Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.

Comment from: Ann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I had cataract surgery last week. My second surgery caused my eye to blur. The doctor admitted something went wrong but did not know what. I did not request mono vision lenses but this turned out to be something like that. My optometrist said to give it 6 weeks to see if my brain adjusts to this lens. That's what I am doing. If it does not work I will see a different doctor. I am not happy. I paid $1600 per eye.

Comment from: cstig, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had cataract surgery on my left eye in April 22. The first night home I had to wear a shield over my eye. The very next day I went in for a very quick check up on the eye. The doctor said it looked good. Here is my concern. When I went to bed and turned off the lights, it was as if my left eye still had something over it. I felt like I had vision only in my right eye. In my left eye, which I had the surgery on, if I covered my right eye, the vision was dim and a bit blurry, not as clear and bright as my right eye. I"m wonder if this is temporary. I"m hoping it is.

Comment from: anneman, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have had glasses since the age of 4. I am severely nearsighted, probably about a -12 or so. During my 20s, I needed to have retinal surgery on both eyes within a month, due to retinal tears (they say this is because I am so nearsighted, the retina was stretched and tore). That surgery was successful. Meanwhile, in my late 30s, early 40s I was told I had slow growing cataracts. It finally got so bad that I couldn"t see at night. I went to have the surgery in the beginning of January for my right eye first. I think I was seeing 20/50 afterwards! Unfortunately, my other eye was still terrible. I couldn"t wear glasses and could not function. At my 4 day post operation visit, I begged the doctor to do my other eye as soon as possible. Usually you need to wait 4 to 6 weeks, he agreed to do it in 2 weeks. Now I have a light prescription for glasses, but can"t see up close when wearing them! I am now farsighted. It has been three months and still a little difficult to get used to. I can see without glasses, but not to drive or anything like that. I had a great doctor and a great experience. I guess I just need to wait the full three months until my prescription is final and go back and maybe get a pair of contacts with reading glasses and another pair of regular glasses. I was so frightened to have the first eye done, but really, it is about a 20 minute procedure and if you have the right doctor and hospital, it is a great experience. If you need to have this done, don"t hesitate to get a second, third or 4th opinion. If you find the right doctor, it will all be worth it.

Comment from: TNcarrob, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I had terrible results from cataract surgery. I received a multi-focal lens in right eye in 2012 for which I paid nearly $3000.00. Ever since, I have had a terrible halo which is very debilitating. I cannot look at any bright lights or bright contrasts. No more looking at Christmas lights, for example. I can no longer drive at night as street lights and car lights blind me.

Comment from: school nurse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I last posted on February 12 about my fears of having cataract surgery. My left eye had a toric IOL (intraocular lens) replacement on March 11th to correct its astigmatism. When I had the eye shield removed at 0730 the following day I was initially disappointed as my vision in the left eye was only corrected to 20/70 and my daughter"s was immediately corrected to 20/20. By noon of this very same day, my vision had cleared and I was seeing 20/20. I put a contact in my right eye and was floored by all the details, color and light I could now see! My vision was spot on for the first time in many decades. Tomorrow, Mar 25th, my right eye will have its cataract destroyed. I have no astigmatism in this eye so I will just be getting the standard lens inserted. I have decided to go with monovision, that is, undercorrect my right eye to preserve my reading vision as well as giving me good distance vision. I will let you know how it all turned out in the next couple of weeks. Wish me luck! The one thing I didn"t see mentioned in any of the posts is that while you are undergoing phacoemulsion, you see the most beautiful light show in your operative eye. For me it started out as 3 white rectangles positioned like 2 eyes and a mouth. The white rectangles began to swirl and developed into colors as they were swirling. Absolutely amazing and entertaining!

Comment from: Latrtatr, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

My husband had cataract surgery done on both eyes, a week apart. His vision has reversed, he is now nearsighted and can read anything. So now he will have to wear glasses all the time instead of just when he read. He was told this is normal for some. We are skeptical.

Cataract Surgery - Side effects Question: How has cataract surgery affected your vision?