Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Causes

Question:What was the cause of your cellulitis?

Comment from: bucktapejo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

It started when I was cleaning storage containers to move. They were kept in an enclosed porch which leaked and subsequently became extremely moldy. 2 days later, I was moving furniture and noticed my foot kept hurting more and more. I removed my sock and shoe, and my foot was double the size it should've been, red, hot, rashy looking and extremely painful. Went to ER, never diagnosed with any one condition. Given antibiotic and allergy meds. Went away after 10 days, but foot still hurts where I thought it started (assumed it was a spider bite) and afterwards it peeled like a sunburn.

Comment from: Linda Z, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

My husband has headache, vomiting and diarrhea. It has been 19 hours and his stomach pains are constant. I am not sure how he got the stomach flu.

Comment from: Chris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I have had cellulitis since August and we are now nearly into November. I have been twice been to have it looked at and all they can think of is a deep vein thrombosis. I am on warfarin, the pain is not in my leg it is at the top of my foot, the toes are red and the pain is just driving me crazy and it is also very swollen. It took one of my neighbors to mention cellulitis that a bell went off. It's been just about 11 weeks and I have no immune system, I also have lupus and I am also diabetic.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

My cellulitis started as itchy eyes. I kept rubbing my eyes and within 3 days developed into cellulitis of both eyes. I went to the emergency room and they diagnosed with cellulitis of the eyes and treated with Keflex and prednisone; I was better within 5 days.

Comment from: headmasterritual, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My left foot was bitten by bed bugs I picked up working at a second hand clothing store, which caused cellulitis, and then following that I was diagnosed with a blood clot!

Comment from: sss, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I had a small zit that I popped and then became somewhat infected. Then it got hot and swollen and sore. I cleaned it and put a Band-aid on it and went to sleep. I woke up and could barely move my middle finger so I went to the doctor, where I was diagnosed with cellulitis. I'm on two antibiotics.

Comment from: Cellulitis-root cana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I had my first & only root canal, went well, was actually painless. I woke up the next morning looking like a monster as that side of my face had blown up. I had cellulitis. Treatment was high dose of antibiotics. I think the dentist was afraid I was going to sue him as he kept calling to check up on me, had me for daily visits & x-rays. Thankfully it all subsided, but boy was it ever painful.

Comment from: Rose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I am a 48 year old women. I enjoy cleaning my flower beds and making them look nice. And, that is exactly what I was doing on Sunday evening. The next morning I woke up with a blister on my lip that appeared to look like a cold sore. I didn't pay much attention to it but by that evening my face had swollen and had lots of reddness and not so much pain as not being able to open my mouth to eat. My lips had gotten so swollen that I could barely eat. Just so that I don't make this story so. Next day went to the doctor I get meds and a steroid shot. Was told to return for an appointment in 2 days at that time I was worst and needed to be hospitalized. If you every experience anything like this take it serious.

Comment from: sherry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I woke up two weeks ago with my left hand hurting. Later that afternoon, I couldn't use it. I went to the doctor the next morning and my hand was red, swollen, and very painful. The doctor said it was arthritis that had turned into cellulitis. I was given an antibiotic and Celebrex. It's been two weeks, and I'm just beginning to use it. It's still painful, and I can't bend or use my middle finger. Everyone says that arthritis doesn't cause this; it is very red and hot around that area.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.