Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Infection

Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.

Comment from: Marie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I was diagnosed with cellulitis after the inner parts of both my shins showed extreme red patches. The doctor gave me a steroid cream plus an antibiotic to take for 10 days. I still feel pain in the left shin although all the redness is gone.

Comment from: chanaz, 35-44 (Patient) Published: May 14

The area of cellulitis infection was the left side of my belly button all the way to pelvic area and was spreading fast, moving to my back. It was the most awful pain I have experienced, hot, cold, high temperatures, had loss of appetite, dry mouth, and felt I was dying. I couldn't do anything and was rushed to Accident and Emergency. I was also nauseous and tired.

Comment from: jordanjunction@yahoo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I started with a boil on my bottom. With medication it dried up and disappeared. Within a week I had a problem with my nose. During the previous two weeks I had a serious cold with a bad runny nose. The nose tip developed a rosy red color that would have made Santa proud. I hated it, plus it became so sore I couldn't touch it. The red spread down to my lip and up under my eyes. Then it stretched across my face so I looked like a raccoon in red. I spent 4 days in the hospital on 4 different antibiotics through the IV. The doctors called it a staph infection. That all cleared up after a matter of time. Now it's been close to a month past and I have a rash on both legs that has raised etching type lines. My daughter in law insisted it was ring worm. There are no rings. My doctor said it was cellulitis and I am now taking a prescription for it. I am losing feeling to my feet and have been told I drag my feet as I walk. I am diabetic and my sugars are running in the five hundreds. Since Christmas I have spent almost every day in bed sleeping. I am so lethargic I feel like I could stay in bed forever.

Comment from: Gailjlawrence, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I had dental surgery in April and two months later I developed cellulitis in my mouth. My dental implant came out followed by lots of pus where the implant was. My dentist put me on an antibiotics, and it cleared up in a few days only to return two weeks later. I went to my doctor, who put me on an antibiotic injection and an oral antibiotic. It is very painful in your face.

Comment from: rav, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

My symptoms of cellulitis are swelling of foot, very high temperature, and red patch over foot. I suspect infection set within 24 hours of entry. Possible cause is infection through surgical wound in the leg (after coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery), removal of saphenous vein in the leg, edema due to impaired evacuation of fluid in feet/leg due removal of vein, and diabetes. Treatment was IV antibiotics clindamycin (Dalacin) and paraffin wax liquid for applying externally. Duration was 1 week in hospital. As an outpatient I was put on Augmentin and later on penicillin 800 mg.

Comment from: Maurreen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I had an operation to mend a prolapsed bowel. I have had a colostomy and urostomy since 1995. Since the operation, I have been back in hospital twice with cellulitis, it has now spread all over my abdomen. I cannot keep the colostomy bag on because of the weeping of the cellulitis, I put three lots of tape on the bag. Nothing I do will keep the bag from falling off. I am getting to the point that I have gone past depression and don't want to be here anymore.

Comment from: Heather, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I woke up one day with 3 small bumps in a row under my left nipple, at first they looked like pimples. They went from small to the largest being on the edge of the nipple. It was so painful to the touch and inflamed. It kept my nipple hard and swollen at all times. I tried everything from Epsom salts to triple antibiotic ointment, drawing salves, and hot baths and heating pads. I had some Bactrim DS 800/160 mg and took it for 3 days and I was still in pain and miserable, needless to say I felt totally drained. I finally said I can't handle this pain anymore. That night I went to the hospital my whole left breast was extremely red and inflamed. They prescribed me clindamycin 300 mg 3 times a day for 10 days and Lortab 7.5 for the pain and to help with the swelling. The strain of cellulitis that I contracted somehow was the staphylococcus version of it. I am now on my second day of antibiotics and it is helping a lot. I actually felt half human today rather than just constantly sleeping and crying. Hopefully this takes care of it but I am still following up with the breast specialist to be on the safe side.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your cellulitis?