Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Side effects

How has cataract surgery affected your vision?

Comment from: Barbara1955, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 14

The anger, anxiety, confusion, and acting out are the worst of the symptoms of my thyroid storm. I felt hungry all the time and craved sweets. The anxiety has gotten so bad that I can't turn off even to sleep. The high anxiety levels, also reversed the hunger cravings, making eating difficult, with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Comment from: rocky, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

Cataract surgery was one of the most painful things I have ever had done. It took over an hour. My doctor said the reason is because I have small eyes. I still have one eye to do. Vision is better, but I will still will need readers. Colors are much better. I'm just not looking forward to the pain again and I am very pain tolerant. Hope the future will find that everything will have been worth it.

Comment from: Helen Madden62, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I have had cataract surgery on my left eye on the 18th of September 2014. Nearly a year on I am getting visual aberrations. I have a floating orange light like a lantern going up the left side of my eye then back down again, I also have recently got what I can only describe as moving rotor blades like that on a helicopter. Vision has dropped and I am due to get second cataract removed in 2 weeks' time. I am frightened to get this done in case something is wrong with my left eye.

Comment from: Gab, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I had my 1st cataract operation 7 weeks ago on the better of my 2 eyes. The following day I went back for post-operative check by when I had just started taking the antibiotic and steroid drops. I could read the chart nearly all the way to the bottom, but by the next day it had deteriorated badly, and by the next day even worse. I spoke to the nursing care at the hospital and they told me to stop taking the drops and start the new prescription they had given me. So I got those which made it worse. So now after many visits to see the doctor who conceded I am totally allergic to all drugs, my eye sight is worse than ever, I am so mad.

Comment from: Susan, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 27

My mum had cataract surgery on both eyes in February 2015. Her vision is far worse than before, she describes it as looking through fog. The optician says nothing can be done and she has to put up with it; she has diabetes.

Comment from: lymphy, Published: July 28

I have follicular lymphoma, there is pain where the swelling is. It gives me headaches and earaches that verge on severe.

Comment from: Senior Mom, 55-64 (Patient) Published: April 27

I had cataract surgery approximately 6 weeks ago. I seem to overlook things right in front of me, for example, a bottle of medication, a store receipt. When I return to the area a few hours later, the thing I was looking for is right where I thought it should be. My son says it's because I'm not used to seeing so clearly.

Comment from: Gregory, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I had cataract surgery in my left eye when I was 26 or 27 (I know I am young). The surgery itself went fine however I started experiencing inflammation and from my observation my pupil was dilated in an odd shape. About a month after, it got so inflamed that I could barely see in that eye. Long story short, my doctor could not figure out what happened and said it was uveitis. Ever since my initial surgery, I was seeing an odd glare when I looked at light, as if the only top left corner of the light had a window like glare while the rest was normal. Three years later the lens popped out of place and you could see the leg stem sticking out of the pupil (gross). After three surgeries, one to replace the lens, then it falling out again, two, replacing it again with a bigger lens then falling out again, and three to take it out once and for all, I decided that I do not want a lens in my eye. Instead I use a Proclear thick, soft contact lens and finally see normal again. Yes, I have to use contact lenses but I see without any visual distortion. You do not need to have a lens inside your eye.

Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.