Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your cataract surgery.

Comment from: Michelle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I had cataract surgery in April (over 3 months ago) and floaters removed. The day after surgery I couldn't see anything and was completely blind in that eye. The surgeon told me that it was because I had swelling on the cornea because I have Fuchs uveitis. He put me on cortisone drops. A few weeks after the surgery they discovered that the lens was not focusing in the correct place and did another surgery to replace the lens. I still could not see anything and he continued with the cortisone drops. Then he said the swelling had gone down but I still have a blind patch in the middle of my eye which is not improving at all. So effectively I can't see out of that eye at all. I don't know if this will ever improve or I need to go to a different surgeon.

Comment from: Been there, done tha, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had cataract surgery on my right eye in April 2016 and on my left eye in September 2016. It takes about a whole year for each eye to get back to normal. At times it seemed like each eye changed daily. Dry eyes, halos, itching, blurriness, burning, unable to focus, all are part of the healing process. Doctors tell you that you'll be back to normal in a few days; nope, it'll take a good 10 to 12 months. But then here's the kicker: a new second cataract will form on your eye at some point and you'll need a non-surgical, laser-type procedure. This second cataract, I was told, is normal and happens to most people but is easy to remove in just a quick office setting. And then, it's possible that will grow back again and again. It never ends. I think some of these surgeries are scams. I would get second opinions if I had to do it over again.

Comment from: CONCERNED, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had cataract surgery in one eye in January and the 2nd eye in March of 2017. My eyes became scratchy. I was given many drops and the scratchy feeling went away. But I have had bloodshot eyes ever since, it is July 2017! I was told it I was allergic, I never had an allergy in my life. Well, it must be my medicines. I have been taking the medicines for 30 years. None of the drops take away the bloodshot look.

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I had cataract surgery in February of this year. From the day after, my eye felt like it had sticks in it. I probably should not have gone through with the 2nd one, but I was told it would go away. It is now May and both eyes still feel like they are swollen and sticking. It is awful. When I focus, it feels like they are constricting. I was told that one cannot be allergic to the implants, but I am not convinced. I am going for a second opinion as soon as I can get my records pulled. As for my vision, I am okay with the far sightedness but close up is worse than it was before. The surgery was unremarkable but very quick. If not for this constant uncomfortable sensation, I could put up with it. Wish I had researched before, but I am not seeing many comments about this kind of problem anyway.

Comment from: Lost vision, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 23

I had cataract surgery two days ago and I could not even see my hand after the surgery. I called the surgeon and he said it was a pressure problem and gave me a prescription to relieve the pressure. It did not work. I was driven to his office the very next morning and he said it could be the cornea was swollen as a result of the surgery. He gave me another prescription to reduce the swelling in the cornea. I am not very confident in this doctor; but don't know what else to do.

Comment from: Lori44, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I had uncomplicated cataract surgery 18 days ago. The day after surgery, my sight was really sharp and I was very happy. One week later, I had a post-operation appointment where dilating eye drops were used and since then my eyesight has not been nearly as good and now have halos around bright lights again as before surgery and distance vision not nearly as good as day after surgery.

Comment from: kevin t., 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

I had laser surgery on both eyes and following that I had cataract surgery on my left eye. They told me that the right eye would need to be done as well but to wait another six months or so. Within 8 weeks of the left eye being done the pressure in my right reached 50. I ended up in hospital on a drip to reduce the pressure and after that they did the cataract surgery on my right eye. My problem is glare and also I had been suffering with burning eyes. It appears to be hay fever which I have never had before. My eyes are so sore and also my nose is running all the time. I have mentioned it to my surgeon and he suggested using moisturizing drops but they do little to help. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem.

Cataract Surgery - Side Effects Question: How has cataract surgery affected your vision?