Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.

Comment from: New Patient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I had cataract surgery in July 2015 on both eyes and could see very clearly immediately after. And in November my vision started to get awful. I went back to the surgeon and found out my retina was swollen. Four different eye drops later, a shot in my eyes and a prescription for anti-inflammatory medicine and I still have vision problems. I hate I ever had the surgery.

Comment from: Jennifer54, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I recently had my right eye operated on with cataract surgery, following my left eye exactly one year ago. I was initially very happy with the results of my left eye, and thought the right eye was as successful. But, after being examined by my optometrist, it was shown to me how lopsided my vision was. I also had (and still do) silver arcs or sometimes full circumferences appearing in my right eye, plus dry and itchy eyes. My surgeon was arrogant, belittling me. I figure that there is a clause in the operation contract protecting the doctor. I hope that these symptoms settle with time.

Comment from: Paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had lens replacement last September in both eyes. My left eye feels redundant, can't see distance or up close. It was better before I had the cataract surgery done and my eyes are just so tired all the time.

Comment from: Paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had total knee replacement of my right knee on 10/27/15. This is so much more than I expected. I am now able to sleep better and turn on my side. My main problem is nerve damage on one side of my knee cap. I'm now on medication and I massage the area constantly. I have a doctor's appointment next week and hope this is not a permanent condition. I wonder if anyone else has had this nerve damage problem. The symptoms are extreme sensitivity and burning.

Comment from: Wiserat65, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

In 2015, I had retina surgery in April, then cataract surgery in July, both on my right eye. I just don't feel like it was successful. I still can't see clearly, can't see to drive at night. They keep saying it looks good. I don't know what to think.

Comment from: Donna B, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had a lot of problems after cataract surgery with pain, blurriness, burning, stinging, and watering of eyes. It was all due to side effects of the medicated eye drops you take for 2 weeks after the procedures. When I stopped them everything was gone and my vision great; even the headaches it causes (which I never usually get) went away.

Comment from: LadyCantC, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I had cataract surgery on both eyes just weeks ago. I did discuss with my doctor getting premium lenses, but I decided to get standard lenses for distance. I knew that I may need reading glasses after. However, I did not know that I was going to struggle with bad close vision this much. I can't see my watch on my wrist, myself in the mirror to apply makeup, my phone, read from my iPad, or even cook or feed my dogs without reading glasses. When I use reading glasses, I can't see at a distance. My world has changed to the worse. I could see perfectly close before and had glasses for distance. Now I can't function in my everyday life without putting reading glasses on and taking them off. If you are getting cataract surgery, be sure you understand the options and when they tell you that you will need reading glasses, it means that you will not be able to see anything close up. If you can afford it, get the premium lenses that Medicare does not pay for.

Comment from: pauline, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had my right eye operated on in August. The cataract surgery was really scary. I was awake, listening to what was being said. I lay rigid on the table for 45 minutes; so rigid I broke one of my teeth! Next 3 months were awful. I struggled to see as I was still waiting for left eye to be operated on, so it affected my balance as I could only see out of the eye that had been operated on. I just had left my eye operated on. I am much better now. This was faster too, took 30 minutes. Vision is looking good, but will still need reading glasses. I am getting dizziness and headaches but think this will pass. So, it is scary, but hopefully worth it.

Cataract Surgery - Side effects Question: How has cataract surgery affected your vision?