Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Causes

Question:What was the cause of your cellulitis?

Comment from: moomoo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

My cellulitis started with a loose tooth, and my gums were infected within hours. I was prescribed oral penicillin, left side cheek became hard and there were hard lumps at the side of my nose and under the eye. After 2 days doctor sent me to the hospital, and diagnosed it as cellulitis. I was given antibiotics through IV, 3 doses a day for 5 days. Although most of it has gone I still have the lump at the side of my nose, have to see my doctor today and find out if I need more doses of antibiotic or can take pills.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

Bee sting on top of my foot lead to symptoms of cellulitis within 30 minutes.

Comment from: Caggoline, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I developed a large blister on my foot around the big toe. I did not have a plaster with me and continued to walk. This developed into a cellulitis infection. My leg looked normal but I was feverish within 24 hours, and 48 hours later I had a large circular area of raised red skin on my thigh. I went to hospital and was put on a drip with antibiotics and then had a double dose of antibiotics for a week. I felt very unwell. A week later I was much better and the red area disappeared. Now, 6 months later every now and again I feel like someone is squeezing my thigh and it hurts, especially in cold weather.

Comment from: mb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I had gall bladder surgery (laparoscopic) and developed a staph infection that stayed with me now 20 years. All I have to do is bump myself and get a bruise and I will get cellulitis.

Comment from: taylormom1982, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I keep having cellulitis outbreaks on my abdomen area. It started in Jan 2013 and I ended up in the hospital where they had to cut me open to drain the infection. Last year I spent most of the year with a PICC line and being on IV antibiotics. Then in March I had bariatric surgery. I had been fine with no outbreaks until this past week. Doctors can't tell me why this keeps happening.

Comment from: Damien, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

I struck the bottom of a door with my foot accidentally and got cellulitis.

Comment from: Chris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I have had cellulitis since August and we are now nearly into November. I have been twice been to have it looked at and all they can think of is a deep vein thrombosis. I am on warfarin, the pain is not in my leg it is at the top of my foot, the toes are red and the pain is just driving me crazy and it is also very swollen. It took one of my neighbors to mention cellulitis that a bell went off. It's been just about 11 weeks and I have no immune system, I also have lupus and I am also diabetic.

Comment from: tim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I was working on a building site and scratched my lower leg. It was a small scratch but didn't heal quickly. I work outside and get many scratches and scrapes and cuts, usually just let them heal. One morning I went to site, felt very sore on inside of leg (from ankle through groin, following main veins up leg). It was very painful, I could hardly walk with pain in groin. I had no energy, I felt hot and cold and developed wicked shakes very quickly (within hour). My leg still looked normal at this point but had redness up path of veins in inner leg. I went to hospital, diagnosed with cellulitis admitted straight away and told that I wasn't going anywhere for a couple of days at least. Intravenous antibiotics were given straight away. Next day my leg was huge, from ankle to groin, lower leg very red, hot, very painful, and felt like sunburn on outside. I was in hospital for 5 days but was keen to get out to go back to work; big mistake. I was given oral antibiotics but spent too much time on my leg, should have been elevated above heart. Five days later I was back in hospital with same symptoms. Make sure you get yourself cured before leaving hospital. It is a very painful and protracted experience. I will be in hospital for another week.

Comment from: mart, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had blepharoplasty on my upper eyelids, and after only a day or two my one eye was red and swollen. My ophthalmologist did not think it was anything major, and never offered to see me. By Monday, my eye was so bad, that he did not want to see me, and said to go to the emergency room. I was admitted to the hospital and put on a heavy dose of intravenous antibiotics, and was able to go home the next day, but had to take oral antibiotics for 2 weeks. I am very healthy, and was not happy with my treatment by the ophthalmologist, but my infection doctor was wonderful. I had never heard of this cellulitis, so I was so unprepared for it.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.