Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Causes

Question:What was the cause of your cellulitis?

Comment from: kaluabeach, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 14

I was having pain, a lot of pain in my baby toe and behind it on my right foot, nothing was there two days later its red, more painful and itchy, I made an appointment, but my first mistake was I just should of went to the ER. I knew it was different, but was able to get a doctor's appointment. I found out it was cellulitis, I could kick myself for not responding sooner. Now that I know how dangerous it is, I am on antibiotics, I feel not good still, it's going to take time because I should have went the day before. I can't beat myself up, now I have this on top of other health problems, but this information is helping me to understand what is going on inside of me and more, thank you.

Comment from: Jenefa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I am 72 years old. I had a biopsy done of an area on my lower left and right legs. Afterward, the doctor packed the areas with gauze and wrapped them with a "Coban" dressing (looks like an Ace bandage, but it adheres to itself). A week later, when the dressings were removed, the reddened skin and rash were visible. Since then, it has spread to my lower and upper arms, knees and upper legs. They put me on a cream (steroid) but the rash has remained itchy and raised.

Comment from: trubrit, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I had a Hysterectomy late last year and within days I had brown discharge from the wound where I was cut and told not to worry it would go with a course of antibiotics. Well 8 weeks later I still have staples to be removed because my incision will not heal the brown discharge has changed to green not a little discharge but running green ooze, I was told three weeks ago I had an infection in the layer of fat tissue. Two emergency room visits later, with CTS showing pockets of infection, five courses of antibiotic later nothing has changed. I have seen the surgeon every week since the surgery where his lack of concern is apparent. I have chills, fevers, trouble breathing, pain, chest pain, I have lost over 35lbs, I have been to one of the largest hospitals in NW Ohio and do you think they care....no I have exhausted all my resources and efforts and I am left to rot from the inside out. If you question a conditions similar to the ones above do not delay get to medical attention, they may be able to save your life.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

Norm from PA, plumber, usually very healthy, after 3 days of work on my knees on a bathroom remodel on the fourth day knee began to hurt and swell as well as my shin area below went to doc on fifth day morning and went to the ER and was diagnosed with cellulitis started antibiotic Keflex with some improvement no more fever or chills now have more energy but knee still hurts now on home IV antibiotics for 2 days. To follow up with orthopedic doc in 3 days Hey tradesmen take care of your knees!

Comment from: soccermom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I was fine until I noted pain in my right breast, near the nipple. When I looked closer I noticed it appeared to be a boil. I self-treated at home for 5 days washing w/ Hibiclens and applying Bacitracin ointment. I thought it was getting better, but suddenly it became much worse with pain, swelling and streaks. Went to my family doc who put me on Bactrim & he sent me to a surgeon the same day. The surgeon lanced, cleaned it out and packed it in the office. I had to change the packing twice per day. The culture was + MRSA. It has been 3 weeks since the surgery and the hole just closed, though I still have some pain. I have a feeling I have not seen the end of this.

Comment from: Rayna, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I work outdoors at a zoo and there is an issue with wasp infestation in the summer. I was at work and felt the sting on the back of my arm - I never saw the insect that got me but I had just been stung 7 days prior by a yellow jacket on my ankle and it felt identical to that. I am mildly allergic to wasp stings so I was not surprised when 6 hours later it was swollen, itchy, and red. I do remember a pus scab that formed directly over the sting which I thought was odd. The next morning it had swelled more around the site but not any worse than my previous stings. Throughout the day, the area became extremely hot to the touch, so hot that I could feel the heat on the surrounding areas of my arm. One side of the swelling stayed in the same place but the other side started spreading and began to wrap around my arm. The whole thing was red and there was an obvious edge to it. That night I was woken up by severe pain in my shoulder, elbow, and fingers. The next morning the swelling had moved 2-3 inches further down my arm and engulfed half of my elbow! That's when I went to the doctor and found out it was cellulitis.

Comment from: hollyblogg, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: August 29

My mother-in-law is sedentary and either sits in a wheel chair or lays in bed at a nursing home. She recently found that her right arm and leg was swollen and hot, and red. They dignosed her with cellulitis and gave her antibiotics. She had no open wounds, but she does have psoriasis breakouts.

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.