Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.

Comment from: Saw the light!, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had cataract surgery on both eyes 12 days apart. I had worn glasses for over 50 years and now post-surgery I can see better than at any time in my life. I now have 20/15 vision in both eyes. I chose the mono focal lens as I am used to wearing glasses and thought the simpler the better. This has turned out to be a good decision for me as now I just need off-the-shelf reading glasses. I can now safely read road signs and better yet see the golf ball after a booming drive. -

Comment from: Jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I'm 72 years old and I had cataract surgery 5 weeks ago. First, I had the surgery in the right eye and 1 week later in the left eye. I have been miserable ever sense. My eyes feel like they have glass in them and my sight has not improved. I was told that my eyes were dry and I am putting ointment in them twice a day. The right eye is worse than the left eye. I used to be able to read without glasses and now I can't read at all. I had restor lenses put in and it cost $5,000. I am told I might need laser to correct the vision. I can't drive, can't do anything. If I had known this I would not have had it done.

Comment from: humewood, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I had cataract surgery on my right eye. Since then I am pretty a coward. I did not look forward to the surgery. It turned out not too badly in terms of experience. If you can tolerate hideous needles for the anesthetic being stuck in your hand that will be the worst of it. My vision in the right eye the next morning was 20/40. Vision was clear, no pain in the eye. I do not care for the blue cast. I call it my bionic eye. When I want to see a mellower world, I close the new eye and look out of my left eye. Has anyone else noticed this? My new IOL lense was some kind of acrylic monocular distance lense. I will need reading glasses but that is okay. I wish they would make a lense that makes things look warmer instead of cooler. Anyhow, just my opinion. I won't have the other eye done unless I go dead blind.

Comment from: Grateful2see, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I had cataract surgery on my right eye two days ago (the left will be done as soon as the right heals in full). Posterior subcapsular cataracts have hit at least one woman from every generation in my family, usually between the ages of 40 to 45. My mother had a horrific experience back in the early 1970s, and I was a little leery of having the surgery done. Well, times have really changed for the better! After living in a hazy, colorless prison for more than a year, I've gone from 20/200 to 20/40 in my right eye, so far. What really floored me was the flood of colors I experienced the moment the lens was placed and secured. I wasn't even out of the operating area before my jaw figuratively hit the floor. I don't know how I tolerated living with that hazy, dingy vision for so long. The procedure was quick and painless, just a small amount of scratchiness the first few hours, and that quickly knocked back with Tylenol and the eye drops prescribed. I'm eagerly awaiting the next surgery and have absolutely no fear. I would recommend the procedure to anyone needing it. Research all you can, ask questions, and don't hesitate to find a surgeon with whom you feel comfortable.

Comment from: Seeing Great, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I got cataracts from indoor tanning and not wearing eye protection. I have monovision implants and only wear glasses at night to drive. The surgery was a breeze. I could see great the same day. The good eye was done first, and one month later, the bad eye. I was absolutely amazed how I see. I wore contacts and bifocals for it seemed like forever. I started at 16 with glasses, and as I got older, the bifocals came. I couldn't see anything up close without glasses, and now I'm amazed what they can do. Easiest outpatient surgery I had. I was there about four hours with only mild anesthetic. I had no pain.

Comment from: Dixie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I had cataract surgery a couple of months ago and received a "new, improved" lens of some sort (paid $3,000 because my insurance wouldn't cover it). My vision in that eye has deteriorated day by day since, and my doctor keeps changing eye drops, believing I must be allergic to them. He says my cornea is scratched, though it was not before. He thinks the eye drops caused the scratching. I am terribly depressed and feel I am going blind. Can't read, can't drive unfamiliar streets because I can't read the signs.

Comment from: CMuchBetter, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

My cataract removal experience was fantastic. I had no discomfort at any time. My vision improved from 20/90 to almost 20/20 within 48 hours after surgery. I had a mild sedative only. I remained awake and alert throughout the surgery. It was outpatient surgery. I was released about three hours after arriving at the surgery center.

Cataract Surgery - Side effects Question: How has cataract surgery affected your vision?