Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.

Comment from: Kokeshi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I had cataract surgery on my right eye last June. I lost my near vision after having the surgery. I can no longer see my face, my finger nails, recipes, seeds for sowing in my garden. I see double of everything up to 3 feet away from me. My far vision is okay, but certainly not great. Today, I had my left eye done. This was supposed to leave my near vision intact. Five hours after surgery and I can see light and dark, but no objects. It's fuzzier than before the surgery.

Comment from: Judirod, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had cataract surgery done on my left eye 5 days ago. It was a piece of cake and I can read the house number across the street. But I just noticed tonight that I have a 45 degree light angle going across my eye. It's the same angle that was described by another lady. Anyway, I see the doctor in 2 days, so I hope it's not serious.

Comment from: eeppie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had cataract surgery on my left eye 10 days ago, then on my right eye a week later. I was very pleased after the left eye surgery for I could see distance without the aid of glasses for the first time since I was a child. I looked forward to getting the right eye done. But my vision is miserable right now. I had one eye corrected for distance, the other for close up but I cannot see either close up or distance. I am hoping with time things will improve. Right now I am wearing contact lens for distance and reader glasses for near but neither vision is good. The surgery experience was great and my surgeon has been nothing short of wonderful. These are just the risks we take when we agree to go under the knife I guess!

Comment from: Ron, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 16

I had LASIK about 14 years ago and all was well until 3 years ago. Little by little vision deteriorated to 20/40 at best. I had surgery on my dominant eye in mid-December and the procedure went well. My concern is that the vision, while clear, is probably 20/50. My concern is whether it's maxed out or if it will improve. I am due to have the other eye done in a few weeks and hoping that results improve. Tough acclimatizing to one eye surgically enhanced and wearing prescription lens in other eye. I'm told that LASIK limits the lens selection. Hopefully, things will work out.

Comment from: Dale, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I had cataract surgery on January 2, 2014. It was my left eye. I had only used glasses for driving. I could see fine otherwise. It was stated that now I would need glasses for reading. I questioned the doctor. He said he could increase my ability to read. So now I can read well but my near to far distance is fuzzy and poor. Apparently both far and near cannot be improved without glasses. I was better off before surgery and am sorry I had it done.

Comment from: Charlemagne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I had cataract surgery recently and had a lens for close-up vision implanted. I made an uninformed mistake, i.e., when I was asked what kind of lens I wanted - for distance or close up - I received no explanation regarding the difference. I am now feeling overwhelmed by the fact that my world is now very limited, because everything I look at beyond what is immediately in front of me is a blur. I am afraid that I am going to have an accident while driving.

Comment from: KOP, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I am a very healthy, active woman who had cataract surgery in my left eye 3 weeks ago. Ever since the surgery I have had diagonal glare which makes night driving difficult. Every bright light (tail lights, head lights, street lights, glare bouncing off other cars) creates a 45 deg angle light which goes up to the rooftops from the light source, and down to the ground, extending in front of a light source for many yards. This is not a halo or starburst; it is a very precise diagonal line, and every bright light has one. This is also true for glare on sunny days, but at least I can wear sunglasses. This glare is showing no signs of going away. (I keep hoping.) To correct the glare (a form of positive dysphotopsia) surgeon wants to do the YAG laser procedure which punches a hole in the back of the posterior capsule. While many people report on various forums this procedure helped reduce their dysphotopsia glare problems, I have also read many times including in a recently published textbook of ophthalmology, that the YAG procedure can itself cause problems with glare, create floaters, and it will always make explanting the IOL more difficult and risky, if an explant is needed. I will be getting a second opinion from a teaching hospital. I think you must do cataract surgery only when you really need it; and find the best doctor you can. I was persuaded by friends who raved about how simple it was and problem free. True most of the time, I'm sure. But about 30% have severe glare problems after the surgery that make their glare problems before the surgery seem like nothing.

Cataract Surgery - Side effects Question: How has cataract surgery affected your vision?