Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Causes

Question:What was the cause of your cellulitis?

Comment from: kitkat529, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had emergency abdomin surgery in October 2011. I still have an open wound. I started getting cellulitis in March and the doctor has had me on cipro and flagyl everytime I get it. When it started I was getting cellulitis like every 6 to 8 weeks. Now it's to the point where I get it every 2 weeks or so.

Comment from: Birdman, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

Unsure what caused it, but both my arm pits are swollen and it feels like there's lumps under the skin. Also the glands around my neck are swollen. I have seen a doctor they said the glands around my neck are swollen because they are trying to fight the infection under my arm pits these glands are different from my armpit glands. I'm now taking staphyle x 500mg antibiotics. I was told do not touch or squeeze the arm pit as the infection and puss could spread into the blood stream. I put up with the swelling for 3 days before seeing a doctor thinking it would go away but it hasn't so I wish I went earlier was to worried about taking time off work rather than seeing a doctor, hopefully I will get better now.

Comment from: Nunyabizniz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

My two dogs got in a fight and I got in between them when I was scratched on the top of my foot. About 2 days later, I had swelling and a very hot feeling in my foot. I could not walk on it at all.

Comment from: grichardt, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

July 15th 1984 at 2:30 in the afternoon, I was stung by red wasp on the lateral posterior aspect of my left lower extremity one inch above and behind the lateral malleolus. (I got stung above and behind my left ankle.) Pain and swelling of the entire ankle was almost immediate. Two days later, my ankle was still painful and I had developed red streaks running up 3/4 of my leg. I sought care at an urgent care center and was treated with antibiotics and a dose pack of steroids. I developed a hard painless 3/16th inch white cancer at the wound site and continued to have leg pain. Making weekly to bi-weekly visits to my primary care physician for f/u treatment over a 3 month period resulted in pain gradually extending up my leg to the knee. X-rays ruled out a spinal cause of my pain. By four months, I felt like I had a two inch wide scald from my left upper buttock to my left ankle. At that time, I read an article in Discover Magazine describing symptoms similar to mine that had a fungal origin. (Remember the dose pack and think super-infection.) At my request, my doctor prescribed a two week course of Nystatin, 4 grams daily by mouth in divided doses. I was in Heaven, pain free for the first time in many months. That is until the Rx ran out. In 3 days, the pain returned marching up my left leg to the spine, down my right leg to the knee and up both sides of my spine for eight inches. I was frantic and begged for and got an extended refill of the Nystatin which I ended up taking for two and a half years before my doctor refused to refill it. I never did return to the pain free days of my first Nystatin Rx and I still have a circulation problem in the initial affected area. The lesson I learned? If you need a systemic anti-fungal and the Rx is for less than six months for oral meds, you put yourself at risk for permanent injury. My leg hurts mildly as I type this. When things get bad, a course of Tegretol gives me some temporary relief from the neurogenic pain.

Comment from: Dalrene, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I shaved my legs and the area on my lower leg I nicked when I shaved, it was fine at first then on the second day it hurt and finally on the fifth day it was so gross looking, red, pussy, and hurt so bad. I could not figure out why it hurt, went to the doctor and he said it was cellulitis. Put me on cephalexin and cream, this is the third day of antibiotic, pain has lessened but it still looks mean and nasty. I blame myself and swear I will never shave my legs again, no matter what, I am 53 who cares anyway.

Comment from: lorachjoy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

Second battle with cellulitis and both followed within two weeks of having a heart stent. It's the same hospital and I think I am getting it from the surgical suite at the hospital. It is painful. I had to have IV therapy last time but this time we are doing oral antibiotics. Of course, the cardiologist says just a coincident but I am certainly not convinced.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: June 29

I accidentally stepped on one of my cats while wearing shoes, her way of letting me know I really hurt her was to wrap both paws ,claws out, around my left ankle, scratching me in two places. One across my instep and the other, deep scratch right above my left ankle bone. Thinking no more of it, I washed it good, kept bleeding so I applied pressure until it stopped then poured Peroxide over it, dried it and put a big dollop of Polysporin ointment on it. This occurred on a Friday evening. By Saturday evening, the site was swollen, red, inflamed and quite painful to touch. I had a routine doctor's appointment that Monday, so I thought no harm in waiting. It was so painful, it hurt to even lay it on the bed at night. I showed the doctor on Monday, told him what had happened. The scratch itself was OK looking -- it was the swelling that came around to the inside of my foot and ankle and the soreness that concerned me. He said it wasn't infected. I asked him 3 times, if he was certain it wasn't infected ... he insisted it wasn't. By Wednesday of the same week, I was in agony, chilling, aching, pain so unbearable I couldn't sleep. So when I called the clinic again, my doctor couldn't see me that day, so I opted for a PA. He took one look at it, noticed I had been running a temperature, told me it was definitely infected. Which I had known all along and I'm not a doctor. Long story short, he started me on an injection of Rocephin and a 10 day supply of Augmentin 875. It seemed to respond OK to the therapy and within about 5 to 6 days, actually felt better. I finished the Augmentin and within 4 days the symptoms were back -- almost as though I had taken nothing. Due to my own ignorance and negligence I suppose, I asked him for another prescription of Augmentin. He prescribed Cipro 500 this time. May as well have taken nothing. So off I go finally to the hospital ER yesterday. The ER physician diagnosed it as Cellulitis with Staph infection. He gave me an injection of Rocephin and a 10 day supply of Doxycycline. I am instructed to return back to the ER tomorrow at 1 to see him ... if this hasn't improved and I don't think it has, he said he would have to admit me. Never would have thought things would get this bad.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.