Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Side effects

How has cataract surgery affected your vision?

Comment from: DelilahE, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had cataract surgery three weeks ago in my right eye. I now have perfect vision in that eye. My problem is the distorted vision and I am having to use my old glasses to dim down the perfect vision in my right eye. Since having the surgery I am continuously off balance and dizzy. I hope this will right itself once I have my left eye done which I also hope will correct the distorted vision. Overall I don"t regret having cataract surgery but am not enjoying the healing process.

Comment from: tarz, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 28

I had cataract surgery March 5 2014 on my left eye. Immediately after the surgery I saw a transparent irregular shape when I closed my right eye. It has been 3 weeks and I still see the shape. When I look outside the shape is green. Inside the house it is lavender. All the doctors will tell me is that I have macular degeneration which I already knew. They do not address the colored shape I am seeing. With both eyes open I do not see the shape only when I close my right eye.

Comment from: KAR, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I had cataract surgery on my left eye two day ago. Other than just a very little irritation, everything went fine. Procedure was a breeze and I see great at most distances already. Colors are bright and clear. I will be getting my right eye done in two weeks and looking forward to it. Choose your doctor carefully. It makes all the difference in the world.

Comment from: Chrissie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had cataract surgery done on both eyes in December 2013 a week apart. The surgeon set one lens to short vision and one to long vision. This was supposed to alleviate the need for glasses, which after 50 years of being short sighted sounded wonderful. My brain has taken three months to adjust. I had a severe neurological reaction to one of the drops, problems with severe glare and eye strain in the first 8 weeks. I now have 3 sets of glasses. At night I have a line that goes out from lights that makes night vision stressful. Procedure was a walk in the park but post-surgery, a nightmare. I had no choice due to very low vision. I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to have 2 different lens. Go with what your previous vision was.

Comment from: Boz, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 06

I've had one cataract surgery on my left eye 6 days ago. I'm wondering if anyone knows or has had symptoms like this. When I cover my right eye to see the progress of my left eye for clarity, eye sight, etc., I notice for example, if I look at a large wall clock or anything perfectly round, it gives me an oval or oblong, egg shape. When I turn my head horizontal the image is a circle. It seems that the lens was put in the wrong way. I wonder if this is possible or if this is just a symptom that I hope will go away with time. I can't drive with my head sideways!

Comment from: WnY, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 11

My mother had a cataract surgery 2 days ago and now she is seeing a black spot at the side wherever she looks. She has diabetes and hypertension.

Comment from: srivastava, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 27

My mother had a cataract operation in right eye last winter 2013. After one year during December 2013 she is suffering from itching and blurred vision. My mother is diabetic.

Comment from: carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am so unhappy. I had cataract surgery done on my first eye in October. It is fine now, but I had the black semi-circular people talk about, also the eye was very sore, but that has all settled down. Six weeks ago I had my left eye done, a different surgeon, totally different experience, eye was full of blood which took 2 weeks to clear, I am left with cobwebby lines, spots, and it is as if a fingerprint is on the lens. I am told I may have to live with it. It is very tiring looking through an unclean lens and very depressing.

Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.