Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.

Comment from: kknm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I just had cataract surgery; worst experience in my life. I saw the entire procedure and all the tools that were used. I had pain during the procedure and due to being heavily sedated I was unable to let the doctor know it. All I could do was groan. The medical staff responded that I was in a hospital. My recovery at home took a long time. I slept from 8:00 to 7:00 pm. I have nightmares about the surgery. Vision is great. Now to face surgery for the other eye in a week.

Comment from: Jwelhwel, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I had cataract surgery on my left eye one month ago. My right eye was done two weeks prior and the results was perfect. With my second eye, however, I am experiencing significant dysphotopsia, glare and starbursts around lights even in daylight, but significantly worse at night so as to make driving at night almost impossible. I also experience a strobe like flashing at the temporal side of that eye whenever light is on the left of my face. It is very burdensome as it gives me headaches and is disruptive when driving. The surgeon said it might go away in three to 6 months but if the flashing did not go away, he could do nothing about it. This has left me very depressed as, along with the starbursts and glare, my quality of life is severely diminished.

Comment from: lala, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I had cataract surgery 2 months ago and have had problems ever since. I went back to the doctor 3 times without appointment. He said it was healed, must be dry heat or something else. Last week I had so much pain I went to quick care, thank goodness, there was so much infection I could have died. I had 3 shots in my eye to stop the infection, now no one knows why, just saying from the surgery. I have spent so much in the other doctor's bills trying to find out, but I was healed. If you are not feeling right get to another eye doctor fast.

Comment from: Nessbess, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

Approximately 2 years ago I had cataract surgery in both eyes. My left eye is fantastic as is the vision in my right but I have been left with a feeling of something being in my right eye. I put eye drops in about every 2 hours (the drops people use for dry eye). I am going mad with this constant irritation. My specialist tells me to keep putting the drops in; not very satisfactory.

Comment from: Lynn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

My 'well known' doctor calculated my 1st surgery correctly but placed the far sighted lens in my right eye accidently; although I told him from the beginning I could not see distance. A week after surgery, I went back and his assistant told him he had inserted the wrong lens. I am told I cannot get this eye corrected by another surgery.

Comment from: Phillip s, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

My first cataract surgery was on May 5th, 2014. Everything was fine until I removed the patch from my eye, it was blurry and dim. In July I want back for the second surgery that was done by laser, but something was still wrong with my vision. Not only is it dim and blurry, it also has a halo that makes it hard to drive at night that is very debilitating. I'm going to see a different doctor.

Comment from: psbsr, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 01

In 2011, I had cataract surgery on my good eye and after a few months of good vision, my vision deteriorated. Over 3 years I saw 2 optometrists and 4 ophthalmologists. My vision had gone from 20/25 to 20/50. I self-diagnosed that I had PCO (posterior capsule opacity) or 2nd cataracts. I went to another Ophthalmologist who performed YAG laser same day and restored my vision.

Comment from: Josie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had cataract surgery in my first eye done three weeks ago, and amazed at the results! I constantly put my hand over my new eye to see the difference because it's so much better. Sort of like looking through a really dirty window. The second eye was done a couple of days ago and vision is great! I had one eye set for distance, and one for midrange, loving it. I can read or drive with no problem, and vision is still expected to improve. Best thing ever.

Cataract Surgery - Side effects Question: How has cataract surgery affected your vision?