Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Side Effects

How has cataract surgery affected your vision?

Comment from: Kathleen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had cataract surgery in September in one eye and now in November, I have horrible vision, much worse than before the surgery. I do not know what is wrong. The last I heard from my doctor is that he does not have any idea what to do. He thinks the healing looks fine. I am in despair. I advise anyone considering cataract surgery to ask themselves whether they are nearly blind so that they can risk the vision they have with nearly nothing to lose. If the answer is yes, then maybe the risk is merited.

Comment from: Alison, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I had monofocal lens implants 6 weeks ago. I was very short sighted and had a small cataract on each eye. I now have 20/20 vision in both eyes but do need to wear reading glasses, which is what I had to do when I have contact lenses, and that is fine. I opted for this rather than the multifocal lens as I drive at night and the multifocal can affect this. I occasionally get dry eyes which I fix with drops, but other than that am really pleased with the results. Everything is so clear, and colours much brighter. I do wear sunglasses when outside, but would have when wearing contacts anyway.

Comment from: rosalie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I reluctantly agreed to have cataract surgery after my doctor pressured me for two years. He told me if I waited any longer, the cataract could break apart, pieces could fall to the back of my eye, and I would need to have additional surgery by a retina surgeon to remove parts of the cataract. I have a condition in my eye similar to macular degeneration and had peripheral vision only, at time of surgery. After surgery, my vision is distorted; images in that eye bulge at the bottom of what I'm looking at. The surgeon referred me to a retina specialist who said the bulging could have been masked by the cataract. No, I did not have distorted vision prior to surgery. Very depressing.

Comment from: Connie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I had cataract surgery a week ago in my right eye. I experienced cloudy vision within 1 hour of leaving hospital. I returned and had it checked. High pressure in the eye was the cause and eye drops were given to correct vision. It did work. I also have semicircular black area on right edge of the right eye. Doctor says it's the edge of the lens I'm seeing and it may go away with time but can't guarantee it. Also I saw a spot on eye that doctor says is lens edge again. It's only visible in the mirror. I have read other people say they have had these two issues also. My distance vision is much better. I still need reading glasses but that's better than bifocals.

Comment from: Norma w, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had cataract surgery in one eye 5 weeks ago and all fine except that I see different colors around me. Things are predominately yellow, but only from that eye. If I cover it and look through the other, colors are fine. This morning I came down to a purple glass jug on the draining board but it's brown! I tried holding my hand over the operated eye and jug was brown, but a beautiful purple when looking through the operated eye and through both. I wonder what has happened!

Comment from: Rokh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

In my family, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is inherited and the living habits of several relatives are now what I do as well. I would offer that frequent/multiple bowel movements is more accurate than diarrhea. Increased frequency is associated with diarrhea, but not always. One can still have diarrhea for other reasons. Basically, you have to be very careful of what you eat, drink, ingest as medication, etc. Read labels carefully; a change in ketchup caused several days problems while I was trying to figure out what went wrong. Vegan/vegetarianism is helpful. Vegan is not possible because of a heavy reliance on beans, legumes, spices, etc., which are problematic. The tradition of expresso cafe post-meal is helpful for digestion and one directional. Small amounts of coffee can avoid/ease much difficulty. If you l do not like black coffee, small amount of milk or cream will be neutralized by the coffee and avoid the lactose-intolerant symptoms and difficulties.

Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your cataract surgery.