Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your cataract surgery.

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I had cataract surgery in February of this year. From the day after, my eye felt like it had sticks in it. I probably should not have gone through with the 2nd one, but I was told it would go away. It is now May and both eyes still feel like they are swollen and sticking. It is awful. When I focus, it feels like they are constricting. I was told that one cannot be allergic to the implants, but I am not convinced. I am going for a second opinion as soon as I can get my records pulled. As for my vision, I am okay with the far sightedness but close up is worse than it was before. The surgery was unremarkable but very quick. If not for this constant uncomfortable sensation, I could put up with it. Wish I had researched before, but I am not seeing many comments about this kind of problem anyway.

Comment from: Lost vision, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 23

I had cataract surgery two days ago and I could not even see my hand after the surgery. I called the surgeon and he said it was a pressure problem and gave me a prescription to relieve the pressure. It did not work. I was driven to his office the very next morning and he said it could be the cornea was swollen as a result of the surgery. He gave me another prescription to reduce the swelling in the cornea. I am not very confident in this doctor; but don't know what else to do.

Comment from: kevin t., 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

I had laser surgery on both eyes and following that I had cataract surgery on my left eye. They told me that the right eye would need to be done as well but to wait another six months or so. Within 8 weeks of the left eye being done the pressure in my right reached 50. I ended up in hospital on a drip to reduce the pressure and after that they did the cataract surgery on my right eye. My problem is glare and also I had been suffering with burning eyes. It appears to be hay fever which I have never had before. My eyes are so sore and also my nose is running all the time. I have mentioned it to my surgeon and he suggested using moisturizing drops but they do little to help. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem.

Comment from: cycleman, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 25

My dad went to an eye doctor to get new glasses. He was told he had a cataract that should be removed. He was 85 and had macular degeneration and lost sight in one eye. After removal he now is nearly blind in both eyes! He can see only shapes if real close. After the unsuccessful surgery he was told it is only successful in less than 50 percent for those at his age. He said had he been told that before surgery he would not have had it. He is now coping with being blind the rest of his life. He told me he has lost faith in doctors and now does not go to them.

Comment from: Bad Cataract Result, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 19

Three years ago I went in for my second cataract removal with implant. I had a successful right eye cataract surgery done earlier. During the phacoemulsification process, the posterior capsule burst detaching the retina. After three years and five surgeries I am blind in my left eye. I would never have cataract surgery without a second opinion. Also, I had 20/30 before the surgery in the now blind eye. Folks, you better go slow on surgery if you can.

Comment from: Lori44, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I had uncomplicated cataract surgery 18 days ago. The day after surgery, my sight was really sharp and I was very happy. One week later, I had a post-operation appointment where dilating eye drops were used and since then my eyesight has not been nearly as good and now have halos around bright lights again as before surgery and distance vision not nearly as good as day after surgery.

Comment from: RON E, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I had cataract surgery done in both eyes within 2 weeks of each other. I can see great, even see better in the dark but my eyes start to water like I am crying. They also itch. My doctor says that should go away. It has been 6 weeks now.

Cataract Surgery - Side Effects Question: How has cataract surgery affected your vision?