Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.

Comment from: anneman, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have had glasses since the age of 4. I am severely nearsighted, probably about a -12 or so. During my 20s, I needed to have retinal surgery on both eyes within a month, due to retinal tears (they say this is because I am so nearsighted, the retina was stretched and tore). That surgery was successful. Meanwhile, in my late 30s, early 40s I was told I had slow growing cataracts. It finally got so bad that I couldn"t see at night. I went to have the surgery in the beginning of January for my right eye first. I think I was seeing 20/50 afterwards! Unfortunately, my other eye was still terrible. I couldn"t wear glasses and could not function. At my 4 day post operation visit, I begged the doctor to do my other eye as soon as possible. Usually you need to wait 4 to 6 weeks, he agreed to do it in 2 weeks. Now I have a light prescription for glasses, but can"t see up close when wearing them! I am now farsighted. It has been three months and still a little difficult to get used to. I can see without glasses, but not to drive or anything like that. I had a great doctor and a great experience. I guess I just need to wait the full three months until my prescription is final and go back and maybe get a pair of contacts with reading glasses and another pair of regular glasses. I was so frightened to have the first eye done, but really, it is about a 20 minute procedure and if you have the right doctor and hospital, it is a great experience. If you need to have this done, don"t hesitate to get a second, third or 4th opinion. If you find the right doctor, it will all be worth it.

Comment from: TNcarrob, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I had terrible results from cataract surgery. I received a multi-focal lens in right eye in 2012 for which I paid nearly $3000.00. Ever since, I have had a terrible halo which is very debilitating. I cannot look at any bright lights or bright contrasts. No more looking at Christmas lights, for example. I can no longer drive at night as street lights and car lights blind me.

Comment from: school nurse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I last posted on February 12 about my fears of having cataract surgery. My left eye had a toric IOL (intraocular lens) replacement on March 11th to correct its astigmatism. When I had the eye shield removed at 0730 the following day I was initially disappointed as my vision in the left eye was only corrected to 20/70 and my daughter"s was immediately corrected to 20/20. By noon of this very same day, my vision had cleared and I was seeing 20/20. I put a contact in my right eye and was floored by all the details, color and light I could now see! My vision was spot on for the first time in many decades. Tomorrow, Mar 25th, my right eye will have its cataract destroyed. I have no astigmatism in this eye so I will just be getting the standard lens inserted. I have decided to go with monovision, that is, undercorrect my right eye to preserve my reading vision as well as giving me good distance vision. I will let you know how it all turned out in the next couple of weeks. Wish me luck! The one thing I didn"t see mentioned in any of the posts is that while you are undergoing phacoemulsion, you see the most beautiful light show in your operative eye. For me it started out as 3 white rectangles positioned like 2 eyes and a mouth. The white rectangles began to swirl and developed into colors as they were swirling. Absolutely amazing and entertaining!

Comment from: sassy13562, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had cataract surgery on both eyes done - vision is much better, but when I look at the stars or any lights from a distance they appear as a kite shape and are beautiful colors of red, blue, green and yellow - I know that is not normal. The doctor said I had wrinkling in the capsule and he did laser on the left eye, but I still see the stars as lighted kites.

Comment from: Lou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had cataract surgery on my left eye on February 3, 2014, and I am not seeing well out of that eye. I am still using steroid drops 4 times a day. While under sedation I experienced pain in the eye and told the surgeon; he told me I couldn"t be. Well, I did! He tells me that my eye is now 20 to 30, but it is blurry most of the time. After surgery my eyelid was taped shut and a cuplike device was placed on my eye till the next day. When it was removed there was a lot of blood. I am questioning the surgeon about my experience but am not getting acceptable answers. I do not want to go through this again!

Comment from: janny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I had cataract surgery done on both eyes approximately 4 to 6 weeks apart and the right eye was always perfect but the left has been worse and if I try to see out of that eye alone it's almost impossible. The doctor says nothing is wrong with the lens.

Cataract Surgery - Side effects Question: How has cataract surgery affected your vision?