Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Causes

Question:What was the cause of your cellulitis?

Comment from: Marinit3, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

A simple manicure was the cause of my cellulitis infection in my finger.

Comment from: mickey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I had chronic diarrhea and nausea for 6 days which caused the hyponatremia.

Comment from: picker, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 24

I picked a piece of irritating skin off, by my ankle and up about 2 inches or so and this is the cause of my cellulitis. Lesson learned, don't be a picker of dry skin.

Comment from: RAy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

For over a year I have had repeated CBC (complete blood count) tests, including hematocrit test result at 0.381. It has varied over the past year along with other tests, and no one can figure it out. They just keep doing blood tests over and over again to see what is changing. My RBC is 4.27, hemoglobin 125, and hematocrit 0.381. So far no diagnosis has been figured out. I am still waiting for someone to figure it out.

Comment from: TM, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I originally had to get a spinal tap in the emergency room for suspicion of an aneurysm. It was unsuccessful as they weren't able to get any fluid. About 30 minutes later I was sent to radiology where it was successful. For the next 3 days I had extreme pain in my back. On day 3 I started experiencing extreme pain in my neck that radiated upwards into my head. I am experiencing somewhat of a headache but it's the neck pain that's the worse. It feels like a super bad case of whiplash. Nobody told me about this possibility. I'm glad all of my tests were negative but I wish the neck pain would subside so that I can do the simple things like get dressed. Well that's my story and thanks for listening.

Comment from: Mum, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 27

Chicken pox infection was the cause of my cellulitis.

Comment from: Grabcia, 19-24 (Patient) Published: January 12

My cause of cellulitis was my open wound. Then my boyfriend's semen went in my foot, so my foot was aching since then. I went to the doctor and asked what I had because my foot was aching so much, by then about a week it was painful. The doctor said it was cellulitis.

Comment from: moomoo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

My cellulitis started with a loose tooth, and my gums were infected within hours. I was prescribed oral penicillin, left side cheek became hard and there were hard lumps at the side of my nose and under the eye. After 2 days doctor sent me to the hospital, and diagnosed it as cellulitis. I was given antibiotics through IV, 3 doses a day for 5 days. Although most of it has gone I still have the lump at the side of my nose, have to see my doctor today and find out if I need more doses of antibiotic or can take pills.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

Bee sting on top of my foot lead to symptoms of cellulitis within 30 minutes.

Comment from: Caggoline, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I developed a large blister on my foot around the big toe. I did not have a plaster with me and continued to walk. This developed into a cellulitis infection. My leg looked normal but I was feverish within 24 hours, and 48 hours later I had a large circular area of raised red skin on my thigh. I went to hospital and was put on a drip with antibiotics and then had a double dose of antibiotics for a week. I felt very unwell. A week later I was much better and the red area disappeared. Now, 6 months later every now and again I feel like someone is squeezing my thigh and it hurts, especially in cold weather.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.