Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Infection

Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.

Comment from: Jim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I am going through the worst case of cellulitis that the doctors rate as bad as they have seen! My entire right foot and leg nearly up to my knee had horrendous growths, swollen 4 times original, and ended with various sizes of yellow and black lumps! I was on intravenous antibiotics for 2 weeks, and now continue daily oral tablet intake! I would never wish this on my worst enemies! Horrendous best describes it all!

Comment from: crystaltc, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had MRSA in my lungs when I was in labor. After they treated it though I seem to get cellulitis often and I am about to go back to the hospital for it again. I had to have a bursectomy done because it was so bad in my knee that antibiotics wouldn"t treat it, and had a 2 week stay in the hospital when it got in my eye area and swelled them shut, which I fear is happening again. Fingers crossed that the doctor gives me oral antibiotics and my eyes don"t swell shut again. It's not an easy condition to deal with!

Comment from: AliKate, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My cat bit me pretty badly while I was grooming her. She is an indoor cat and is up to date on her shots, so although I was bleeding a lot and it hurt, I just let it bleed a little, cleaned it up with peroxide and applied triple antibiotic ointment. The next morning my palm was swollen and I could hardly move my thumb. There was a red patch extending onto my wrist. I figured it was going to feel worse before it got better, but 4 hours later the red patch was a lot bigger and tapered off at the middle of the inside of my forearm, and then started following my vein in a straight line towards the inside of my elbow. It hurt to touch any part of the redness, like I was pressing on a bruise. It also felt warm to the touch and I had a slight fever. I went to the Emergency Room and found out it was cellulitis. They gave me two very strong antibiotics to take orally and said to take probiotics with them so they don't wreck my insides too much. I'm on the third day of antibiotics now. My arm still hurts where the redness was although it's no longer red, more of a light pink. I have a follow up doctor appointment today.

Comment from: Scab leg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a slight fever Thursday night and by Friday night I was delirious and my right leg was all red and swollen. I developed a fever of 105 and was delirious for three days. In the hospital where I woke up, I had a swollen blistered leg filled with water. I received 20 types of antibiotics in my neck for 9 more days. Then the blisters scabbed over and are still healing after 3 weeks. I have to keep the foot elevated and change the dressings daily. I must have had a foot sore that was unseen but no one found it. Cellulitis is quite painful and something I hope to never get again.

Comment from: Baconknightt, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 16

I was 18 years old, and in the U.S. Marine Corps boot camp. Normally the drill instructors bemoan people who go to sick call, as they see a few recruits who abuse the privilege. So, I avoided going for little aches and pains. During the field training, I thought I bent my middle finger. It was starting to hurt, swell up, and became almost impossible to bear. After three days of trying to put up and tough it out, it wasn't working. I had mentioned it to one drill instructor who essentially told me to "go away" and quit complaining about small stuff. Two days after that, I was passing out and having blackouts with flashing white lights. I couldn't move fast, and I was in constant pain. Finally, I asked another drill instructor to see the corpsman. As soon as I described to him what was wrong, he rolled up my sleeve and looked at my hand. He pointed out the red lines that went all the way up to my armpit. At that point, he yelled at the series chief drill instructor what he saw. I didn't even know what cellulitis was. Immediately, I was thrown on a Humvee and taken to the battalion aid station at the main part of the camp. There, several corpsmen were being brought in to look -- one to get their opinion, and secondly, to show what a huge infection it was. The doctor told me as I was going into surgery that I may lose the finger. I didn't, but my use of the hand has been altered forever. I've since had three more surgeries on the hand to try and repair motion. That was 20 years ago. It still hurts to this day.

Comment from: janebaguette, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have lost count of my attacks of cellulitis. Since the age of 14, I developed a leg swelling problem which the doctors said was chronic, what followed was these attacks on one leg then the other. This would happen after a month or two. Now I know the symptoms and I always carry antibiotics in my bag. I am 30 years now and as I write this I have cellulitis on my left arm.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?