Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.

Comment from: len, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I had the cataract surgery 7 years ago. From the first week I had double vision in one eye. The doctor has since had 4 attempts of rectifying it. Now this week after throwing more money at him because I can only see out of the bottom half of the eye, and the top is as if a black marking pencil has been drawn across it, I have been told sorry, but he can't do anything for me. He has said he will refer me to an eye specialist (this so called doctor is supposed to be a specialist). I have an appointment next Tuesday 21st July with another doctor. I feel that I will be throwing more money away. So far it has cost me nearly USD 10,000. These eye doctors should be held to account and bear the cost of any mistakes.

Comment from: clark, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I had lens replacement surgery for cataracts, 7 weeks ago to my left eye. I was never told that there are three different types of lenses. One is basic you can see to read but that's about it. Second is one you can see up to arm's length away but not distance. Third is the 1,800 lens that you can see close and far but you will see glares and halos. I was not told any of this until my visit on week 7. If you don't absolutely positively have to have this done don't do it. You cannot fix it, you are stuck with it. I don't need reading glass to read but I can't watch TV even with glasses. I am told that's the way it is. My eye will be like this forever and nothing went wrong, this is just the way it is. On week 7 is when I was told that's the way my vision will be.

Comment from: LaDeeDa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I am 10 days out from first cataract surgery on left eye. I still have a feeling that my eye was fussed with, vision is no better and distance is more challenged. I had and paid for femto laser surgery to the tune of 1400.00 to 'make cut more specific and correct astigmatism. Rip off! During exam number 3 since surgery, doctor said I have an astigmatism in that eye. I am putting off the other eye as I cannot think of having 2 eyes as bad as the one that was done.

Comment from: pallisade1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had cataract surgery on both eyes in the last few weeks. My lens were replaced with LenSx but I have had some horrible side effects. First, if you are nearsighted go with the nearsighted replacement lens. Same goes for farsighted people. My doctor took me from nearsightedness to farsightedness and he never told me that going from nearsighted to farsighted was going to cause my body to go into shock as my brain cannot handle the sudden change after being nearsighted or over 45 years. I have terrible headaches, nausea and my body shakes. He did not properly inform me about anything. Now I need to have corrective surgery to go back to nearsightedness. Now my doctor wants to discuss with me my options; this he should have done before the surgery. I don't trust him with my eyes now and have started contacting lawyers.

Comment from: TAK, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I'm so angry. I feel like I've been blinded by cataract surgery. My right eye sees up close. The left, dominant eye, was supposed to see far away. I feel like I'm looking through waxed paper. Three months ago, I walked into the doctor's office wearing glasses and seeing very well, except for night vision. Now I see nothing beyond about 10 feet.

Comment from: Rudhyar, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I had my left cataract removed two weeks ago. It was done as day surgery with a local anesthetic block on the left side of my face which immobilized my eye and prevented any pain. The surgery was no problem. My eye felt like it had sand in it for about five days but now feels fine. I have to put drops in my eye for 4 weeks. My vision is still blurry but is improving every day. My doctor told me it would be about 4 to 6 weeks before everything heals up, so patience is required. This is a fairly major surgery but because it is done as day surgery and under a local anesthetic I think people underestimate the healing time needed. Anyway, I have no regrets about having this done and will have the other eye done when necessary.

Comment from: dbw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I had cataract surgery in my right eye which was farsighted. The surgeon told me after surgery I might need readers. Now after surgery I am nearsighted! The surgeon says it's the way I healed and will need glasses. I wonder if the lens be removed and a new lens inserted.

Cataract Surgery - Side effects Question: How has cataract surgery affected your vision?