Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.

Comment from: Concerned Wife, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 16

My husband had cataract surgery this morning and he said it was excruciatingly painful, so much so he is saying he doesn't want his other eye done. It's too soon to tell if it has improved his vision or not. I wonder why it was so painful if they numb the eye first.

Comment from: redmaj, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I am not happy with the results of my cataract surgery. First, I really didn't need the surgery, my cataracts were very mild. I was just thinking no more glasses or contacts! Wrong. I have only myself to blame for not asking more questions; my doctor did not counsel me about the surgery, pros and cons. I told him I wanted monovision like my contacts so I did not have to use reading glasses. I now need reading glasses which are a pain. He did not give me the monovision I asked for. I am very sorry I had this done. My eyes ache at times and at times one eye gets silver circles. Before the surgery, I could see great without glasses for close up. I cannot even see to put my makeup on now! I have to live with my decision and very upset with myself. I should have listened to a doctor who told me years ago 'don't cut on a healthy eye'. I would love to have the lenses taken out but that isn't an option. So, I say beware. I feel my doctor was only seeing dollar signs.

Comment from: Rick, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I have been legally blind from birth, I have some sight in one eye. I had cataract surgery, wrong lens put in the doctor said. I lost most of the vision I had, tried to find visual aids to help, but nothing helped. Doctor also found the capsule was loose. Also when trying to get a reading for the new lens, because of my eye movement they could not get a good reading and had to do it manually. It was wrong. I asked the doctor to do a second surgery and he said he could try to secure the capsule and get a correct reading if he put me asleep because my eye would stay still. The strange thing is he said he got the same reading. How can this be! He lowered the number on the new lens. I am still having problems.

Comment from: Peggy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I have been in good health, taking no medication, was near-sighted, and had no other eye problems. I had cataract surgery on the left eye 6 weeks ago. I was not given any information about lens, and didn't know what questions to ask, just expected that my vision would be like it was before the cataracts. That has not happened. Everything is still blurry with that eye, it doesn't focus well either near or far. I have to cover it when reading. The right eye still has a cataract, but it sees much better than the left one. I don't think I want to have the right eye done. The doctor says I'm doing fine, that it will just take time, but it seems like forever already. And I'm really tired all the time.

Comment from: francis, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I have multi focal lens implant after cataract surgery. I have macular degeneration and get shots in both eyes. When I wake up I have a blood film as I look down for about 5 minutes. I am 85. My vision is 20/30 in both eyes.

Comment from: LAVERNE, 75 or over (Patient) Published: July 06

I didn't realize I had to put drops in my eyes every 2 hours the day after cataract surgery. My eye is always irritated and it has been 3 weeks.

Comment from: Ypalos, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 12

I had cataract surgery on 3/17/16. Two days later my vision was 20/100. Today it is 20/400 plus the doctor said that now I have developed AMD (age-related macular degeneration). This is my left eye. I cannot see with my right eye.

Comment from: Amethystia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I had cataract surgery on my left on 2/16/16, and my right on 3/1/16. My left has healed amazingly. No pain, procedure was about 10 minutes (minus the time for the drops to dilate). I was in and out in about 35 min for both eyes. My right was 23 days ago. I have just noticed 2 or 3 floaters in my right. I will go in to see the doctor on Monday just to be sure and to check the retina. I am not worried at this point. An added advantage was that my glasses (distance) before the cataracts work perfectly with my 'new eyes'. I have had a great experience.

Cataract Surgery - Side effects Question: How has cataract surgery affected your vision?