Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Infection

Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.

Comment from: Nawas, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a cut in my left foot, not exactly sure how it had happened. As a moved to a hostel with this small cut and slightly swollen leg, my foot's condition just worsened day by day. Finally fifth day I went to a doctor where I was diagnosed with cellulitis and doubts about vasculitis. I returned to my native place to receive proper treatment. I was admitted for 15 days to receive proper antibiotics. This bacteria had already infected my left lung. The ulcer on my foot had blocked all the veins in my left foot. But what all the doctors were stunned in my case was with my age. I was just 18 when this happened to me. I'm 20 now and wonder whether I'm in risk of developing it again.

Comment from: llmc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

My cellulitis started at my wrist. I had no wounds, at first I thought I had sprained it, did not know how; maybe in my sleep I bumped it? By the end of the day I could not use my hand or wrist, the pain was bad but aspirin seemed to make it not ache unless I tried to use my hand. The next day my hand was worse but I also had a cold. After three days of over the counter pain relievers, Aleve, Ibuprofen and aspirin, my cold was better but the pain in my wrist and now hand was constant and debilitating. I had no health insurance, was not working, so I kept thinking it would get better. My wrist after a day had a swollen spot on the inside. Slowly my fingers began to swell and then my whole hand and fingers swelled and were very painful and I could not move my fingers. After 9 days I could not stand the pain anymore, I went to the emergency room. I was admitted and given 2 kinds of IV antibiotics and morphine for the pain, I was there for 5 days. The swelling went down but it still hurt to use my hand and wrist. I was given a weeks' worth of antibiotics and took them like clockwork. Pain is still apparent when I use my wrist and or fingers, I have been out of the hospital for 10 days and I am starting another seven days of antibiotics (clindamycin) and today I am have large areas on my hand that the top layer of skin is blistered up and seems to want to slough off. I hope this is normal we will see.

Comment from: mike d, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

The cellulitis infection started out as dry nasal passages, possibly a mild sinus infection on left side of nose on Wednesday. On Thursday morning the right side of my face was swollen and red. That night I went to the emergency room and $700 later the doctor said sinus infection. On Monday morning I got in to the primary care and was diagnosed with cellulitis and given amoxcillin. It has still not cleared up.

Comment from: AliKate, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My cat bit me pretty badly while I was grooming her. She is an indoor cat and is up to date on her shots, so although I was bleeding a lot and it hurt, I just let it bleed a little, cleaned it up with peroxide and applied triple antibiotic ointment. The next morning my palm was swollen and I could hardly move my thumb. There was a red patch extending onto my wrist. I figured it was going to feel worse before it got better, but 4 hours later the red patch was a lot bigger and tapered off at the middle of the inside of my forearm, and then started following my vein in a straight line towards the inside of my elbow. It hurt to touch any part of the redness, like I was pressing on a bruise. It also felt warm to the touch and I had a slight fever. I went to the Emergency Room and found out it was cellulitis. They gave me two very strong antibiotics to take orally and said to take probiotics with them so they don't wreck my insides too much. I'm on the third day of antibiotics now. My arm still hurts where the redness was although it's no longer red, more of a light pink. I have a follow up doctor appointment today.

Comment from: Scab leg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a slight fever Thursday night and by Friday night I was delirious and my right leg was all red and swollen. I developed a fever of 105 and was delirious for three days. In the hospital where I woke up, I had a swollen blistered leg filled with water. I received 20 types of antibiotics in my neck for 9 more days. Then the blisters scabbed over and are still healing after 3 weeks. I have to keep the foot elevated and change the dressings daily. I must have had a foot sore that was unseen but no one found it. Cellulitis is quite painful and something I hope to never get again.

Comment from: Baconknightt, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 16

I was 18 years old, and in the U.S. Marine Corps boot camp. Normally the drill instructors bemoan people who go to sick call, as they see a few recruits who abuse the privilege. So, I avoided going for little aches and pains. During the field training, I thought I bent my middle finger. It was starting to hurt, swell up, and became almost impossible to bear. After three days of trying to put up and tough it out, it wasn't working. I had mentioned it to one drill instructor who essentially told me to "go away" and quit complaining about small stuff. Two days after that, I was passing out and having blackouts with flashing white lights. I couldn't move fast, and I was in constant pain. Finally, I asked another drill instructor to see the corpsman. As soon as I described to him what was wrong, he rolled up my sleeve and looked at my hand. He pointed out the red lines that went all the way up to my armpit. At that point, he yelled at the series chief drill instructor what he saw. I didn't even know what cellulitis was. Immediately, I was thrown on a Humvee and taken to the battalion aid station at the main part of the camp. There, several corpsmen were being brought in to look -- one to get their opinion, and secondly, to show what a huge infection it was. The doctor told me as I was going into surgery that I may lose the finger. I didn't, but my use of the hand has been altered forever. I've since had three more surgeries on the hand to try and repair motion. That was 20 years ago. It still hurts to this day.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?