Patient Comments: CT Scan - Helped With Your Diagnosis

Please describe how a CT Scan has helped in your diagnosis.

Comment from: JaneF, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

A CT scan revealed sigmoid colitis when I was diagnosed with C Diff by stool sample.

Comment from: CAT SCAN, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

hello there myI once had a cat scan. I was very scared because I never had one before, but I must say that from the moment I walked into the hospital the doctors made me feel very safe in there care it was even the first time I had ever been to the hospital other then when I was born. The reason why I had to get a CT SCAN was because I had very bad lower cramps and at the time I was on my cycle. The first thing they did was give me an IV for a while then I had to drink contrast to light up my organs. I had to go into the room for the scan. There was a very nice doctor there who really made me feel calm because I did not know what was going on. All I knew was that it was a CAT SCAN after I had the SCAN they sent me back to the room to wait for results to come back. I started to get very bored because I was missing my family, friends, and my boyfriend. After a while the results came back in. Come to find out there was no problem going on with my body. I was just having very bad pain my doctor told me not to eat so much of spicy food for while and after that I had to wait for my discharge, so that I could go home after every thing was over. I felt so happy that nothing bad was going wrong! So I would like to send my thanks out to the hospital and all of the doctors who help me over come my fear about coming to the hospital for the first time and I also want to thank this web site for letting me share my experience of having a CT SCAN.

Comment from: sallyjoe86, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I fell face down on a concrete floor in March. I broke my right arm, and also hit my chin and forehead. In August I had an MRI and had surgery for a shattered C5 and C6 disc in my neck. I ended up with 4 screws and a plate in my neck. I have the same symptoms as before my surgery. If I walk at a fast pace or on an uneven surface for about 2 blocks, my head feels like it is going to explode. Even going up a stairway is difficult. The doctors find nothing wrong with me, also my ring finger on my right hand does not bend and it feels like a knife is sticking it. Now on my left hand my finger beside my thumb is the same way. I fell really hard, two days after I fell my left ear felt like I had a full blown out ear infection, but the doctor said I was fine. I feel worse since the surgery! Now my throat feels like I get choked off. Usually by evening I am throwing up. Usually by the end of the day my symptoms are worse. My head hurts only when my head gets moved or "bounced" around and moves around.

Comment from: ali, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I was ill for eight weeks. I would go to the hospital, but the doctors just kept sending me home saying nothing was wrong. I had X-rays and blood tests -- even a camera down my throat -- nothing showed up. Eventually, they offered me a CT scan. Two days later I was diagnosed with bowel cancer that had spread into my liver. Chemo may help, but there is no cure, and I will die from this.

Comment from: Eve, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I am an 80 year old female. I had tight, full, hurting feeling all across my lower belly. (I'd gotten a prescription for pain for another problem - Tylenol 3 - which contains codeine.) Reading the prescription papers, I see that it is constipating, which confirmed my belief it was probably extreme constipation. I called my insurance nurse, expecting her to say to get an enema, but she said to get to the hospital, have them take a picture because it could be something else. I couldn't walk to the car as pain was so intense in walking, so we called an ambulance. CAT scans showed burst appendix, peritonitis, gangrene. Surgeons cleaned the poisons out. I spent a week in ICU. Now I'm well again.

Comment from: mtlobo2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I had a cold and cough for about a month. After seeking medical attention and an X-ray, the doctor ordered a CT scan to be taken of my chest. I was led to believe that I had pneumonia. The CT scan showed an oval-shaped, soft tissue mass in the right upper lobe of my lung. At that time, I was told that I had lung cancer. A biopsy was performed and concluded that it was cancer. I then had a PET scan to see if the cancer had spread to any other areas of my body. The oval-shaped mass was removed in January of 2008. Because of the early detection found by the CT scan and the removal of the mass, I am now cancer-free. My cancer was Stage 1, which meant I did not have to have chemo or radiation treatments. Now, I have a CT scan done every three months. It has almost been a year, and the CT scan is responsible for the early detection.

CT Scan (Computerized Axial Tomography) - Causes Question: What caused you to get a CT scan?
CT Scan - Experience Question: For someone who has never had a CT scan, please describe what the experience is like.