Patient Comments: Celiac Disease - Diagnosis

How was your case of celiac disease diagnosed?

Comment from: Shannon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I was experiencing hair loss. I have long hair and doctors initially thought it was due to thyroid condition that I did have...but turned out to reverse itself once I started the gluten free diet. I was diagnosed with an endoscopy for Celiac Disease.

Comment from: boyd1964, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 11

It took two years and many doctors before one finally stumbled on celiac in 2001. Symptoms were sore joints, diarrhea, fatigue, weight loss, memory problems, depression, acid reflux. His first response was heavy metal poisoning, but then he remember he'd had his wife tested, and so tested me. I'm now in refractory phase with lymph problems and chronic fatigue.

Comment from: kc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I started at age 40 with frequent bouts of bladder pain and inflammation that the doctors explained as interstitial cystitis. A few years later the bloating, abdominal pain, reflux and thin floaty stools started. A small bowel biopsy and bloodwork confirmed I have celiac disease. Two years on a gluten free diet the bladder pain dissapeared as well as the other symptoms!

Comment from: celiac and diabetic, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 28

My mom of 74 has been in the hospital three times since May. It started with chronic diarrhea for about two weeks then she was diagnosed with being celiac diabetic and colitic. She is on steroid tablets and insulin once a day. She was never sick in the past and has also lost so much weight, she is now 40 kg. I feel she has changed and is very confused and bothered. I am trying to help her as best as I can but she has told me I am taking over her life. She was a very active woman and very independent but I really do not know what to do for her.

Comment from: Theresa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

My celiac disease was diagnosed by a blood test and a biopsy.

Comment from: Iolanthe4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

After 12 years of feeling sick every day and getting lots of medical tests, my doctor ordered a blood test that revealed I had a low B12 level. Eventually, he referred me to a GE: the rest, thankfully, is history.

Comment from: docsfilly, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

My celiac disease was diagnosed via colonoscopy. The doctor said that my intestine did not look right, kind of flat at the bottom, so he ordered blood work, and an upper G.I. He said that I was positive for celiac disease. I also had all the symptoms of COPD, which he said may go away, and also allergies. I've been on the diet for a month, and I already feel less bloated, and I am sleeping better. I am looking forward to better health.

Comment from: 34 & sick, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I was diagnosed in 2008. I did a blood test to see if I had celiac disease and the doctor said it was not 100% the only way to really know was to do the diet. I did it for a year. I did feel better when I was on the diet. But I gauss I got to relaxed and stopped. Know I am back on it because I need to be. I have Multiple Sclerosis that I think is getting worse do to not being on the diet and other things. But I do feel better on the diet.

Celiac Disease - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with celiac disease?
Celiac Disease - Treatment Question: What treatments have been effective for celiac disease?
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free Diet Question: What dietary changes have you made to treat celiac disease, and has a gluten free diet been effective and easy?
Celiac Disease - Other Conditions Question: Other diseases or conditions often accompany celiac disease. Please describe your experience.