Patient Comments: Cat Scratch Disease - Experience

Please describe your experience with cat scratch disease.

Comment from: lojay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I was diagnosed with having cat scratch fever (CSF) in 1979 when no one really had heard the term other than from a Ted Nugent song. My lymph nodes under one arm were so inflamed and the pain intolerable that I couldn"t move my arm at all. One doctor wanted to lance the infected site and another doctor wanted to remove the nodes all together. I was hospitalized for four days with antibiotics and tests being administered for every known infection from A to Z. Finally, a specialist diagnosed and treated it as CSF. The lump gradually decreased in size and after 3 weeks, had disappeared.

Comment from: catbitten, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I showed none of the typical symptoms of cat scratch disease like swollen lymph, fatigue, fever, etc. However I did get these extremely itchy rashes, exanthem I"m told, all over my body. I have had no prior history of any kind of allergies whatsoever.

Comment from: kitty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was diagnosed with cat scratch fever through blood work. I had very painful enlarged lymph nodes under the arm a couple of weeks after the kitten scratched my arm. The first sign was a sore on my upper arm. Eight years later these nodes still cause tenderness.

Cat Scratch Disease - Reducing Risk Question: In what ways do you try to prevent your cats from scratching people?