Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.

Comment from: Bob, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 05

I had cataract surgery done on my left eye on Sept 11, 2015, and the right eye a month later. Left eye all went well. I had standard lens implant and it took 10 minutes. Next day I had very blurry vision. As each day passed I noticed marked improvement. After two weeks I was amazed; perfect vision in that eye. Not so for the right eye. After 3 weeks I have halos and light streaks emitted from post lamps. Nothing is really in sharp focus. Doctor says new glasses will cure this. I have to wait three more weeks for eye test. So, in short, I am very happy with left eye, have to adjust to the right eye. All in all I can see much better than before. Colors and brightness are greatly improved.

Comment from: Careodoe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I had cataract removal on both eyes and I see worse than before. Everything is blurry. I thought I was supposed to see better, it's been 2 weeks for one eye and one week for the other.

Comment from: Bec, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had my cataract surgery on September 3 with next procedure scheduled on September 17. After wearing glasses for over 59 years, I was able to see for the first time in my life through my left eye (my good eye). The procedure was a cinch and within 3 hours I was allowed to take off the protective shield (back on while napping or sleeping though). I was totally amazed at the improvement. I can see clearly for the first time in forever. Things do seem less magnified but clear, sharp and wonderful! Hubby removed the lens from my glasses because everything was horribly blurry. Now, other than a size difference in things I see, I'm 100 percent! Can't wait for my 'bad' eye to be done so I can get rid of my glasses for good. (I will probably have to use OTC readers for up close, but that is fine with me!) Procedure was painless and I was home after an hour and a half. Drops are a piece of cake.

Comment from: len, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I had the cataract surgery 7 years ago. From the first week I had double vision in one eye. The doctor has since had 4 attempts of rectifying it. Now this week after throwing more money at him because I can only see out of the bottom half of the eye, and the top is as if a black marking pencil has been drawn across it, I have been told sorry, but he can't do anything for me. He has said he will refer me to an eye specialist (this so called doctor is supposed to be a specialist). I have an appointment next Tuesday 21st July with another doctor. I feel that I will be throwing more money away. So far it has cost me nearly USD 10,000. These eye doctors should be held to account and bear the cost of any mistakes.

Comment from: clark, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I had lens replacement surgery for cataracts, 7 weeks ago to my left eye. I was never told that there are three different types of lenses. One is basic you can see to read but that's about it. Second is one you can see up to arm's length away but not distance. Third is the 1,800 lens that you can see close and far but you will see glares and halos. I was not told any of this until my visit on week 7. If you don't absolutely positively have to have this done don't do it. You cannot fix it, you are stuck with it. I don't need reading glass to read but I can't watch TV even with glasses. I am told that's the way it is. My eye will be like this forever and nothing went wrong, this is just the way it is. On week 7 is when I was told that's the way my vision will be.

Comment from: dianedmk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Before cataract surgery I had never worn glasses in my entire life and was assured that I still would not need to, except maybe for close-up reading. This is what happened. My doctor actually prescribed bifocals after the surgery. He obviously put the wrong lenses in my eyes. I had requested no-power lenses since I knew I didn't need any correction. Instead, he put in lenses powered for near-sightedness. I am very angry. He actually even charged me for the refraction too. I am still trying to get by with no glasses, for this should not have happened. I wish I had some recourse.

Comment from: LaDeeDa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I am 10 days out from first cataract surgery on left eye. I still have a feeling that my eye was fussed with, vision is no better and distance is more challenged. I had and paid for femto laser surgery to the tune of 1400.00 to 'make cut more specific and correct astigmatism. Rip off! During exam number 3 since surgery, doctor said I have an astigmatism in that eye. I am putting off the other eye as I cannot think of having 2 eyes as bad as the one that was done.

Cataract Surgery - Side effects Question: How has cataract surgery affected your vision?