Patient Comments: CT Scan - Helped With Your Diagnosis

Please describe how a CT Scan has helped in your diagnosis.

Comment from: JaneF, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

A CT scan revealed sigmoid colitis when I was diagnosed with C Diff by stool sample.

Comment from: lisasho8, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have had a cough since December 2008, and I have been to several doctors. One told me my chest X-ray looked like I have sarcoidosis. Then another one told me that my trachea was damaged when I had bronchitis, which I never knew I had. So, in August, I decided to try someone out of town because I was still coughing and none of the meds worked. I did the PFT test and the doctor looked at my chest X-ray and gave me a CT scan. He called me back the next day and told me I had asthma, and I never knew I had it.

Comment from: sallyjoe86, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I fell face down on a concrete floor in March. I broke my right arm, and also hit my chin and forehead. In August I had an MRI and had surgery for a shattered C5 and C6 disc in my neck. I ended up with 4 screws and a plate in my neck. I have the same symptoms as before my surgery. If I walk at a fast pace or on an uneven surface for about 2 blocks, my head feels like it is going to explode. Even going up a stairway is difficult. The doctors find nothing wrong with me, also my ring finger on my right hand does not bend and it feels like a knife is sticking it. Now on my left hand my finger beside my thumb is the same way. I fell really hard, two days after I fell my left ear felt like I had a full blown out ear infection, but the doctor said I was fine. I feel worse since the surgery! Now my throat feels like I get choked off. Usually by evening I am throwing up. Usually by the end of the day my symptoms are worse. My head hurts only when my head gets moved or "bounced" around and moves around.

Comment from: ali, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I was ill for eight weeks. I would go to the hospital, but the doctors just kept sending me home saying nothing was wrong. I had X-rays and blood tests -- even a camera down my throat -- nothing showed up. Eventually, they offered me a CT scan. Two days later I was diagnosed with bowel cancer that had spread into my liver. Chemo may help, but there is no cure, and I will die from this.

Comment from: Eve, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I am an 80 year old female. I had tight, full, hurting feeling all across my lower belly. (I'd gotten a prescription for pain for another problem - Tylenol 3 - which contains codeine.) Reading the prescription papers, I see that it is constipating, which confirmed my belief it was probably extreme constipation. I called my insurance nurse, expecting her to say to get an enema, but she said to get to the hospital, have them take a picture because it could be something else. I couldn't walk to the car as pain was so intense in walking, so we called an ambulance. CAT scans showed burst appendix, peritonitis, gangrene. Surgeons cleaned the poisons out. I spent a week in ICU. Now I'm well again.

Comment from: mtlobo2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I had a cold and cough for about a month. After seeking medical attention and an X-ray, the doctor ordered a CT scan to be taken of my chest. I was led to believe that I had pneumonia. The CT scan showed an oval-shaped, soft tissue mass in the right upper lobe of my lung. At that time, I was told that I had lung cancer. A biopsy was performed and concluded that it was cancer. I then had a PET scan to see if the cancer had spread to any other areas of my body. The oval-shaped mass was removed in January of 2008. Because of the early detection found by the CT scan and the removal of the mass, I am now cancer-free. My cancer was Stage 1, which meant I did not have to have chemo or radiation treatments. Now, I have a CT scan done every three months. It has almost been a year, and the CT scan is responsible for the early detection.

CT Scan (Computerized Axial Tomography) - Causes Question: What caused you to get a CT scan?
CT Scan - Experience Question: For someone who has never had a CT scan, please describe what the experience is like.