Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Causes

Question:What was the cause of your cellulitis?

Comment from: Dalrene, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I shaved my legs and the area on my lower leg I nicked when I shaved, it was fine at first then on the second day it hurt and finally on the fifth day it was so gross looking, red, pussy, and hurt so bad. I could not figure out why it hurt, went to the doctor and he said it was cellulitis. Put me on cephalexin and cream, this is the third day of antibiotic, pain has lessened but it still looks mean and nasty. I blame myself and swear I will never shave my legs again, no matter what, I am 53 who cares anyway.

Comment from: lorachjoy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

Second battle with cellulitis and both followed within two weeks of having a heart stent. It's the same hospital and I think I am getting it from the surgical suite at the hospital. It is painful. I had to have IV therapy last time but this time we are doing oral antibiotics. Of course, the cardiologist says just a coincident but I am certainly not convinced.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: June 29

I accidentally stepped on one of my cats while wearing shoes, her way of letting me know I really hurt her was to wrap both paws ,claws out, around my left ankle, scratching me in two places. One across my instep and the other, deep scratch right above my left ankle bone. Thinking no more of it, I washed it good, kept bleeding so I applied pressure until it stopped then poured Peroxide over it, dried it and put a big dollop of Polysporin ointment on it. This occurred on a Friday evening. By Saturday evening, the site was swollen, red, inflamed and quite painful to touch. I had a routine doctor's appointment that Monday, so I thought no harm in waiting. It was so painful, it hurt to even lay it on the bed at night. I showed the doctor on Monday, told him what had happened. The scratch itself was OK looking -- it was the swelling that came around to the inside of my foot and ankle and the soreness that concerned me. He said it wasn't infected. I asked him 3 times, if he was certain it wasn't infected ... he insisted it wasn't. By Wednesday of the same week, I was in agony, chilling, aching, pain so unbearable I couldn't sleep. So when I called the clinic again, my doctor couldn't see me that day, so I opted for a PA. He took one look at it, noticed I had been running a temperature, told me it was definitely infected. Which I had known all along and I'm not a doctor. Long story short, he started me on an injection of Rocephin and a 10 day supply of Augmentin 875. It seemed to respond OK to the therapy and within about 5 to 6 days, actually felt better. I finished the Augmentin and within 4 days the symptoms were back -- almost as though I had taken nothing. Due to my own ignorance and negligence I suppose, I asked him for another prescription of Augmentin. He prescribed Cipro 500 this time. May as well have taken nothing. So off I go finally to the hospital ER yesterday. The ER physician diagnosed it as Cellulitis with Staph infection. He gave me an injection of Rocephin and a 10 day supply of Doxycycline. I am instructed to return back to the ER tomorrow at 1 to see him ... if this hasn't improved and I don't think it has, he said he would have to admit me. Never would have thought things would get this bad.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: June 18

My cellulitis is in my right ear. It started with what felt like a bump in my right ear. By the next day I was having so much pain in my ear it was awful. It felt like it was swollen inside my ear. I went to the ER and they diagnosed it as swimmers ear, but after two days of treatment it wasn't better so I went to my primary doctor, who diagnosed it as cellulitus. I am not sure how I got it but I can say this it has been a terrible experience. I have felt like I was going to vomit. I have had a fever and just felt crappy. I am now four days into taking antibiotics and starting to feel a little better. I told the ER doctor that at first it felt like a sore in my ear that got worse I can't believe they misdiagnosed this if had not followed up with my doctor it could have been so much worse.

Comment from: mah1442, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I had a shingles vaccine injection which turned into cellulitis the day after. By the second day I had a fever, chills, and the area of injection was swollen, red, warm, and painful. It never occured to me that an injection given in a doctor's office could have been a risk for cellulitis.

Comment from: zombie72, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

Suffered a severe ankle sprain and developed an edema which got infected and caused cellulitis in foot and shin of leg. Has ultrasound to rule out blood clot. Was given an antibiotic shot and prescribed bactrim and keflex for infection and percocet for pain. This is one of the most painful things I have ever experienced. Waiting to see how long it takes to heal.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 27

I developed cellulitis to my face in 2010.I literally woke up with my face and eyes had swollen very badly. My whole face was so sore to touch and my lymph nodes were enormous. When it was finally diagnosed I was admitted to hospital and put on a strong dose of intravenous antibiotics. I was doing very poorly. The only thing that I had at the time was MRSA contracted through my work place. I wasn't stung or bitten so I can't explain it.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.