, and my knee is extremely swollen. When I stay in bed with legs elevated for 10-18 hours all is well.

Comment from: traillady1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I sometimes feel some pain where my big toe meets my foot due to previous surgery years ago. A few days ago, I fell. I noticed a couple of small bruises on my big toe. I thought nothing of it. When I went to bed that night, my entire toe was red, purple and black. I thought it might be a spider bite, then got online and realized it was probably not the case. I figured my toe was broken or jammed and went to the doctor. By then, my toe was bright red with black, and it was tender and warm to the touch. It had spread to about half my foot. X-rays were negative for a break or dislocation. The doctor diagnosed cellulitis and gave me a prescription for Keflex 500 mg, 3 times/day. By the next day, color was fading fast and the swelling had gone down. It continues to get better. I should have gone to the emergency instead of waiting!

Comment from: KTWPatient, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I was born with Klippel-Trenaunay-Weber syndrome which basically means I have an abnormal vascular and lymph system. All of my life, I have had numerous bouts of cellulitis, for which I am hospitalized with intravenous antibiotics. Most times when I get it, I get a mild fever, feel extremely lethargic, and have a red spot on my leg or arm about the size of a quarter. Within a few hours or less, the infection typically spreads rapidly up and down the affected extremity. In the last month, I have been hospitalized twice with cellulitis. Sometimes I get back-to-back infections, but I can also go several months or even years without a recurring infection. My infections are the result of edema and my abnormal vascular and lymph system. Bacteria get in and just cannot "flush" out.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?