Patient Comments: Celiac Disease - Symptoms

What symptoms have you experienced with celiac disease?

A Doctor's View on Celiac Disease Symptoms

Read the Comment by Jay W. Marks, MD

Celiac disease symptoms include diarrhea, abdominal discomfort, bloating, gas, and swelling of ankles. Many people with celiac disease also have other symptoms if undiagnosed, such as anemia, fatigue, vitamin and calcium deficiencies, and easy brusing. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I have Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in my salivary gland, and as a routine staging procedure because of occasional acid reflux, I had an endoscopy to check for signs of lymphoma in my stomach. The doctor found signs of celiac disease in my small intestine and did a biopsy. My only symptoms are fatigue and weight loss. I am 41 years old and have been on a gluten-free diet for five days.

Comment from: Judy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I was diagnosed with IBS 22 yrs ago and I have been hospitalized three times with bad bouts of diarrhea and only told I had to learn to live with it. March this year I got an appointment to go for a scan and I casually asked the nurse attending why I was having this scan and she said to me that I was newly diagnosed with celiac disease which was news to me. Since I have been on a gluten free diet I have been feeling much better I have had a few setbacks, but nothing near like what I was like when I was undiagnosed. I just wished that I could have been told earlier and I could have had a better quality of life as I was often very ill.

Comment from: Arzola t, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

With my celiac disease, I had heartburn, gas, and bloating, especially after eating pizza. I thought the pepperoni was the cause, so I would pick it off. However, I continued to experience the same symptoms. I took a lot of antacid tablets. After a couple of months, I began to experience abdominal pain and diarrhea. I mentioned it to my doctor, and she had my blood tested. When the results came back, she said I had a high celiac panel reading. She then referred me to a gastroenterologist. He mentioned a probability of having celiac sprue. He said a definitive answer would be reached by performing a biopsy of my small intestine. It came back positive for celiac sprue. I was diagnosed at the age of 58. I am now 61. It has been a challenge finding affordable restaurants that carry a gluten-free menu.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

My symptoms at onset of the disease were loss of bone density, loss of muscle mass, 0% body fat, dermatitis herpetiformis, depression, muscle weakness, weight loss, diarrhea, daily vomiting, iron-deficient anemia, low calcium and vitamin D counts, B-12 and Vitamin K anemia, headaches, urticaria and fatigue. I was 21 when diagnosed, and had these symptoms for 6 years, escalating in severity. I was diagnosed by a collective team in the hospital after having full body muscle spasms that were mistaken for epileptic seizures. The gluten-free diet has cleared all of the symptoms and improved my overall mental and physical health!

Comment from: stericthegtop, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

With celiac disease I have fatigue, weakness, appetite for soft starches, as meats and sautéed vegetables cause chronic constipation.

Celiac Disease - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of celiac disease diagnosed?
Celiac Disease - Treatment Question: What treatments have been effective for celiac disease?
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free Diet Question: What dietary changes have you made to treat celiac disease, and has a gluten free diet been effective and easy?
Celiac Disease - Other Conditions Question: Other diseases or conditions often accompany celiac disease. Please describe your experience.