Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Side effects

How has cataract surgery affected your vision?

Comment from: thelma, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had cataract surgery in August. Then in December I had double vision. It is terrible trying to see. I wish I had never had it done.

Comment from: Oskarvee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I've had poor vision since childhood. Most recent myopia correction was -8. I also have keratoconus related astigmatism. I had reduced contrast caused by the cataracts. The procedure of cataract surgery I would call uneventful and without significant trauma. I chose to have it done without sedation and relied on mental preparation. It was creepy certainly but neither frightening nor painful. Now it is one month since first eye, two weeks since second. In first, myopia is near fully corrected, second about 90 percent. Contrast improved. Astigmatism remains as expected. In spite of that I can see well enough to drive without glasses and have functional uncorrected vision for the first time in over 50 years. A continuing oddity in the first eye is a consistent angle light flare from points of bright light, most noticeable at night. For this I've not been able to get an explanation of cause nor a prognosis.

Comment from: FIXURFACE, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I had surgery for a right knee subluxation of the knee cap in 2004. I was told then it was a birth defect, and that my knee caps didn't have the proper groove to sit in. Today my left knee cap had a total dislocation. I went to play with my toddler son on the floor and rolled over to my stomach (carefully) and grazed my knee as I rolled and my cap moved to the side of my knee and was stuck there. I hollered and hollered and couldn't move my leg. I didn't know what to do. With the assistance of my brother we got it back some time later and now it is sore. I will call a doctor next week. A total dislocation has never happened to me before.

Comment from: redtwinsmom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had my cataract surgery on both eyes in July 2015 two weeks apart. Prior to the surgery I could read without glasses and my eyes felt fine, but I drive at night and sometimes would see halos. After the surgery I was faithful using the 3 types of eye drops, not wearing makeup or using hairspray, etc. Now it is November and my sight is terrible. I can't see a thing without glasses anymore. My eyes feel fuzzy and itchy all the time and I'd say I am 75 percent worse than I was before the surgery. I am very unhappy about it. I went in for a 3 month checkup and the doctor was very arrogant, saying everybody needs glasses to read after cataract surgery. My 78 year old mother wore glasses for years, had cataract surgery, and then didn't need glasses anymore! I wonder if my surgeon used some cheap lens. This is a huge hit to my quality of life and I wish I'd never had it done.

Comment from: min, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I wore glasses all my life, had both cataracts removed within 1 month. I started having vision problems with right eye, so I went back to see the doctor for what I thought was a checkup and without telling me they took me into the room and before I knew it he had done laser procedure in right eye. It has been 2 years and I am still seeing an eye doctor with problems, floaters, blurry vision, and watery eyes. In my opinion the cataract doctor did something wrong and that is why I am having all these problems.

Comment from: Ladybee72, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I had cataract surgery on my right eye in September and all went well. However, on November 2 I had the left eye done. It is 6 weeks later and I find myself with a very dry eye, burning and bloodshot all the time. I have been to the eye doctor twice and they say everything is good. I'm thinking not if it burns, especially in the morning. Also, it feels like a part glaze on part of the eye. Now that happens once in a while.

Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.