Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your cataract surgery.

Comment from: Lost vision, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 23

I had cataract surgery two days ago and I could not even see my hand after the surgery. I called the surgeon and he said it was a pressure problem and gave me a prescription to relieve the pressure. It did not work. I was driven to his office the very next morning and he said it could be the cornea was swollen as a result of the surgery. He gave me another prescription to reduce the swelling in the cornea. I am not very confident in this doctor; but don't know what else to do.

Comment from: kevin t., 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

I had laser surgery on both eyes and following that I had cataract surgery on my left eye. They told me that the right eye would need to be done as well but to wait another six months or so. Within 8 weeks of the left eye being done the pressure in my right reached 50. I ended up in hospital on a drip to reduce the pressure and after that they did the cataract surgery on my right eye. My problem is glare and also I had been suffering with burning eyes. It appears to be hay fever which I have never had before. My eyes are so sore and also my nose is running all the time. I have mentioned it to my surgeon and he suggested using moisturizing drops but they do little to help. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem.

Comment from: cycleman, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 25

My dad went to an eye doctor to get new glasses. He was told he had a cataract that should be removed. He was 85 and had macular degeneration and lost sight in one eye. After removal he now is nearly blind in both eyes! He can see only shapes if real close. After the unsuccessful surgery he was told it is only successful in less than 50 percent for those at his age. He said had he been told that before surgery he would not have had it. He is now coping with being blind the rest of his life. He told me he has lost faith in doctors and now does not go to them.

Comment from: Bad Cataract Result, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 19

Three years ago I went in for my second cataract removal with implant. I had a successful right eye cataract surgery done earlier. During the phacoemulsification process, the posterior capsule burst detaching the retina. After three years and five surgeries I am blind in my left eye. I would never have cataract surgery without a second opinion. Also, I had 20/30 before the surgery in the now blind eye. Folks, you better go slow on surgery if you can.

Comment from: D Jean, 75 or over (Patient) Published: August 20

My cataract surgery lasted longer than 10 minutes and felt like burning acid the whole procedure. I don't know what went wrong. Now I am having problem with my other eye in less than a month. I have black rings around my other eye, as well as a sagging swollen eye lid in the other eye. I am so afraid to have my other cataract done.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I had cataract surgery 5 weeks ago and still very sore, I can't touch my eyelid.

Comment from: Thunderlights, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I had cataract surgery two weeks apart in December 2016. Other than having problems from my eyes being dilated when I came home, I had no problems at all. I now do not need glasses or contacts. That was amazing to me since my prescription was very high before the surgery. I think that people who have bad experiences should have decided on a different doctor. I was lucky enough to have a surgeon who is at the top eye hospital in the nation. I am delighted with the surgery. I wish wonderful sights for all.

Comment from: june, 65-74 (Patient) Published: August 15

I have had 2 cataracts removed and was ok for 3 weeks. The doctor says all the drops are making my eyes extremely sore and extremely sensitive to light. I can hardly see. I am on my 4th set of drops and had anti-inflammatory tablets.

Cataract Surgery - Side Effects Question: How has cataract surgery affected your vision?