Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.

Comment from: LaDeeDa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I am 10 days out from first cataract surgery on left eye. I still have a feeling that my eye was fussed with, vision is no better and distance is more challenged. I had and paid for femto laser surgery to the tune of 1400.00 to 'make cut more specific and correct astigmatism. Rip off! During exam number 3 since surgery, doctor said I have an astigmatism in that eye. I am putting off the other eye as I cannot think of having 2 eyes as bad as the one that was done.

Comment from: pallisade1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had cataract surgery on both eyes in the last few weeks. My lens were replaced with LenSx but I have had some horrible side effects. First, if you are nearsighted go with the nearsighted replacement lens. Same goes for farsighted people. My doctor took me from nearsightedness to farsightedness and he never told me that going from nearsighted to farsighted was going to cause my body to go into shock as my brain cannot handle the sudden change after being nearsighted or over 45 years. I have terrible headaches, nausea and my body shakes. He did not properly inform me about anything. Now I need to have corrective surgery to go back to nearsightedness. Now my doctor wants to discuss with me my options; this he should have done before the surgery. I don't trust him with my eyes now and have started contacting lawyers.

Comment from: TAK, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I'm so angry. I feel like I've been blinded by cataract surgery. My right eye sees up close. The left, dominant eye, was supposed to see far away. I feel like I'm looking through waxed paper. Three months ago, I walked into the doctor's office wearing glasses and seeing very well, except for night vision. Now I see nothing beyond about 10 feet.

Comment from: Rudhyar, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I had my left cataract removed two weeks ago. It was done as day surgery with a local anesthetic block on the left side of my face which immobilized my eye and prevented any pain. The surgery was no problem. My eye felt like it had sand in it for about five days but now feels fine. I have to put drops in my eye for 4 weeks. My vision is still blurry but is improving every day. My doctor told me it would be about 4 to 6 weeks before everything heals up, so patience is required. This is a fairly major surgery but because it is done as day surgery and under a local anesthetic I think people underestimate the healing time needed. Anyway, I have no regrets about having this done and will have the other eye done when necessary.

Comment from: dbw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I had cataract surgery in my right eye which was farsighted. The surgeon told me after surgery I might need readers. Now after surgery I am nearsighted! The surgeon says it's the way I healed and will need glasses. I wonder if the lens be removed and a new lens inserted.

Comment from: Lorri, Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I am a 54 year old diabetic and had my first cataract surgery on 10/14 and all went well. Then I had the YAG laser surgery and it got even better. I had my left eye done in 12/14 and have had problems. From January to April my eye has bled 3 times. I had to wait for it to clear for about 3 weeks. Then I had a laser done by a retinal doctor. Second time he gave me a shot in the eye and for the 3rd time I'm waiting to see him again. I want the YAG thinking it would help but my retinal doctor says it would undo what he has done. I think I don't have much to lose since my eye has bled 3 times now. The YAG would break up particles more and maybe they would be small and not tear my capillaries. I don't know which doctor to talk to. I was able to see with glasses before and had great close up vision. I wish I had waited for the doctor to tell me the side effects. Life was simple then.

Comment from: Ricky, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I had cataract surgery 4 weeks ago on my right eye. My distance vision is good, but I will need glasses for reading. My problem is that in bright light everything seams hazy, also looking in the bathroom mirror which has fluorescent lights, it is difficult to put makeup on. I hope in time this will clear up. The doctor examined my eye 3 weeks ago and said everything looks fine, but it doesn't feel that way. I am needing to blink often because there seems to be a blurry area toward the outer area of my eye.

Cataract Surgery - Side effects Question: How has cataract surgery affected your vision?