Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Causes

Question:What was the cause of your cellulitis?

Comment from: tim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I was working on a building site and scratched my lower leg. It was a small scratch but didn't heal quickly. I work outside and get many scratches and scrapes and cuts, usually just let them heal. One morning I went to site, felt very sore on inside of leg (from ankle through groin, following main veins up leg). It was very painful, I could hardly walk with pain in groin. I had no energy, I felt hot and cold and developed wicked shakes very quickly (within hour). My leg still looked normal at this point but had redness up path of veins in inner leg. I went to hospital, diagnosed with cellulitis admitted straight away and told that I wasn't going anywhere for a couple of days at least. Intravenous antibiotics were given straight away. Next day my leg was huge, from ankle to groin, lower leg very red, hot, very painful, and felt like sunburn on outside. I was in hospital for 5 days but was keen to get out to go back to work; big mistake. I was given oral antibiotics but spent too much time on my leg, should have been elevated above heart. Five days later I was back in hospital with same symptoms. Make sure you get yourself cured before leaving hospital. It is a very painful and protracted experience. I will be in hospital for another week.

Comment from: mart, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had blepharoplasty on my upper eyelids, and after only a day or two my one eye was red and swollen. My ophthalmologist did not think it was anything major, and never offered to see me. By Monday, my eye was so bad, that he did not want to see me, and said to go to the emergency room. I was admitted to the hospital and put on a heavy dose of intravenous antibiotics, and was able to go home the next day, but had to take oral antibiotics for 2 weeks. I am very healthy, and was not happy with my treatment by the ophthalmologist, but my infection doctor was wonderful. I had never heard of this cellulitis, so I was so unprepared for it.

Comment from: Yearly sufferer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

This is the umpteenth time I've had cellulitis in the exact same place. Doctor said it's from wearing the wrong kind of bra. But I noticed this time that the husband and I had sex a few days before and had bitten me in that area and while I didn't think he had broken the skin, I'm pretty sure now that he had accidentally. People's mouths are pretty germy. A cyst occurred first, then bacterial infection. Waiting to see the doctor it rapidly spread, and I now have cellulitis all around it. I always end up with surgery two times for this. Once in office to lance and pack, which never heals and a return visit brings me to day surgery at the hospital. The doctor has told me to quit smoking to promote healing of the site and I will till this goes away.

Comment from: Max, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

I felt a slight burning sensation at the top of my foot. This erupted into the foot swelling, very painful, warm and red. Saw doctor who prescribed 500mg flucloxacillin four times a day. After a few days I was still no better. I went to the hospital where they diagnosed cellulitis. They prescribed same antibiotic 4 times 1000mg for 5 days. Fifth day it's still not cured and swollen but it does seem a bit better. Cellulitis seems to have happened because of my athlete's foot.

Comment from: jolly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

After a chest drain for lung fluid, I developed cellulitis at the site. It was very hot and red. Five days of IV antibiotics have slightly helped, but the matter is still bad.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

My cellulitis started as itchy eyes. I kept rubbing my eyes and within 3 days developed into cellulitis of both eyes. I went to the emergency room and they diagnosed with cellulitis of the eyes and treated with Keflex and prednisone; I was better within 5 days.

Comment from: Coolz5, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I am a postal worker, on my feet most of the day. An avid gardener, spend much of my off time outdoors in Vermont. Woke up one morning feeling off, severe body aches, slightly sick to my stomach. Went to work. Two hours later, chills, felt wiped out. Went home, back to bed to get rid of chills. High fever, 103.3 in afternoon. Headache. Couldn't be up for more then a few minutes. Figured I had flu. Felt better next morning. Then leg on side of shin started hurting. Thought it was my varicose veins. Started getting red and warm to touch. Hurt to walk. Thought it was blood clot. Went to doctor it was cellulitis. On antibiotic. Two days later, feeling better. Take it seriously. Get medical attention and do what they tell you to.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.