Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Causes

Question:What was the cause of your cellulitis?

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

Norm from PA, plumber, usually very healthy, after 3 days of work on my knees on a bathroom remodel on the fourth day knee began to hurt and swell as well as my shin area below went to doc on fifth day morning and went to the ER and was diagnosed with cellulitis started antibiotic Keflex with some improvement no more fever or chills now have more energy but knee still hurts now on home IV antibiotics for 2 days. To follow up with orthopedic doc in 3 days Hey tradesmen take care of your knees!

Comment from: soccermom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I was fine until I noted pain in my right breast, near the nipple. When I looked closer I noticed it appeared to be a boil. I self-treated at home for 5 days washing w/ Hibiclens and applying Bacitracin ointment. I thought it was getting better, but suddenly it became much worse with pain, swelling and streaks. Went to my family doc who put me on Bactrim & he sent me to a surgeon the same day. The surgeon lanced, cleaned it out and packed it in the office. I had to change the packing twice per day. The culture was + MRSA. It has been 3 weeks since the surgery and the hole just closed, though I still have some pain. I have a feeling I have not seen the end of this.

Comment from: Rayna, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I work outdoors at a zoo and there is an issue with wasp infestation in the summer. I was at work and felt the sting on the back of my arm - I never saw the insect that got me but I had just been stung 7 days prior by a yellow jacket on my ankle and it felt identical to that. I am mildly allergic to wasp stings so I was not surprised when 6 hours later it was swollen, itchy, and red. I do remember a pus scab that formed directly over the sting which I thought was odd. The next morning it had swelled more around the site but not any worse than my previous stings. Throughout the day, the area became extremely hot to the touch, so hot that I could feel the heat on the surrounding areas of my arm. One side of the swelling stayed in the same place but the other side started spreading and began to wrap around my arm. The whole thing was red and there was an obvious edge to it. That night I was woken up by severe pain in my shoulder, elbow, and fingers. The next morning the swelling had moved 2-3 inches further down my arm and engulfed half of my elbow! That's when I went to the doctor and found out it was cellulitis.

Comment from: hollyblogg, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: August 29

My mother-in-law is sedentary and either sits in a wheel chair or lays in bed at a nursing home. She recently found that her right arm and leg was swollen and hot, and red. They dignosed her with cellulitis and gave her antibiotics. She had no open wounds, but she does have psoriasis breakouts.

Comment from: bucktapejo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

It started when I was cleaning storage containers to move. They were kept in an enclosed porch which leaked and subsequently became extremely moldy. 2 days later, I was moving furniture and noticed my foot kept hurting more and more. I removed my sock and shoe, and my foot was double the size it should've been, red, hot, rashy looking and extremely painful. Went to ER, never diagnosed with any one condition. Given antibiotic and allergy meds. Went away after 10 days, but foot still hurts where I thought it started (assumed it was a spider bite) and afterwards it peeled like a sunburn.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

My cellulitis started as itchy eyes. I kept rubbing my eyes and within 3 days developed into cellulitis of both eyes. I went to the emergency room and they diagnosed with cellulitis of the eyes and treated with Keflex and prednisone; I was better within 5 days.

Comment from: headmasterritual, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My left foot was bitten by bed bugs I picked up working at a second hand clothing store, which caused cellulitis, and then following that I was diagnosed with a blood clot!

Comment from: sss, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I had a small zit that I popped and then became somewhat infected. Then it got hot and swollen and sore. I cleaned it and put a Band-aid on it and went to sleep. I woke up and could barely move my middle finger so I went to the doctor, where I was diagnosed with cellulitis. I'm on two antibiotics.

Comment from: Cellulitis-root cana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I had my first & only root canal, went well, was actually painless. I woke up the next morning looking like a monster as that side of my face had blown up. I had cellulitis. Treatment was high dose of antibiotics. I think the dentist was afraid I was going to sue him as he kept calling to check up on me, had me for daily visits & x-rays. Thankfully it all subsided, but boy was it ever painful.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.