Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your cataract surgery.

Comment from: Paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had total knee replacement of my right knee on 10/27/15. This is so much more than I expected. I am now able to sleep better and turn on my side. My main problem is nerve damage on one side of my knee cap. I'm now on medication and I massage the area constantly. I have a doctor's appointment next week and hope this is not a permanent condition. I wonder if anyone else has had this nerve damage problem. The symptoms are extreme sensitivity and burning.

Comment from: Wiserat65, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

In 2015, I had retina surgery in April, then cataract surgery in July, both on my right eye. I just don't feel like it was successful. I still can't see clearly, can't see to drive at night. They keep saying it looks good. I don't know what to think.

Comment from: Donna B, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had a lot of problems after cataract surgery with pain, blurriness, burning, stinging, and watering of eyes. It was all due to side effects of the medicated eye drops you take for 2 weeks after the procedures. When I stopped them everything was gone and my vision great; even the headaches it causes (which I never usually get) went away.

Comment from: LadyCantC, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I had cataract surgery on both eyes just weeks ago. I did discuss with my doctor getting premium lenses, but I decided to get standard lenses for distance. I knew that I may need reading glasses after. However, I did not know that I was going to struggle with bad close vision this much. I can't see my watch on my wrist, myself in the mirror to apply makeup, my phone, read from my iPad, or even cook or feed my dogs without reading glasses. When I use reading glasses, I can't see at a distance. My world has changed to the worse. I could see perfectly close before and had glasses for distance. Now I can't function in my everyday life without putting reading glasses on and taking them off. If you are getting cataract surgery, be sure you understand the options and when they tell you that you will need reading glasses, it means that you will not be able to see anything close up. If you can afford it, get the premium lenses that Medicare does not pay for.

Comment from: pauline, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had my right eye operated on in August. The cataract surgery was really scary. I was awake, listening to what was being said. I lay rigid on the table for 45 minutes; so rigid I broke one of my teeth! Next 3 months were awful. I struggled to see as I was still waiting for left eye to be operated on, so it affected my balance as I could only see out of the eye that had been operated on. I just had left my eye operated on. I am much better now. This was faster too, took 30 minutes. Vision is looking good, but will still need reading glasses. I am getting dizziness and headaches but think this will pass. So, it is scary, but hopefully worth it.

Comment from: David M., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

After my cataract surgery I can't see up close. I'm a musician and can't read music without reading glasses. To make matters worse I have to have 3 different strengths. It's very frustrating.

Comment from: CaroleC, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I had cataract surgery on my left eye yesterday. I was scared to death but it wasn't bad at all and over quickly. After the surgery I could see from that eye, but it had a lot of blurriness all day. That must have been due to the super-strong eye dilation for surgery. After sleeping 7 hours last night (with the eye shield on), the blurriness is gone and the difference is miraculous! Now, I can hardly wait to get my right eye done next Thursday as scheduled. I chose the correction for distance only, with readers for close up. I knew from past experiences with contacts that for me this would work better than the multifocal glasses and monovision (one near, one far). I have always had more astigmatism than nearsightedness, but did not get the astigmatism (toric) lens either because the doctor said I didn't need it for some reason. Guess he was right because I can see pretty well from the eye right now, only 19 hours after surgery. I am so pleased with the results thus far.

Cataract Surgery - Side Effects Question: How has cataract surgery affected your vision?