Patient Comments: CT Scan - Helped With Your Diagnosis

Please describe how a CT Scan has helped in your diagnosis.

Comment from: kelly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have had abdominal pain for 11 years, and 10 years ago I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis after a CT scan. This week I had my appendix removed and no longer have abdominal pain. The foods I could not eat before because of flares, I can eat again. No bloody stool, no pus, no pain. After surgery, no pain medication needed! I am feeling great! Felt deathly ill for 10 years, now it's better.

Comment from: Mae, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

After having blood in urine one time, I mentioned it to my doctor and took some medications for infection but minute particles of blood were still there. I didn"t have insurance so I had to pay out of pocket for colonoscopy, endoscopy, and two pints of blood. My hemoglobin was 6 and I was coughing and lost 70 lbs in a year. A CT scan showed I had cancer in my right kidney, adrenal glands, lymph nodes and lungs. A kidney biopsy confirmed I had an aggressive stage 4 kidney (renal cell) cancer. While my cancer is incurable, it is treatable with targeted therapy (daily pills for four weeks, two weeks off). I get a CT scan every three months and so far, my tumors are shrinking. When these pills no longer work, they will try others. My first doctor told me I would live 2 months to a year. Second opinion gave me the same medications but said I could die of something else before the cancer will kill me. I switched doctors!

Comment from: meowmix, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

In December, I was in the hospital diagnosed with gastroenteritis but came back as inpatient within a day of discharge. I drank contrast and had a CT scan which showed that I had an intestinal blockage. The CT scan should have been done the first time but I'm on the road to recovery.

Comment from: joan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I went to the urgent-care center for acute pain in my left side. They did blood work and a urinalysis, thinking it was a kidney infection. The urine came back normal, but blood work showed a definite infection. They sent me to the hospital, where I had more blood work, another urinalysis, and a CT scan. The results of the CT scan showed that I had an infection in my colon. I was not admitted because I wasn't throwing up, nor did I have diarrhea. I was put on two antibiotics and missed three days of work, but I got well. Thank goodness for the CT scan.

Comment from: heartbroken, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

I went to one of the hospitals in our area because of side pain 4 times. This was within a year with the same diagnosis hairline fracture of the rib, they took an x-ray and sent me home with pain killers. I decided to go to the other hospital because they don't ask for insurance until after you are released told them of symptoms now weakness in legs and headaches had developed as well. They did a CT scan. I had cancer, but at this point it had gone to stage 4 as it moved from my lung to my brain. I had swelling on my brain and had to have a shunt put in and only1 tumor removed at the base of the cerebrum. I can't walk well see well 50-50 chance of surviving a year. I have six children and no insurance. Always get a second opinion.

Comment from: Missy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I had a CT scan for suspicion of appendicitis. When they injected the dye, my heart went into tachycardia instantly. I take atenolol. I also have PVCs (premature ventricular contractions). They insisted that the cardiac reaction had nothing to do with the dye. I know my own body. I was fine before the dye was injected. The next minute my heart was pounding out of my chest with irregular heartbeats continually.

CT Scan (Computerized Axial Tomography) - Causes Question: What caused you to get a CT scan?
CT Scan - Experience Question: For someone who has never had a CT scan, please describe what the experience is like.