Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Infection

Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.

Comment from: jules1234, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was treated in the emergency room four weeks ago for cellulitis and given a pack of antibiotics. My legs were reduced in swelling redness and warmth in three days. I returned to my primary doctor seven days later and my symptoms were in only left leg. Once again I got a Z-pack and got better. Now for the last week my left leg is swollen, red-hot, and my knee is extremely swollen. When I stay in bed with legs elevated for 10-18 hours all is well.

Comment from: traillady1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I sometimes feel some pain where my big toe meets my foot due to previous surgery years ago. A few days ago, I fell. I noticed a couple of small bruises on my big toe. I thought nothing of it. When I went to bed that night, my entire toe was red, purple and black. I thought it might be a spider bite, then got online and realized it was probably not the case. I figured my toe was broken or jammed and went to the doctor. By then, my toe was bright red with black, and it was tender and warm to the touch. It had spread to about half my foot. X-rays were negative for a break or dislocation. The doctor diagnosed cellulitis and gave me a prescription for Keflex 500 mg, 3 times/day. By the next day, color was fading fast and the swelling had gone down. It continues to get better. I should have gone to the emergency instead of waiting!

Comment from: KTWPatient, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I was born with Klippel-Trenaunay-Weber syndrome which basically means I have an abnormal vascular and lymph system. All of my life, I have had numerous bouts of cellulitis, for which I am hospitalized with intravenous antibiotics. Most times when I get it, I get a mild fever, feel extremely lethargic, and have a red spot on my leg or arm about the size of a quarter. Within a few hours or less, the infection typically spreads rapidly up and down the affected extremity. In the last month, I have been hospitalized twice with cellulitis. Sometimes I get back-to-back infections, but I can also go several months or even years without a recurring infection. My infections are the result of edema and my abnormal vascular and lymph system. Bacteria get in and just cannot "flush" out.

Comment from: Grammy1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I got cellulitis two months ago. Out of nowhere, I became chilled, my body ached, and I had a fever. I thought I was getting the flu but it happened so quickly. I went to bed and slept for 24 hours until my daughters said something must be wrong. They checked my legs and my left leg down by my ankle was red and warm to the touch. I was so out of it, I could barely walk and had severe pain in my leg. I went to the ER and was admitted to the hospital, where I received an IV with antibiotics. Within four days, my legs were red, swollen to the knee, with lots of blisters and pus pockets. Fortunately, I had a wonderful surgeon who intervened, took me to the OR and debrided my leg. He scraped all the blisters and pus pockets off, and cut two incisions in my leg to release the infection. I had it wrapped with gauze and an ace bandage. The dressing was changed every day. I was in the hospital for three weeks and was on two different antibiotics. It has been four weeks since I've been home. My leg is healing wonderfully. However, I wish I had gone directly to the ER when I started feeling ill. I may have saved myself from getting such a severe case of cellulitis.

Comment from: Laverne, 65-74 (Patient) Published: January 03

I had cellulitis infection following colon resectioning in 2010. Now I have it again after a breast lumpectomy in October 2013.

Published: August 08

I believe in super-natural healing so going to doctors is rare for me. I had fever and swelling in my legs for longer than I even remember. A nurse friend told me I needed to go to a doctor; I went, two years and 3 months ago. I was given antibiotics which seemed to dry up the infection and turn my legs into elephant legs. Two months ago I went back to the doctor I was given 2 antibiotics but it didn't help. I was given wound gel I think it's helping but I'm also praying. I want and need a miracle!!! I'm claiming it and when it's manifested I'll write all about it. I'm in severe pain right now. I've taken Extra strength Excedrin and Aleve but it still hurts.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?