- Dementia Slideshow Pictures
- Take the ADHD Quiz
- Brain Foods Slideshow
- Patient Comments: Cauda Equina Syndrome - Experience
- Patient Comments: Cauda Equina Syndrome - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Cauda Equina - Causes
- Cauda equina syndrome facts
- What is cauda equina syndrome?
- What are the causes of cauda equina syndrome?
- What are the symptoms of cauda equina syndrome?
- How is cauda equina syndrome diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for cauda equina syndrome?
- Can cauda equina syndrome be prevented?
- What is the outlook (prognosis) for cauda equina syndrome?
Can cauda equina syndrome be prevented?
Cauda equina syndrome occurs as a result of conditions which are not predictable and is therefore not a preventable syndrome. However, cauda equina syndrome caused by infections initiated by IV drug abuse can be prevented by not using illegal IV drugs.
What is the outlook (prognosis) for cauda equina syndrome?
Ultimately, the outlook for patients affected by cauda equina syndrome is determined by the extent of damage to involved nerve tissue. In general, the longer the duration of the compression of the spinal cord, the longer the recovery period and less likely complete recovery can occur.
Medically reviewed by Joseph Carcione, DO; American board of Psychiatry and Neurology
eMedicne.com; "Cauda Equina Syndrome."
John H. Klippel, et. al., Primer on the Rheumatic Diseases, 13th Edition, 2008.