Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Infection

Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.

Comment from: marianne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I Want To Die! I can't stand the PAIN the itchiness. Nothing has helped, I have been to the er 5 times in 3 months. I do have eczema and psoriasis. I have thyroid problems, I have diabetes (or was told so). I can't take it. I was just in the ER and was on an IV for 1 day, they diagnosed me, but let me go due to no insurance! I have to use a walker, I feel like a recluse. I would never not take care of my self but because I am homeless and no job due to this ailment I get swept under a rug! I need help.

Comment from: justjen7504, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I was cleaning my basement after water had gotten in and I was wearing flip flops. The next morning I woke up and my left foot was red, swollen and hurt very bad to walk. I made an appointment and the Dr said it was cellulitis so I was put on oral meds for a week where it continued to get worse and much more painful, I wasn't responding to the meds so I was hospitalized for almost 2 weeks with IV meds. The cellulitis went halfway up my leg before it started to get better and finally went away. I was sent home for a month then the infection came back, I was hospitalized again and finally given another drug that worked well. Its been 5 years and I have not gotten it back however I get tingling, and sometimes itchy feelings once and awhile. I am careful to keep my feet clean and dry to prevent this from happening again.

Comment from: Paulina, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

One morning, I stubbed my toe -- not very hard. I thought nothing of it, but 30 minutes later, my whole foot and ankle area had turned black and blue. Since I have diabetes, I know I have to take care of my feet. So the next morning I was off to the doctor. I was surprised when he prescribed antibiotics because I thought it was a bruise. I had never heard of cellulitis. The antibiotics cleared it up within a couple of days. I have good control of my diabetes, and I was a bit shocked to see how easily things could go wrong though.

Comment from: wiccancatlady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I've had cellulitis, before and was hospitalized. Now I have it again, but I've already had antibiotics for another infection, but my leg is swollen,red, and itches really bad, and I feel like little like blisters on the red area.

Comment from: Gary, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

I've had cellulitis twice now in the past 10 years, with the latest being four months ago. I had an ear infection that just got worse after seeing the doctor and taking medication. My ear swelled up like a cauliflower and was on antibiotics in the hospital. Luckily, I demanded to see another doctor, who changed my antibiotics and gave me morphine to handle the pain and put a wick in my ear to get in some ointment. I was in the hospital for four days and a week off work.

Comment from: Helen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I started with a sore leg over five weeks ago. It wasn't too bad to begin with and I figured it was related to my fibromyalgia. But it began to get red, hot and swollen, and the pain got worse. I was scared it might be deep venous thrombosis (DVT). My doctor saw me and diagnosed cellulitis. I was given two different antibiotics to take over two weeks. I saw the GP again on the last day of the medication, and although it had faded a lot it hadn't gone away. The doctor said I didn't need any more medications and it would continue to heal. Within two days it was back and worse than before. I am now on another week of pills and have a fever, chills, a headache, and feel dreadful. Paracetamol works for my fever and headache, but both return once it wears off. I'm hoping this is the final week and it will be gone for good.

Comment from: GROUCHY...., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

Having this infection has been horrible. It started in my ankles and was bright red on both legs. It then proceeded to move up my legs and swell profusely at the same time. It has now spread and swollen to the top of my legs. It is very painful and sore. I went to a hospital with this over six weeks ago, but was sent home, none the wiser, and without antibiotics or pain relief. Hopefully, I can get the right treatment now that it has finally been diagnosed. I'm thankful for a doctor who takes the time to care.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?