Patient Comments: Cataracts - Symptoms

Did you have any symptoms of cataracts, or were they diagnosed during an eye exam? Please share your experience.

Comment from: ETHEL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I started having cloudy vision in my left eye. I was concerned about it so I made an appointment to see the eye doctor. I told her what was happening with my left eye. After the examination she told me I had the beginning of cataract in my eye, and I needed to wear glasses. I was relieved I thought it was something very serious going on with my eye. The glasses are helping and I see better.

Comment from: Mkn, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

The power of glasses in my right eye suddenly increased from -6 to -7.5 at the age of 56. The doctor has diagnosed cataract in the initial stage. He says the vision will further deteriorate, maybe up to -9.5 before any surgery is attempted.

Comment from: ts, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have been on Seroquel for Bipolar disorder for about 12 years. I started having progressive changes in my vision and cataracts have formed. It is a "side effect" of this drug. I am writing this so others will be aware of how medication can cause this problem. It is noted in the FDA report.

Comment from: Thesuperwonder, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I noticed that I was not seeing as clearly with my left eye. I went to my eye doctor, and she saw a posterior sub-capsular cataract. It kind of depresses me, but it is repairable.

Cataracts - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment or surgery did you have for your cataracts?
Cataracts - Experience Question: How old were you when cataracts were discovered? Please describe your experience.
Cataracts - Surgery Question: What type of surgery did you have for cataracts? Please describe the procedure.
Cataracts - Complications Question: Did you or someone you know have a complication with a cataract or surgery? Please discuss the experience.