Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Causes

Question:What was the cause of your cellulitis?

Comment from: mart, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had blepharoplasty on my upper eyelids, and after only a day or two my one eye was red and swollen. My ophthalmologist did not think it was anything major, and never offered to see me. By Monday, my eye was so bad, that he did not want to see me, and said to go to the emergency room. I was admitted to the hospital and put on a heavy dose of intravenous antibiotics, and was able to go home the next day, but had to take oral antibiotics for 2 weeks. I am very healthy, and was not happy with my treatment by the ophthalmologist, but my infection doctor was wonderful. I had never heard of this cellulitis, so I was so unprepared for it.

Comment from: Yearly sufferer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

This is the umpteenth time I've had cellulitis in the exact same place. Doctor said it's from wearing the wrong kind of bra. But I noticed this time that the husband and I had sex a few days before and had bitten me in that area and while I didn't think he had broken the skin, I'm pretty sure now that he had accidentally. People's mouths are pretty germy. A cyst occurred first, then bacterial infection. Waiting to see the doctor it rapidly spread, and I now have cellulitis all around it. I always end up with surgery two times for this. Once in office to lance and pack, which never heals and a return visit brings me to day surgery at the hospital. The doctor has told me to quit smoking to promote healing of the site and I will till this goes away.

Comment from: Max, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

I felt a slight burning sensation at the top of my foot. This erupted into the foot swelling, very painful, warm and red. Saw doctor who prescribed 500mg flucloxacillin four times a day. After a few days I was still no better. I went to the hospital where they diagnosed cellulitis. They prescribed same antibiotic 4 times 1000mg for 5 days. Fifth day it's still not cured and swollen but it does seem a bit better. Cellulitis seems to have happened because of my athlete's foot.

Comment from: jolly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

After a chest drain for lung fluid, I developed cellulitis at the site. It was very hot and red. Five days of IV antibiotics have slightly helped, but the matter is still bad.

Comment from: Coolz5, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I am a postal worker, on my feet most of the day. An avid gardener, spend much of my off time outdoors in Vermont. Woke up one morning feeling off, severe body aches, slightly sick to my stomach. Went to work. Two hours later, chills, felt wiped out. Went home, back to bed to get rid of chills. High fever, 103.3 in afternoon. Headache. Couldn't be up for more then a few minutes. Figured I had flu. Felt better next morning. Then leg on side of shin started hurting. Thought it was my varicose veins. Started getting red and warm to touch. Hurt to walk. Thought it was blood clot. Went to doctor it was cellulitis. On antibiotic. Two days later, feeling better. Take it seriously. Get medical attention and do what they tell you to.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

My cellulitis started as itchy eyes. I kept rubbing my eyes and within 3 days developed into cellulitis of both eyes. I went to the emergency room and they diagnosed with cellulitis of the eyes and treated with Keflex and prednisone; I was better within 5 days.

Comment from: kaluabeach, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 14

I was having pain, a lot of pain in my baby toe and behind it on my right foot, nothing was there two days later its red, more painful and itchy, I made an appointment, but my first mistake was I just should of went to the ER. I knew it was different, but was able to get a doctor's appointment. I found out it was cellulitis, I could kick myself for not responding sooner. Now that I know how dangerous it is, I am on antibiotics, I feel not good still, it's going to take time because I should have went the day before. I can't beat myself up, now I have this on top of other health problems, but this information is helping me to understand what is going on inside of me and more, thank you.

Comment from: Jenefa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I am 72 years old. I had a biopsy done of an area on my lower left and right legs. Afterward, the doctor packed the areas with gauze and wrapped them with a "Coban" dressing (looks like an Ace bandage, but it adheres to itself). A week later, when the dressings were removed, the reddened skin and rash were visible. Since then, it has spread to my lower and upper arms, knees and upper legs. They put me on a cream (steroid) but the rash has remained itchy and raised.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.