Patient Comments: Cat Scratch Disease - Experience

Please describe your experience with cat scratch disease.

Comment from: marise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had cat scratch disease when I was in my 20s. A kitten scratched my foot and it swelled 3 times its normal size to the point of breaking the skin. I never had another problem till last night, at the age of 61, when my older cat poked me with his nail on my arm. The arm is discolored, swollen, and very painful to the touch. Calling doctor this morning.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I was diagnosed with cat scratch disease in 2003. They said it was dormant in my body since I was a kid and I had lots of cats. It could have been caused by a flea. I had meningitis and encephalitis. I was diagnosed with MS (multiple sclerosis) in 2008 and now they're saying that the bartonella disease did all the damage that I have.

Comment from: GreenElbow, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

My doctor said my cat scratch disease was caused from cats who were full of fleas. Consequently, the biting and chewing of the fleas causes cats to get flea blood in their system. When the cat bites or scratches it spread the disease to humans. I've had it twice, once as a kid, once as an adult. I just remember feeling really sick, but ran a low grade fever. Antibiotics helped the second time, but I had penicillin shots as a kid, because that's all we had at the time.

Comment from: lojay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I was diagnosed with having cat scratch fever (CSF) in 1979 when no one really had heard the term other than from a Ted Nugent song. My lymph nodes under one arm were so inflamed and the pain intolerable that I couldn"t move my arm at all. One doctor wanted to lance the infected site and another doctor wanted to remove the nodes all together. I was hospitalized for four days with antibiotics and tests being administered for every known infection from A to Z. Finally, a specialist diagnosed and treated it as CSF. The lump gradually decreased in size and after 3 weeks, had disappeared.

Comment from: catbitten, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I showed none of the typical symptoms of cat scratch disease like swollen lymph, fatigue, fever, etc. However I did get these extremely itchy rashes, exanthem I"m told, all over my body. I have had no prior history of any kind of allergies whatsoever.

Comment from: judyd, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I accidently trod on the cat, she wrapped her paws around my legs digging in her claws until I raised my foot. There were two punctures on my ankle, which after a couple of weeks are now the size of a 1 pence. I can see there is an infection there although the wound is dry and not weeping. After reading about results of cat's claws and bites and seeing mine hasn't improved I'm getting rather concerned about cat scratch fever disease.

Comment from: kitty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was diagnosed with cat scratch fever through blood work. I had very painful enlarged lymph nodes under the arm a couple of weeks after the kitten scratched my arm. The first sign was a sore on my upper arm. Eight years later these nodes still cause tenderness.

Cat Scratch Disease - Reducing Risk Question: In what ways do you try to prevent your cats from scratching people?