Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Causes

Question:What was the cause of your cellulitis?

Comment from: Karen S, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 03

Three weeks ago, I was exposed to poison ivy and contracted a nasty skin inflammation on my face, neck and arms. I immediately went to the doctor, who gave me steroids and antibiotics for three days straight. That took me to the weekend; by the following Monday, my face was so swollen and hard that it was deformed. It also involved my neck and chest and both arms and hands. REALLY ugly. I spent the next four days in the hospital, getting IV antibiotics, steroids and morphine (it was extremely painful). The swelling has gone, my face is fine, but the itching and burning persists. I was diagnosed with cellulitis. Never ran a fever or had chills, but the white blood count indicated infection. Hope to never go through that again.

Comment from: Guest, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 08

My daughter was diagnosed yesterday with this and it was due to a vaccination she was given.

Comment from: farmgirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I woke up one morning with my right nipple hurting. It had what I thought was dried blood on the end of it. After washing and further examination of it, it was not blood but the skin was black or dead on that part. The doctor did a biopsy and it can back as cellulitis. I had never heard of anything like this before.

Comment from: tiger lover, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I was diagnosed with cellulitis in my right middle finger this morning. Swollen, red, throbbing, and warm. I had a paper cut and hangnail on that finger last night and didn't think much of it until I woke up this morning and the finger was very painful. I was only tender yesterday but not that swollen. Take care of your wounds and take medicine as directed.

Comment from: nailpolizqueen79, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I am 32 years old and I first found out I had cellulitis about 5-6 years ago. It started with what looked like a bad bite on my lower leg so I went to er and they didn't know what was wrong until finally someone told me what I had. They gave me sulfur drugs which I later found out I was allergic to. So since then I kept getting them, for a while it was frequently like once a week the eventually settled down to about every few months. I hate when they put drains in but I am grateful for all the help I have had it with this condition. Now I get it about twice every 2 months with some lasting less than a week to having to go the doctor for bigger ones. It's so frustrating but at least I have good doctors to help me.

Comment from: Cherbears, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I fell through a wooden window seat kneeling on it and it punctured right through my jeans. After a few days leg started getting red and swollen and pink. Went to Dr. who said I had cellulitis then gave me Keflex the antibiotic and had an x-ray to make sure the infection didn't go in the bone Osteomyelitis. My leg is still sore and swollen but not red so maybe the Dr. will give me antibiotics again tomorrow. I think it would have healed faster with IV antibiotics.

Comment from: chris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I worked in the backyard for 3 days, removing plants, potting some of them, got a few scratches on my arms and a bite from an insect, not sure if spider or mosquito. Developed persistent headache and fatigue for 2 days. 3rd day felt painful bump in back of my skull , like a cyst. Next day woke up and had swollen and painful area in front of left ear (pain opening my mouth), on left temple and half of forehead red and swollen, it is now spreading all over my forehead. Diagnosed with cellulitis and put on heavy antibiotics, no hospital yet (this is my 2nd day on antibiotics...). Also had fever over 101F,.

Comment from: jeanette, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I recently had cellulitis of the nose, which I thought very unusual. I lasted approx 7 days with 5 of those in hospital with IV antibiotics. It started off with a sore spot on the top of my nose and then spread to the rest of the nose within 12 hrs, overnight. The next day my right eye was swollen and day after that the left eye. I looked like I had been in the boxing ring.

Comment from: prbyb, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I caught cellulitis from dirt on my face. I got it twice. Once from touching my face and another from sleeping on a dirty pillow.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.