Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Side Effects

How has cataract surgery affected your vision?

Comment from: jan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I was told that I had cataracts for many years. I finally decided to have the surgery first on the right and then on the left. Surgery went well except for a visual anomaly that no one knows anything about. I have many small dots in my vision when I look at the sky or any light colored flat surface. It is not floaters. Some of the spots look like tiny bubbles or circles. Some look like grey dots. They look like a pattern, not random like floaters. They are very distracting and cannot be explained. Also, my left eye is achy and dry. I didn't really have a problem with my vision before surgery, just did it thinking I would see better. I don't really see better and wish I had not done it.

Comment from: bp, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 04

I slipped on wet floor, did an overextended split, and pulled my hamstring. I have had severe cramping off and on since.

Comment from: Kathleen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had cataract surgery in September in one eye and now in November, I have horrible vision, much worse than before the surgery. I do not know what is wrong. The last I heard from my doctor is that he does not have any idea what to do. He thinks the healing looks fine. I am in despair. I advise anyone considering cataract surgery to ask themselves whether they are nearly blind so that they can risk the vision they have with nearly nothing to lose. If the answer is yes, then maybe the risk is merited.

Comment from: Alison, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I had monofocal lens implants 6 weeks ago. I was very short sighted and had a small cataract on each eye. I now have 20/20 vision in both eyes but do need to wear reading glasses, which is what I had to do when I have contact lenses, and that is fine. I opted for this rather than the multifocal lens as I drive at night and the multifocal can affect this. I occasionally get dry eyes which I fix with drops, but other than that am really pleased with the results. Everything is so clear, and colours much brighter. I do wear sunglasses when outside, but would have when wearing contacts anyway.

Comment from: rosalie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I reluctantly agreed to have cataract surgery after my doctor pressured me for two years. He told me if I waited any longer, the cataract could break apart, pieces could fall to the back of my eye, and I would need to have additional surgery by a retina surgeon to remove parts of the cataract. I have a condition in my eye similar to macular degeneration and had peripheral vision only, at time of surgery. After surgery, my vision is distorted; images in that eye bulge at the bottom of what I'm looking at. The surgeon referred me to a retina specialist who said the bulging could have been masked by the cataract. No, I did not have distorted vision prior to surgery. Very depressing.

Comment from: charlotte, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I had cataract surgery in both eyes. The first one came out great. But the doctor didn't try to find out my original complaint of something in my eye. He proceeded to do the surgery on my right eye. It got an infection and I am still getting ingrown hair out of my eye and cannot see.

Comment from: goodvision, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I have had cataract surgery (a few years ago) and think it was successful though I really don't notice much difference. Recently at a different doctor, she did a laser treatment on one of my eyes. She said my eyes were healthy. I wonder if this treatment was necessary or beneficial. I can't help but wonder if this procedure was overkill.

Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your cataract surgery.