Patient Comments: Cauda Equina - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your cauda equina?

Comment from: mlang52, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

My cauda equina occurred immediately, after a broken back, from a twenty foot fall. L-2 exploded fragments into the spinal canal. The neurosurgeon delayed treatment, both of us wanting to be conservative. But, it never changed from the time I hit the ground. I had a five level fusion.

Comment from: Capricew, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

For me it happened during my spinal fusion surgery. My surgeon nicked the spinal sack. The symptoms were immediate. It's been four months and there's just a small amount of improvement. I still have partial numbness in my lower legs, feet, buttocks and the back of my thighs. My bladder issues have improved a little.

Comment from: cyclist, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I was hit by a car while riding my bike on the side of the road.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I slipped on the ice and landed on concrete on my butt. I was not immediately diagnosed with cauda equina syndrome (CES) until about five years later, when I lost control of my bowels and bladder and was in constant pain. I was just diagnosed and have not received treatment yet. I'm worried that after this length of time it is permanently damaged.

Comment from: Jumbo jumbo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I went to a chiropractor with sciatica. All bladder and bowel function was lost after "spinal manipulation."

Cauda Equina Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with cauda equina syndrome.
Cauda Equina Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your cauda equina syndrome?
Cauda Equina Syndrome - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your cauda equina syndrome?