Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Side effects

How has cataract surgery affected your vision?

Comment from: Connie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I had cataract surgery a week ago in my right eye. I experienced cloudy vision within 1 hour of leaving hospital. I returned and had it checked. High pressure in the eye was the cause and eye drops were given to correct vision. It did work. I also have semicircular black area on right edge of the right eye. Doctor says it's the edge of the lens I'm seeing and it may go away with time but can't guarantee it. Also I saw a spot on eye that doctor says is lens edge again. It's only visible in the mirror. I have read other people say they have had these two issues also. My distance vision is much better. I still need reading glasses but that's better than bifocals.

Comment from: Norma w, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had cataract surgery in one eye 5 weeks ago and all fine except that I see different colors around me. Things are predominately yellow, but only from that eye. If I cover it and look through the other, colors are fine. This morning I came down to a purple glass jug on the draining board but it's brown! I tried holding my hand over the operated eye and jug was brown, but a beautiful purple when looking through the operated eye and through both. I wonder what has happened!

Comment from: Rokh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

In my family, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is inherited and the living habits of several relatives are now what I do as well. I would offer that frequent/multiple bowel movements is more accurate than diarrhea. Increased frequency is associated with diarrhea, but not always. One can still have diarrhea for other reasons. Basically, you have to be very careful of what you eat, drink, ingest as medication, etc. Read labels carefully; a change in ketchup caused several days problems while I was trying to figure out what went wrong. Vegan/vegetarianism is helpful. Vegan is not possible because of a heavy reliance on beans, legumes, spices, etc., which are problematic. The tradition of expresso cafe post-meal is helpful for digestion and one directional. Small amounts of coffee can avoid/ease much difficulty. If you l do not like black coffee, small amount of milk or cream will be neutralized by the coffee and avoid the lactose-intolerant symptoms and difficulties.

Comment from: Pat C, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

I had cataract surgery on my left eye in September 2015 and on right eye in April 2016. My left eye went excellent. I have had glare and bright light problems with my right eye. When I say glare and bright light, I am talking about overcast days, and not sunny days. I am fine on sunny days wearing sunglasses. But if it is overcast, I get horrible reaction to glare so bad that I have to squint and still cannot see. Also have to turn off all the florescence lights in the house because they bother me when watching TV. I ordered a pair of sunglasses from Noir and they were excellent. I am going to order a pair of amber glare shield sun glasses from them which hopefully will help with the glare.

Comment from: peggy camper, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had cataract surgery on my left eye in August 2015 and it went fine, everything clearer, no problems. The ophthalmologist performed the cataract surgery on my right eye a month later, September 2015, and it was a catastrophe. When the bandage was taken off, there was a film over my eye. This eventually went away, but I still have blurriness of vision in this right eye, as well as the eye itself feeling like there is something is in it. There is itching, dryness, soreness, etc. I could probably deal with the vision irregularity, but the way my eye actually feels is bothersome. The doctor said I have cystoid macular degeneration in this right eye. I am not sure if this is from the surgery or not. I have been on eye drops since this surgery in September 2015. This ophthalmologist told me before the surgery that I had an astigmatism in the right eye and that he would try to correct this. I am thinking that all of the problems I am having in this eye is because of the lens he used. He also had to cut my eye more and there were stitches in it that had to be removed 3 months later. Anyway, after months of eye drops and follow-up visits, he referred me to another ophthalmologist in his own practice. This second ophthalmologist is giving me eye drops as well. But, the thing that is strange is that before I went to the second ophthalmologist, I went to an optometrist to have my vision tested and get eyeglasses (which did not help the blurriness), and the optometrist told me that I had 2 lenses in my right eye. I had never heard of that before. However, after that, when I was referred to the 2nd ophthalmologist in the same practice, he told me that I did not have 2 lenses. I am getting a lot of conflicting information on exactly what was done to my eye. I want to get a second opinion from an ophthalmologist outside this practice.

Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.