Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Side effects

How has cataract surgery affected your vision?

Comment from: redtwinsmom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had my cataract surgery on both eyes in July 2015 two weeks apart. Prior to the surgery I could read without glasses and my eyes felt fine, but I drive at night and sometimes would see halos. After the surgery I was faithful using the 3 types of eye drops, not wearing makeup or using hairspray, etc. Now it is November and my sight is terrible. I can't see a thing without glasses anymore. My eyes feel fuzzy and itchy all the time and I'd say I am 75 percent worse than I was before the surgery. I am very unhappy about it. I went in for a 3 month checkup and the doctor was very arrogant, saying everybody needs glasses to read after cataract surgery. My 78 year old mother wore glasses for years, had cataract surgery, and then didn't need glasses anymore! I wonder if my surgeon used some cheap lens. This is a huge hit to my quality of life and I wish I'd never had it done.

Comment from: min, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I wore glasses all my life, had both cataracts removed within 1 month. I started having vision problems with right eye, so I went back to see the doctor for what I thought was a checkup and without telling me they took me into the room and before I knew it he had done laser procedure in right eye. It has been 2 years and I am still seeing an eye doctor with problems, floaters, blurry vision, and watery eyes. In my opinion the cataract doctor did something wrong and that is why I am having all these problems.

Comment from: Bertf, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 11

After my cataract surgery the vision from my right eye is good but the vision from the left eye is very distorted.

Comment from: john, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I had cataract surgery done on my left eye in October 2014. Then the right eye should have been in January 2015 but was cancelled. I have been waiting 10 months now, and the left eye lens has slipped so I am blind in my left eye. When I went to have the right eye done this month I was told they can't do it until the left eye is fixed. I am now waiting 6 weeks before appointment to get left eye fixed and then another 2 1/2 months to get right eye fixed. I am in total shambles, this has left me nearly blind in both eyes.

Comment from: Val leach, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I had cataract surgery on my left eye 2 days ago. My eye is very sore but I have amazing vision. I am very happy about that, but the surgery was awful; I didn't feel a thing which was brilliant but, could hear everything the surgeon told the junior what to do, and it freaked me out. I lay there for 45 minutes being able to hear all what was going on, and couldn't see anything. I won't go into detail about what I heard but it wasn't good and I think they should have given me earplugs or something; who wants to hear when they are cutting your eye open.

Comment from: Leda50, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I recently had cataract surgery on 8/18 for the left eye and 8/25 for the right eye. One eye was corrected for seeing objects near and one for distance. Much to my chagrin, my left eye became inflamed and I was placed on a steroid eye drop, 4-3-2-1 (drops per week) until 4 weeks were up. My time for the drops are over and my left eye is red and sore again. It's worse than the first time. I am so sorry that I did this. It's hard to read and my right eye is ok with the reading glasses. I am wondering if the left eye which was corrected for closeness is irritated because the glasses are just too much for it. I am in pain and miserable.

Comment from: GRACIE, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

After my surgery in my right eye I now have a spot in the center I can't see out of. I wish I didn't have the surgery. At least I could see a little of the whole picture.

Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.