Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.

Comment from: KOP, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I am a very healthy, active woman who had cataract surgery in my left eye 3 weeks ago. Ever since the surgery I have had diagonal glare which makes night driving difficult. Every bright light (tail lights, head lights, street lights, glare bouncing off other cars) creates a 45 deg angle light which goes up to the rooftops from the light source, and down to the ground, extending in front of a light source for many yards. This is not a halo or starburst; it is a very precise diagonal line, and every bright light has one. This is also true for glare on sunny days, but at least I can wear sunglasses. This glare is showing no signs of going away. (I keep hoping.) To correct the glare (a form of positive dysphotopsia) surgeon wants to do the YAG laser procedure which punches a hole in the back of the posterior capsule. While many people report on various forums this procedure helped reduce their dysphotopsia glare problems, I have also read many times including in a recently published textbook of ophthalmology, that the YAG procedure can itself cause problems with glare, create floaters, and it will always make explanting the IOL more difficult and risky, if an explant is needed. I will be getting a second opinion from a teaching hospital. I think you must do cataract surgery only when you really need it; and find the best doctor you can. I was persuaded by friends who raved about how simple it was and problem free. True most of the time, I'm sure. But about 30% have severe glare problems after the surgery that make their glare problems before the surgery seem like nothing.

Comment from: Jfshakopee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I had cataract surgery one week ago on my right eye. I have had double vision from the day of surgery and cannot see as well as the doctor led me to believe I would. I did have some swelling in the eye and increased the Pred Forte eye drops as instructed. I will return tomorrow for one-week check-up. I realize that healing takes time and I am trying to be patient. I am unable to enjoy any of my hobbies right now - reading, crossword puzzles, photography - so I'm having a difficult time. I hope the healing continues and I will post an update. I'm supposed to have the left eye done in one week, but may have to postpone.

Comment from: OldEngineer, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I am 64 year old male and had cataract surgery (lens implants) last winter and early spring. First one eye and then the next. The surgery was performed as an outpatient at a local hospital. The surgery was simple and relatively painless, I could tell they were messing around with my eyes, but there was really no pain per se. My vision improved almost immediately and within a week I was seeing the brilliance of colors and details like I had remembered. Six months later I am as pleased as I could be, my vision is excellent, with the exception, I still need glasses to read very fine lettering (like on medication bottles). It was worth doing for me!

Comment from: LYNDAG, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I had cataract surgeries a few years ago. At first I was ecstatic, I've worn glasses since I was 9 years old. My vision suddenly clouded and progressively got worse. After the cataract surgery I was amazed going from 20/200 in one eye and 20/400 in the other to 20/20 and 20/25. I recently noticed my vision faltering and now need glasses to read or do close work. I can still see distance but not as well as before, I also had a double stigmatism. Do cataracts grow back or are my eyes getting worse because I am 64 and have diabetes - these will be the questions I will ask my family doctor next time I have an appointment.

Comment from: saranya, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have undergone phacoemulsion (cataract surgery) of my right eye with an intraocular lens. Totally painless procedure. I enjoyed the whole surgery. Within 2 hours I was back home. The eye drops need to be put every 2 hours. Except that I was totally normal with all my work and activities. I even travelled over the weekend. The world is bright. First 2 days with protective glasses I did not realize it. Now I care more for my own eyes rather than the specs. I don't need them anymore.

Comment from: janny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I had cataract surgery done on both eyes approximately 4 to 6 weeks apart and the right eye was always perfect but the left has been worse and if I try to see out of that eye alone it's almost impossible. The doctor says nothing is wrong with the lens.

Cataract Surgery - Side effects Question: How has cataract surgery affected your vision?