- Bacterial Infections 101 Pictures Slideshow
- Take the Tummy Trouble Quiz
- Hepatitis C Slideshow Pictures
- What is cefixime, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- What brand names are available for cefixime?
- Is cefixime available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for cefixime?
- What are the uses for cefixime?
- What are the side effects of cefixime?
- What is the dosage for cefixime?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with cefixime?
- Is cefixime safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about cefixime?
What is cefixime, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
Cefixime is a semi-synthetic (partially man-made), oral antibiotic in the cephalosporin family of antibiotics. The cephalosporin family includes cephalexin (Keflex), cefaclor (Ceclor), cefuroxime (Zinacef), cefpodoxime (Vantin), cefprozil (Cefzil), and many injectable forms. Like other cephalosporins, cefixime stops bacteria from multiplying by preventing bacteria from forming the walls that surround them. The walls are necessary to protect bacteria from their environment and to keep the contents of the bacterial cell together; most bacteria cannot survive without a cell wall. Cefixime is active against a very wide spectrum of bacteria such as Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Streptococcus pyogenes (the cause of strep throat), Hemophilus influenzae, Moraxella catarrhalis, E. coli, Klebsiella, Proteus mirabilis, Salmonella, Shigella, and Neisseria gonorrhoeae. The FDA approved cefixime in April 1989.
What brand names are available for cefixime?
Is cefixime available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
Do I need a prescription for cefixime?
What are the uses for cefixime?
Cefixime is effective for infections like:
- infection of the middle ear (otitis media),
- throat infections (pharyngitis),
- bronchitis, and
- pneumonia caused by susceptible bacteria.
It also is used for treating
- urinary tract infections,
- gonorrhea, and
- acute bacterial bronchitis in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
What are the side effects of cefixime?
Common side effects of cefixime include:
Other side effects include:
Quick GuideSymptoms of Mono: Infectious Mononucleosis Treatment
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.