Patient Comments: CT Scan - Helped With Your Diagnosis

Please describe how a CT Scan has helped in your diagnosis.

Comment from: mtlobo2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I had a cold and cough for about a month. After seeking medical attention and an X-ray, the doctor ordered a CT scan to be taken of my chest. I was led to believe that I had pneumonia. The CT scan showed an oval-shaped, soft tissue mass in the right upper lobe of my lung. At that time, I was told that I had lung cancer. A biopsy was performed and concluded that it was cancer. I then had a PET scan to see if the cancer had spread to any other areas of my body. The oval-shaped mass was removed in January of 2008. Because of the early detection found by the CT scan and the removal of the mass, I am now cancer-free. My cancer was Stage 1, which meant I did not have to have chemo or radiation treatments. Now, I have a CT scan done every three months. It has almost been a year, and the CT scan is responsible for the early detection.

Comment from: Italian Princess, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have stage IV non-smoker's lung cancer. I am going through chemo and have a CAT scan every six months. The contrast was spilled on my pants and ruined them, leaving three large spots and smaller ones that ate into my pants. If it did that to my pants, what did it do to my insides? Drink lots of water after a CAT scan to remove the dyes from your system. I am a vegan. I eat organic veggies, take supplements, eat mushrooms, tumeric, vitamin C, D, folic acid and drink lots of green tea. Keep your immune system up.

Comment from: Sue in P.A., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I recently had a CT scan because my doctor thought I had a kidney stone. His nurse suggested maybe it was an ovarian cyst. When I arrived to get my CT scan, I was just curious to see how big my kidney stone was. The CT scan showed I had diverticulitis. That turned my life (and my diet) upside down. I was so thankful my doctor ordered the CT scan so I can get on with my recovery.

Comment from: Judi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I had several CAT scans that helped diagnose my diverticulitis. I went to the emergency room in bad pain and found that I had a perforation in my colon. I was immediately put in the hospital and had several others to see if the heavy antibiotics they gave me were helping to heal the perforation. Thank God they helped heal it. I am having another CT scan again soon as I'm having symptoms again. It's definitely a good thing to have when in doubt.

Comment from: Zoe, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I suddenly developed a low pulse rate of around 36 bpm. A chest X-ray, EKG, and a CT scan found numerous small glass-like tumors. The radiologist thinks I have sarcoidosis affecting the heart, lungs, and liver. A tell-tale sign of impending disease was a sarcoid granuloma on my leg for a couple of years. The only problem was that the dermatologist who did a punch biopsy didn't warn me of possible complications, much to the disgust of my cardiologist. I now have a pacemaker that was implanted within two weeks of the CT scan.

Comment from: little bear, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I had a suspected TIA and was advised to have a CAT scan by the neurologist. They did identify a minor infarction, which may have caused the TIA, with minor damage to an optic nerve. There was some talk of migraine with an aura and no pain, but boy am I getting headaches! It could be stress, as I am having counseling for anxiety. I hope that is it and not something sinister. I may get an MRI scan. I am on beta blocker low-dose aspirin and statins. I did have severe tension headaches many years ago and took Fiorinal. I am aged 69 now and have been fit ( I thought!) until now.

Comment from: Maroni, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I had a rare form of bone cancer that was surgically removed. I had follow-up X-rays to check my lungs that always showed clear. Then, I had a CT scan that showed nodules in my lungs that didn't show up on the X-rays. It's a good thing it was caught in time.

CT Scan (Computerized Axial Tomography) - Causes Question: What caused you to get a CT scan?
CT Scan - Experience Question: For someone who has never had a CT scan, please describe what the experience is like.