Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.

Comment from: Ben Z, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I had cataract surgery on the right eye 10 days ago and left eye 3 days ago. My right eye was blurry following surgery but has improved gradually each day since. The left eye is acting the same as the right and getting better every day. Wow. The world is brighter and bluer. I couldn't be happier. My ophthalmologist and optometrist have been very thorough throughout this whole ordeal. I plan on taking several weeks to recover and taking drops as directed. I now have better vision than I have ever experienced in my life. Find a doctor and staff that perform 20 procedures a week, it will increase your chances of an outstanding result. I love it.

Comment from: Mctess, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I had cataract surgery in my right eye on 6/19/14 and opted for the lenses that I would not need to wear glasses. I have problems, such as a feeling of something in my eye, which moves from top to bottom, also itching and burning. Doctor examined my eyes and he said the eye is clear, the vision is 20/20. He gave me Systane drops to use, they helped for a day and back to the same feeling. He prescribed allergy drops to use, they helped the itch, and the feeling of something in my eye is still there. I have to have the left eye done on 7/9 and I am afraid that I will have the same problem. I am going to call the doctor. And hopefully he can find the problem.

Comment from: david, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I had my left eye cataract removed 1 week ago. My color contrast and vision is now really, really good. I do have macular degeneration, vision before the operation described as 70% right and 50% left. The images in my left eye are darker than the right, I presume this is due to the macular degeneration. But I'm happy, I can now really see. My right eye vision is blurred and yellowy, and this, I considered was a good eye! Get your eyes checked annually.

Comment from: Ann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I had cataract surgery last week. My second surgery caused my eye to blur. The doctor admitted something went wrong but did not know what. I did not request mono vision lenses but this turned out to be something like that. My optometrist said to give it 6 weeks to see if my brain adjusts to this lens. That's what I am doing. If it does not work I will see a different doctor. I am not happy. I paid $1600 per eye.

Comment from: cstig, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had cataract surgery on my left eye in April 22. The first night home I had to wear a shield over my eye. The very next day I went in for a very quick check up on the eye. The doctor said it looked good. Here is my concern. When I went to bed and turned off the lights, it was as if my left eye still had something over it. I felt like I had vision only in my right eye. In my left eye, which I had the surgery on, if I covered my right eye, the vision was dim and a bit blurry, not as clear and bright as my right eye. I"m wonder if this is temporary. I"m hoping it is.

Comment from: anneman, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have had glasses since the age of 4. I am severely nearsighted, probably about a -12 or so. During my 20s, I needed to have retinal surgery on both eyes within a month, due to retinal tears (they say this is because I am so nearsighted, the retina was stretched and tore). That surgery was successful. Meanwhile, in my late 30s, early 40s I was told I had slow growing cataracts. It finally got so bad that I couldn"t see at night. I went to have the surgery in the beginning of January for my right eye first. I think I was seeing 20/50 afterwards! Unfortunately, my other eye was still terrible. I couldn"t wear glasses and could not function. At my 4 day post operation visit, I begged the doctor to do my other eye as soon as possible. Usually you need to wait 4 to 6 weeks, he agreed to do it in 2 weeks. Now I have a light prescription for glasses, but can"t see up close when wearing them! I am now farsighted. It has been three months and still a little difficult to get used to. I can see without glasses, but not to drive or anything like that. I had a great doctor and a great experience. I guess I just need to wait the full three months until my prescription is final and go back and maybe get a pair of contacts with reading glasses and another pair of regular glasses. I was so frightened to have the first eye done, but really, it is about a 20 minute procedure and if you have the right doctor and hospital, it is a great experience. If you need to have this done, don"t hesitate to get a second, third or 4th opinion. If you find the right doctor, it will all be worth it.

Cataract Surgery - Side effects Question: How has cataract surgery affected your vision?