Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.

Comment from: de;light, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had cataract surgery on my right eye and 2 weeks later did the left eye. Now I am still having blurred vision on the left eye and the surgeon says that the retina is swollen but it is fixable with medication.

Comment from: joyce, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I had cataract surgery done in my left eye in December. It went great and I was anxious for the right eye. With the left one I saw better the next day. It has been 3 days now and things are hazy. I'm wondering if that is normal. That was my best eye, but now so far my left eye is the best, and with glasses I can't read anything without the left eye open. I wanted to test it to see. I'm concerned since it was the best eye before and could read with glasses very well.

Comment from: babetoo, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had the worst eye done first, just about a week ago. The whole thing was a piece of cake. I can see much better already. The drops are a bit of a pain, but not really that big a deal. I can hardly wait to get the second one done. I have been what felt like half blind for about three years. I don't know what i was waiting for.

Comment from: Cynical, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had cataract surgery in my right eye 3 days ago with a monocular intraocular lens and I'm concerned about how much better my eye (my left eye will be done in less than 3 weeks) will get. The procedure itself wasn't an issue to me. I witnessed the whole procedure, and have done everything asked of me since (drops 2x/day, shield at night). The day after the surgery my vision in the replaced eye was 20/40, a far cry from what I've heard from others (20/20 immediately). I asked my ophthalmologist if I would have 20/20 vision in the 4 weeks that I've heard (and he told me) it might take, and he told me, "Yes." I have to say that the clearer (brighter colors vs. dull colors) is a plus. Right now I'm not happy with 20/100 in my left eye and 20/40 in my right eye. I have an appointment in 4 more days to see another ophthalmologist in the practice, so maybe he can reassure me that this will get better. My vision sucks right now.

Comment from: Saw the light!, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had cataract surgery on both eyes 12 days apart. I had worn glasses for over 50 years and now post-surgery I can see better than at any time in my life. I now have 20/15 vision in both eyes. I chose the mono focal lens as I am used to wearing glasses and thought the simpler the better. This has turned out to be a good decision for me as now I just need off-the-shelf reading glasses. I can now safely read road signs and better yet see the golf ball after a booming drive. -

Comment from: Jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I'm 72 years old and I had cataract surgery 5 weeks ago. First, I had the surgery in the right eye and 1 week later in the left eye. I have been miserable ever sense. My eyes feel like they have glass in them and my sight has not improved. I was told that my eyes were dry and I am putting ointment in them twice a day. The right eye is worse than the left eye. I used to be able to read without glasses and now I can't read at all. I had restor lenses put in and it cost $5,000. I am told I might need laser to correct the vision. I can't drive, can't do anything. If I had known this I would not have had it done.

Comment from: humewood, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I had cataract surgery on my right eye. Since then I am pretty a coward. I did not look forward to the surgery. It turned out not too badly in terms of experience. If you can tolerate hideous needles for the anesthetic being stuck in your hand that will be the worst of it. My vision in the right eye the next morning was 20/40. Vision was clear, no pain in the eye. I do not care for the blue cast. I call it my bionic eye. When I want to see a mellower world, I close the new eye and look out of my left eye. Has anyone else noticed this? My new IOL lense was some kind of acrylic monocular distance lense. I will need reading glasses but that is okay. I wish they would make a lense that makes things look warmer instead of cooler. Anyhow, just my opinion. I won't have the other eye done unless I go dead blind.

Cataract Surgery - Side effects Question: How has cataract surgery affected your vision?