Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.

Comment from: pauline, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had my right eye operated on in August. The cataract surgery was really scary. I was awake, listening to what was being said. I lay rigid on the table for 45 minutes; so rigid I broke one of my teeth! Next 3 months were awful. I struggled to see as I was still waiting for left eye to be operated on, so it affected my balance as I could only see out of the eye that had been operated on. I just had left my eye operated on. I am much better now. This was faster too, took 30 minutes. Vision is looking good, but will still need reading glasses. I am getting dizziness and headaches but think this will pass. So, it is scary, but hopefully worth it.

Comment from: David M., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

After my cataract surgery I can't see up close. I'm a musician and can't read music without reading glasses. To make matters worse I have to have 3 different strengths. It's very frustrating.

Comment from: CaroleC, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I had cataract surgery on my left eye yesterday. I was scared to death but it wasn't bad at all and over quickly. After the surgery I could see from that eye, but it had a lot of blurriness all day. That must have been due to the super-strong eye dilation for surgery. After sleeping 7 hours last night (with the eye shield on), the blurriness is gone and the difference is miraculous! Now, I can hardly wait to get my right eye done next Thursday as scheduled. I chose the correction for distance only, with readers for close up. I knew from past experiences with contacts that for me this would work better than the multifocal glasses and monovision (one near, one far). I have always had more astigmatism than nearsightedness, but did not get the astigmatism (toric) lens either because the doctor said I didn't need it for some reason. Guess he was right because I can see pretty well from the eye right now, only 19 hours after surgery. I am so pleased with the results thus far.

Comment from: Bob, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 05

I had cataract surgery done on my left eye on Sept 11, 2015, and the right eye a month later. Left eye all went well. I had standard lens implant and it took 10 minutes. Next day I had very blurry vision. As each day passed I noticed marked improvement. After two weeks I was amazed; perfect vision in that eye. Not so for the right eye. After 3 weeks I have halos and light streaks emitted from post lamps. Nothing is really in sharp focus. Doctor says new glasses will cure this. I have to wait three more weeks for eye test. So, in short, I am very happy with left eye, have to adjust to the right eye. All in all I can see much better than before. Colors and brightness are greatly improved.

Comment from: Careodoe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I had cataract removal on both eyes and I see worse than before. Everything is blurry. I thought I was supposed to see better, it's been 2 weeks for one eye and one week for the other.

Comment from: dianedmk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Before cataract surgery I had never worn glasses in my entire life and was assured that I still would not need to, except maybe for close-up reading. This is what happened. My doctor actually prescribed bifocals after the surgery. He obviously put the wrong lenses in my eyes. I had requested no-power lenses since I knew I didn't need any correction. Instead, he put in lenses powered for near-sightedness. I am very angry. He actually even charged me for the refraction too. I am still trying to get by with no glasses, for this should not have happened. I wish I had some recourse.

Comment from: Bec, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had my cataract surgery on September 3 with next procedure scheduled on September 17. After wearing glasses for over 59 years, I was able to see for the first time in my life through my left eye (my good eye). The procedure was a cinch and within 3 hours I was allowed to take off the protective shield (back on while napping or sleeping though). I was totally amazed at the improvement. I can see clearly for the first time in forever. Things do seem less magnified but clear, sharp and wonderful! Hubby removed the lens from my glasses because everything was horribly blurry. Now, other than a size difference in things I see, I'm 100 percent! Can't wait for my 'bad' eye to be done so I can get rid of my glasses for good. (I will probably have to use OTC readers for up close, but that is fine with me!) Procedure was painless and I was home after an hour and a half. Drops are a piece of cake.

Cataract Surgery - Side effects Question: How has cataract surgery affected your vision?