Patient Comments: CT Scan - Helped With Your Diagnosis

Please describe how a CT Scan has helped in your diagnosis.

Comment from: Mae, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

After having blood in urine one time, I mentioned it to my doctor and took some medications for infection but minute particles of blood were still there. I didn"t have insurance so I had to pay out of pocket for colonoscopy, endoscopy, and two pints of blood. My hemoglobin was 6 and I was coughing and lost 70 lbs in a year. A CT scan showed I had cancer in my right kidney, adrenal glands, lymph nodes and lungs. A kidney biopsy confirmed I had an aggressive stage 4 kidney (renal cell) cancer. While my cancer is incurable, it is treatable with targeted therapy (daily pills for four weeks, two weeks off). I get a CT scan every three months and so far, my tumors are shrinking. When these pills no longer work, they will try others. My first doctor told me I would live 2 months to a year. Second opinion gave me the same medications but said I could die of something else before the cancer will kill me. I switched doctors!

Comment from: meowmix, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

In December, I was in the hospital diagnosed with gastroenteritis but came back as inpatient within a day of discharge. I drank contrast and had a CT scan which showed that I had an intestinal blockage. The CT scan should have been done the first time but I'm on the road to recovery.

Comment from: joan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I went to the urgent-care center for acute pain in my left side. They did blood work and a urinalysis, thinking it was a kidney infection. The urine came back normal, but blood work showed a definite infection. They sent me to the hospital, where I had more blood work, another urinalysis, and a CT scan. The results of the CT scan showed that I had an infection in my colon. I was not admitted because I wasn't throwing up, nor did I have diarrhea. I was put on two antibiotics and missed three days of work, but I got well. Thank goodness for the CT scan.

Comment from: heartbroken, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

I went to one of the hospitals in our area because of side pain 4 times. This was within a year with the same diagnosis hairline fracture of the rib, they took an x-ray and sent me home with pain killers. I decided to go to the other hospital because they don't ask for insurance until after you are released told them of symptoms now weakness in legs and headaches had developed as well. They did a CT scan. I had cancer, but at this point it had gone to stage 4 as it moved from my lung to my brain. I had swelling on my brain and had to have a shunt put in and only1 tumor removed at the base of the cerebrum. I can't walk well see well 50-50 chance of surviving a year. I have six children and no insurance. Always get a second opinion.

Comment from: CAT SCAN, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

hello there myI once had a cat scan. I was very scared because I never had one before, but I must say that from the moment I walked into the hospital the doctors made me feel very safe in there care it was even the first time I had ever been to the hospital other then when I was born. The reason why I had to get a CT SCAN was because I had very bad lower cramps and at the time I was on my cycle. The first thing they did was give me an IV for a while then I had to drink contrast to light up my organs. I had to go into the room for the scan. There was a very nice doctor there who really made me feel calm because I did not know what was going on. All I knew was that it was a CAT SCAN after I had the SCAN they sent me back to the room to wait for results to come back. I started to get very bored because I was missing my family, friends, and my boyfriend. After a while the results came back in. Come to find out there was no problem going on with my body. I was just having very bad pain my doctor told me not to eat so much of spicy food for while and after that I had to wait for my discharge, so that I could go home after every thing was over. I felt so happy that nothing bad was going wrong! So I would like to send my thanks out to the hospital and all of the doctors who help me over come my fear about coming to the hospital for the first time and I also want to thank this web site for letting me share my experience of having a CT SCAN.

CT Scan (Computerized Axial Tomography) - Causes Question: What caused you to get a CT scan?
CT Scan - Experience Question: For someone who has never had a CT scan, please describe what the experience is like.