Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Causes

Question:What was the cause of your cellulitis?

Comment from: mah1442, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I had a shingles vaccine injection which turned into cellulitis the day after. By the second day I had a fever, chills, and the area of injection was swollen, red, warm, and painful. It never occured to me that an injection given in a doctor's office could have been a risk for cellulitis.

Comment from: zombie72, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

Suffered a severe ankle sprain and developed an edema which got infected and caused cellulitis in foot and shin of leg. Has ultrasound to rule out blood clot. Was given an antibiotic shot and prescribed bactrim and keflex for infection and percocet for pain. This is one of the most painful things I have ever experienced. Waiting to see how long it takes to heal.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 27

I developed cellulitis to my face in 2010.I literally woke up with my face and eyes had swollen very badly. My whole face was so sore to touch and my lymph nodes were enormous. When it was finally diagnosed I was admitted to hospital and put on a strong dose of intravenous antibiotics. I was doing very poorly. The only thing that I had at the time was MRSA contracted through my work place. I wasn't stung or bitten so I can't explain it.

Comment from: Karen S, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 03

Three weeks ago, I was exposed to poison ivy and contracted a nasty skin inflammation on my face, neck and arms. I immediately went to the doctor, who gave me steroids and antibiotics for three days straight. That took me to the weekend; by the following Monday, my face was so swollen and hard that it was deformed. It also involved my neck and chest and both arms and hands. REALLY ugly. I spent the next four days in the hospital, getting IV antibiotics, steroids and morphine (it was extremely painful). The swelling has gone, my face is fine, but the itching and burning persists. I was diagnosed with cellulitis. Never ran a fever or had chills, but the white blood count indicated infection. Hope to never go through that again.

Comment from: Guest, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 08

My daughter was diagnosed yesterday with this and it was due to a vaccination she was given.

Comment from: farmgirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I woke up one morning with my right nipple hurting. It had what I thought was dried blood on the end of it. After washing and further examination of it, it was not blood but the skin was black or dead on that part. The doctor did a biopsy and it can back as cellulitis. I had never heard of anything like this before.

Comment from: tiger lover, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I was diagnosed with cellulitis in my right middle finger this morning. Swollen, red, throbbing, and warm. I had a paper cut and hangnail on that finger last night and didn't think much of it until I woke up this morning and the finger was very painful. I was only tender yesterday but not that swollen. Take care of your wounds and take medicine as directed.

Comment from: nailpolizqueen79, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I am 32 years old and I first found out I had cellulitis about 5-6 years ago. It started with what looked like a bad bite on my lower leg so I went to er and they didn't know what was wrong until finally someone told me what I had. They gave me sulfur drugs which I later found out I was allergic to. So since then I kept getting them, for a while it was frequently like once a week the eventually settled down to about every few months. I hate when they put drains in but I am grateful for all the help I have had it with this condition. Now I get it about twice every 2 months with some lasting less than a week to having to go the doctor for bigger ones. It's so frustrating but at least I have good doctors to help me.

Comment from: Cherbears, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I fell through a wooden window seat kneeling on it and it punctured right through my jeans. After a few days leg started getting red and swollen and pink. Went to Dr. who said I had cellulitis then gave me Keflex the antibiotic and had an x-ray to make sure the infection didn't go in the bone Osteomyelitis. My leg is still sore and swollen but not red so maybe the Dr. will give me antibiotics again tomorrow. I think it would have healed faster with IV antibiotics.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.