Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Causes

Question:What was the cause of your cellulitis?

Comment from: sss, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I had a small zit that I popped and then became somewhat infected. Then it got hot and swollen and sore. I cleaned it and put a Band-aid on it and went to sleep. I woke up and could barely move my middle finger so I went to the doctor, where I was diagnosed with cellulitis. I'm on two antibiotics.

Comment from: Cellulitis-root cana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I had my first & only root canal, went well, was actually painless. I woke up the next morning looking like a monster as that side of my face had blown up. I had cellulitis. Treatment was high dose of antibiotics. I think the dentist was afraid I was going to sue him as he kept calling to check up on me, had me for daily visits & x-rays. Thankfully it all subsided, but boy was it ever painful.

Comment from: Rose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I am a 48 year old women. I enjoy cleaning my flower beds and making them look nice. And, that is exactly what I was doing on Sunday evening. The next morning I woke up with a blister on my lip that appeared to look like a cold sore. I didn't pay much attention to it but by that evening my face had swollen and had lots of reddness and not so much pain as not being able to open my mouth to eat. My lips had gotten so swollen that I could barely eat. Just so that I don't make this story so. Next day went to the doctor I get meds and a steroid shot. Was told to return for an appointment in 2 days at that time I was worst and needed to be hospitalized. If you every experience anything like this take it serious.

Comment from: sherry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I woke up two weeks ago with my left hand hurting. Later that afternoon, I couldn't use it. I went to the doctor the next morning and my hand was red, swollen, and very painful. The doctor said it was arthritis that had turned into cellulitis. I was given an antibiotic and Celebrex. It's been two weeks, and I'm just beginning to use it. It's still painful, and I can't bend or use my middle finger. Everyone says that arthritis doesn't cause this; it is very red and hot around that area.

Comment from: OUCloud, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

Mine was caused by a carbuncle on my leg. I had the thing for four months--it would drain, and a week late, return. I had it looked at a month ago and was on Bactrim, which kept making me sick. I treated it as I would any other boil/carbuncle and it just got worse. Finally, I had to go to the ER. They put me on Keflex: 4 times a day for 10 days.

Comment from: what is screen name, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 25

I had a pneumonia vaccine and developed a rash at the injection site.

Comment from: cellis44, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 31

I'm not really sure what caused my brother's cellulitis (he's 50 years old). First I was told that lack of circulation in his legs was the culprit (he has a spinal cord injury and is wheel chair bound). After numerous tests were done at the hospital, it was discovered that he had good circulation. After reading this website, I am now convinced that all of this began with a staph infection. He is in a nursing home and I was told by the hospital staff that a lot of staph infections are originated in nursing homes. The end result of several hospitalizations and numerous rounds of antibiotics was having his leg amputated, first a few inches above the foot and then a few inches above the knee. Don't let this infection get out of control. I thought the nursing home had everything under control. They obviously did not.

Comment from: kitkat529, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had emergency abdomin surgery in October 2011. I still have an open wound. I started getting cellulitis in March and the doctor has had me on cipro and flagyl everytime I get it. When it started I was getting cellulitis like every 6 to 8 weeks. Now it's to the point where I get it every 2 weeks or so.

Comment from: Birdman, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

Unsure what caused it, but both my arm pits are swollen and it feels like there's lumps under the skin. Also the glands around my neck are swollen. I have seen a doctor they said the glands around my neck are swollen because they are trying to fight the infection under my arm pits these glands are different from my armpit glands. I'm now taking staphyle x 500mg antibiotics. I was told do not touch or squeeze the arm pit as the infection and puss could spread into the blood stream. I put up with the swelling for 3 days before seeing a doctor thinking it would go away but it hasn't so I wish I went earlier was to worried about taking time off work rather than seeing a doctor, hopefully I will get better now.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.