Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.

Comment from: Phillip s, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

My first cataract surgery was on May 5th, 2014. Everything was fine until I removed the patch from my eye, it was blurry and dim. In July I want back for the second surgery that was done by laser, but something was still wrong with my vision. Not only is it dim and blurry, it also has a halo that makes it hard to drive at night that is very debilitating. I'm going to see a different doctor.

Comment from: psbsr, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 01

In 2011, I had cataract surgery on my good eye and after a few months of good vision, my vision deteriorated. Over 3 years I saw 2 optometrists and 4 ophthalmologists. My vision had gone from 20/25 to 20/50. I self-diagnosed that I had PCO (posterior capsule opacity) or 2nd cataracts. I went to another Ophthalmologist who performed YAG laser same day and restored my vision.

Comment from: Josie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had cataract surgery in my first eye done three weeks ago, and amazed at the results! I constantly put my hand over my new eye to see the difference because it's so much better. Sort of like looking through a really dirty window. The second eye was done a couple of days ago and vision is great! I had one eye set for distance, and one for midrange, loving it. I can read or drive with no problem, and vision is still expected to improve. Best thing ever.

Comment from: Jim, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 02

I had cataract surgery on both eyes primarily to get rid of the fog from scattered light most notable in night driving. The surgery and recovery went fine with no problems. However, now I have bright streaks of light emanating from bright point light sources. Night driving is worse than before. My doctor so far has no answer as to cause or corrective action.

Comment from: disappointedpatient, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

After having cataract surgery on both eyes, I wished now I would have had the same doctor perform both surgeries. Since my 2nd surgery back in September 2013, my left eye has felt as if scar tissue or some growth has formed. Though I am just on the patient end of this, I know what I feel on a daily basis. Correct me if I am wrong, but is it a normal procedure to bring the patient out and awake midway through the operation, feeling the tugging affect, scraping affect, plus whatever else is involved. The first doctor didn't... why would the second doctor!

Comment from: Ben Z, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I had cataract surgery on the right eye 10 days ago and left eye 3 days ago. My right eye was blurry following surgery but has improved gradually each day since. The left eye is acting the same as the right and getting better every day. Wow. The world is brighter and bluer. I couldn't be happier. My ophthalmologist and optometrist have been very thorough throughout this whole ordeal. I plan on taking several weeks to recover and taking drops as directed. I now have better vision than I have ever experienced in my life. Find a doctor and staff that perform 20 procedures a week, it will increase your chances of an outstanding result. I love it.

Comment from: Mctess, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I had cataract surgery in my right eye on 6/19/14 and opted for the lenses that I would not need to wear glasses. I have problems, such as a feeling of something in my eye, which moves from top to bottom, also itching and burning. Doctor examined my eyes and he said the eye is clear, the vision is 20/20. He gave me Systane drops to use, they helped for a day and back to the same feeling. He prescribed allergy drops to use, they helped the itch, and the feeling of something in my eye is still there. I have to have the left eye done on 7/9 and I am afraid that I will have the same problem. I am going to call the doctor. And hopefully he can find the problem.

Comment from: david, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I had my left eye cataract removed 1 week ago. My color contrast and vision is now really, really good. I do have macular degeneration, vision before the operation described as 70% right and 50% left. The images in my left eye are darker than the right, I presume this is due to the macular degeneration. But I'm happy, I can now really see. My right eye vision is blurred and yellowy, and this, I considered was a good eye! Get your eyes checked annually.

Cataract Surgery - Side effects Question: How has cataract surgery affected your vision?