Patient Comments: CT Scan - Experience

For someone who has never had a CT scan, please describe what the experience is like.

Comment from: Mae, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have had about five CT scans now since April of 2013. One for diagnosis, one for biopsy, and the others to check progress of my tumors. One cannot eat for four hours beforehand and can have clear liquid up to two hours before. Once you arrive at the hospital, you drink barium (chocolate or berry flavored are my preferred kinds) and wait approximately an hour. When you are called back to the dressing room (wear loose clothing, no metal) I receive a needle and device for dye, sorry, I don"t know what it"s called, in my arm, drink another container of barium and get the CT scan done. You lay on a table that goes in and out of the doughnut (CT) machine, hold your breath and exhale as the machine tells you. After they take a couple of scans, the technician puts the dye in your arm. You may feel flushed and you"ll feel like you are peeing in your pants. You"re not. A couple of more inserts into the machine and you"re done. Drink lots of water afterwards and eat. I usually get diarrhea about two to three hours after the CT scan which gets rid of all the barium. I can usually taste the flavoring for a day or two but that"s all.

Comment from: missdiamond, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I just had a CT scan with contrast. It was the worst experience. I had a headache prior and had to drink 3 cups of this gross drink and then get an IV with iodine. I had the weirdest taste in my mouth, and I felt like I had to use the bathroom. After I came home, I was sick all day with nausea and a headache and I couldn't eat. It was not a fun experience for me.

CT Scan - Helped With Your Diagnosis Question: Please describe how a CT Scan has helped in your diagnosis.
CT Scan (Computerized Axial Tomography) - Causes Question: What caused you to get a CT scan?