Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Causes

Question:What was the cause of your cellulitis?

Comment from: Max, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

I felt a slight burning sensation at the top of my foot. This erupted into the foot swelling, very painful, warm and red. Saw doctor who prescribed 500mg flucloxacillin four times a day. After a few days I was still no better. I went to the hospital where they diagnosed cellulitis. They prescribed same antibiotic 4 times 1000mg for 5 days. Fifth day it's still not cured and swollen but it does seem a bit better. Cellulitis seems to have happened because of my athlete's foot.

Comment from: jolly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

After a chest drain for lung fluid, I developed cellulitis at the site. It was very hot and red. Five days of IV antibiotics have slightly helped, but the matter is still bad.

Comment from: Coolz5, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I am a postal worker, on my feet most of the day. An avid gardener, spend much of my off time outdoors in Vermont. Woke up one morning feeling off, severe body aches, slightly sick to my stomach. Went to work. Two hours later, chills, felt wiped out. Went home, back to bed to get rid of chills. High fever, 103.3 in afternoon. Headache. Couldn't be up for more then a few minutes. Figured I had flu. Felt better next morning. Then leg on side of shin started hurting. Thought it was my varicose veins. Started getting red and warm to touch. Hurt to walk. Thought it was blood clot. Went to doctor it was cellulitis. On antibiotic. Two days later, feeling better. Take it seriously. Get medical attention and do what they tell you to.

Comment from: kaluabeach, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 14

I was having pain, a lot of pain in my baby toe and behind it on my right foot, nothing was there two days later its red, more painful and itchy, I made an appointment, but my first mistake was I just should of went to the ER. I knew it was different, but was able to get a doctor's appointment. I found out it was cellulitis, I could kick myself for not responding sooner. Now that I know how dangerous it is, I am on antibiotics, I feel not good still, it's going to take time because I should have went the day before. I can't beat myself up, now I have this on top of other health problems, but this information is helping me to understand what is going on inside of me and more, thank you.

Comment from: Jenefa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I am 72 years old. I had a biopsy done of an area on my lower left and right legs. Afterward, the doctor packed the areas with gauze and wrapped them with a "Coban" dressing (looks like an Ace bandage, but it adheres to itself). A week later, when the dressings were removed, the reddened skin and rash were visible. Since then, it has spread to my lower and upper arms, knees and upper legs. They put me on a cream (steroid) but the rash has remained itchy and raised.

Comment from: trubrit, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I had a Hysterectomy late last year and within days I had brown discharge from the wound where I was cut and told not to worry it would go with a course of antibiotics. Well 8 weeks later I still have staples to be removed because my incision will not heal the brown discharge has changed to green not a little discharge but running green ooze, I was told three weeks ago I had an infection in the layer of fat tissue. Two emergency room visits later, with CTS showing pockets of infection, five courses of antibiotic later nothing has changed. I have seen the surgeon every week since the surgery where his lack of concern is apparent. I have chills, fevers, trouble breathing, pain, chest pain, I have lost over 35lbs, I have been to one of the largest hospitals in NW Ohio and do you think they I have exhausted all my resources and efforts and I am left to rot from the inside out. If you question a conditions similar to the ones above do not delay get to medical attention, they may be able to save your life.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

Norm from PA, plumber, usually very healthy, after 3 days of work on my knees on a bathroom remodel on the fourth day knee began to hurt and swell as well as my shin area below went to doc on fifth day morning and went to the ER and was diagnosed with cellulitis started antibiotic Keflex with some improvement no more fever or chills now have more energy but knee still hurts now on home IV antibiotics for 2 days. To follow up with orthopedic doc in 3 days Hey tradesmen take care of your knees!

Cellulitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?
Cellulitis - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for cellulitis?
Cellulitis - Infection Question: Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.