Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Side effects

How has cataract surgery affected your vision?

Comment from: Angel, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 22

My mother had a cataract operation on April 12, 2014. During the procedure the doctor had to put TCR, a ring to hold the lens because the ring which should hold the lens is already worn out. It was later on found out that the cause might have been a bad fall that my mom had years ago where her right eyes got hurt. So, after about a week, my mom"s eyes is still blurred. So now, the doctor is telling her to have an eye scan. I was not with them when she had the checkup but I wonder why this happened.

Comment from: underthepetal, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I'm 33 and most doctors think I got cataract from steroids. I had surgery in my right eye. I am nearsighted in one eye and far sighted in the surgery eye now. It's frustrating and hard to adapt so I still wear a contact in my left eye. To read or see near I wear reading glasses but that gets annoying taking off and on so I'm trying to just deal with it and hope it gets easier as I adapt. I feel as though eyelash is in my eye sometimes. I sometimes see a clear kind of glare off to side but the doctor said all that should heal in time. I can see the lens reflection in the mirror which is creepy. My friends see it in the light. They sometimes see it sparkle. That can take a while to go away. Distance vision is great but near vision sucks to read and type on phone, especially using one eye. All in all I think the pros outweigh the cons. I can see and that"s what matters.

Comment from: DelilahE, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had cataract surgery three weeks ago in my right eye. I now have perfect vision in that eye. My problem is the distorted vision and I am having to use my old glasses to dim down the perfect vision in my right eye. Since having the surgery I am continuously off balance and dizzy. I hope this will right itself once I have my left eye done which I also hope will correct the distorted vision. Overall I don"t regret having cataract surgery but am not enjoying the healing process.

Comment from: tarz, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 28

I had cataract surgery March 5 2014 on my left eye. Immediately after the surgery I saw a transparent irregular shape when I closed my right eye. It has been 3 weeks and I still see the shape. When I look outside the shape is green. Inside the house it is lavender. All the doctors will tell me is that I have macular degeneration which I already knew. They do not address the colored shape I am seeing. With both eyes open I do not see the shape only when I close my right eye.

Comment from: KAR, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I had cataract surgery on my left eye two day ago. Other than just a very little irritation, everything went fine. Procedure was a breeze and I see great at most distances already. Colors are bright and clear. I will be getting my right eye done in two weeks and looking forward to it. Choose your doctor carefully. It makes all the difference in the world.

Comment from: Chrissie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had cataract surgery done on both eyes in December 2013 a week apart. The surgeon set one lens to short vision and one to long vision. This was supposed to alleviate the need for glasses, which after 50 years of being short sighted sounded wonderful. My brain has taken three months to adjust. I had a severe neurological reaction to one of the drops, problems with severe glare and eye strain in the first 8 weeks. I now have 3 sets of glasses. At night I have a line that goes out from lights that makes night vision stressful. Procedure was a walk in the park but post-surgery, a nightmare. I had no choice due to very low vision. I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to have 2 different lens. Go with what your previous vision was.

Comment from: Boz, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 06

I've had one cataract surgery on my left eye 6 days ago. I'm wondering if anyone knows or has had symptoms like this. When I cover my right eye to see the progress of my left eye for clarity, eye sight, etc., I notice for example, if I look at a large wall clock or anything perfectly round, it gives me an oval or oblong, egg shape. When I turn my head horizontal the image is a circle. It seems that the lens was put in the wrong way. I wonder if this is possible or if this is just a symptom that I hope will go away with time. I can't drive with my head sideways!

Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.