Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Side effects

How has cataract surgery affected your vision?

Comment from: peggy camper, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had cataract surgery on my left eye in August 2015 and it went fine, everything clearer, no problems. The ophthalmologist performed the cataract surgery on my right eye a month later, September 2015, and it was a catastrophe. When the bandage was taken off, there was a film over my eye. This eventually went away, but I still have blurriness of vision in this right eye, as well as the eye itself feeling like there is something is in it. There is itching, dryness, soreness, etc. I could probably deal with the vision irregularity, but the way my eye actually feels is bothersome. The doctor said I have cystoid macular degeneration in this right eye. I am not sure if this is from the surgery or not. I have been on eye drops since this surgery in September 2015. This ophthalmologist told me before the surgery that I had an astigmatism in the right eye and that he would try to correct this. I am thinking that all of the problems I am having in this eye is because of the lens he used. He also had to cut my eye more and there were stitches in it that had to be removed 3 months later. Anyway, after months of eye drops and follow-up visits, he referred me to another ophthalmologist in his own practice. This second ophthalmologist is giving me eye drops as well. But, the thing that is strange is that before I went to the second ophthalmologist, I went to an optometrist to have my vision tested and get eyeglasses (which did not help the blurriness), and the optometrist told me that I had 2 lenses in my right eye. I had never heard of that before. However, after that, when I was referred to the 2nd ophthalmologist in the same practice, he told me that I did not have 2 lenses. I am getting a lot of conflicting information on exactly what was done to my eye. I want to get a second opinion from an ophthalmologist outside this practice.

Comment from: Kaye, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have Fuch's dystrophy and had cataract surgery on my right eye 3 years ago. My vision was not great after surgery and I had a slight fuzziness in my peripheral vision, but after several months this went away. The doctor said it did improve my vision, though I didn't feel it was better at all. I changed doctors and was told I should have cataract surgery on my left eye. I decided to go ahead and am sorry I did. Once my eye patch was removed all I could see was a cloudy fog. It's been a week, and I still can't see out if it. I went to my doctor today and he prescribed some drops to help draw off the fluid. I'm to see the specialist in a week. I'm wondering how other Fuch's patients have done with cataract surgery. They said it could take 2 to 3 months to clear up, but I have my doubts that it will since I have seen no improvement after 7 days. I'm really sorry I had this done! I'm an artist and love to paint, but this experience has robbed me of my joy!

Comment from: skeet, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 29

After cataract surgery on my right eye my sight is fantastic, and l feel l am seeing clearly through both eyes, even though l still have cataract in my left eye. I don't need glasses for anything, and l don't need surgery on my left eye now. When l told my surgeon he said l was very lucky to have this happen.

Comment from: truckerh2o, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I had cataract surgery and I can see that the side of my face feels like it is swollen, the bone under the eye is bigger than the other side and I don't see well at all. I wonder if the bone can be swollen. The doctor said there is nothing wrong, but I think there is.

Comment from: thelma, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had cataract surgery in August. Then in December I had double vision. It is terrible trying to see. I wish I had never had it done.

Comment from: stephen, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 11

I had cataract surgery in both eyes about 6 months ago but one eye keeps watering a lot. The other eye is ok.

Comment from: Oskarvee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I've had poor vision since childhood. Most recent myopia correction was -8. I also have keratoconus related astigmatism. I had reduced contrast caused by the cataracts. The procedure of cataract surgery I would call uneventful and without significant trauma. I chose to have it done without sedation and relied on mental preparation. It was creepy certainly but neither frightening nor painful. Now it is one month since first eye, two weeks since second. In first, myopia is near fully corrected, second about 90 percent. Contrast improved. Astigmatism remains as expected. In spite of that I can see well enough to drive without glasses and have functional uncorrected vision for the first time in over 50 years. A continuing oddity in the first eye is a consistent angle light flare from points of bright light, most noticeable at night. For this I've not been able to get an explanation of cause nor a prognosis.

Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.